Starting team and formation without Rene?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Starting team and formation without Rene?

Post by Richinns »

Will be interesting how Ling approaches this as I do not think Jarvis can do the lone role. I would go in 4-4-2 (team below)

Poke (hopefully)

Oastler - Saah - Downes - Nico

Stevens - Lathrope - Craig - Bodin

Jarvis - Thompson

Dropping Manse would be a BIG call but as much as I love el capitano he just is not at it at the moment. Playing Thompson up top as he has more physical presence and would take the defensive responsibilities and naivety away from him (he and Bodin could interchange as and when needed).
Last edited by Richinns on 07 Nov 2012, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Team obviously depends on Thompson being available. Anyone have any info as to why he was not in the match-day squad last night?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Can't see the formation being changed at all. It'd make sense, but I think it'll just be Jarvis up top on his own, meaning we'll be as threatening as a paper plate up front.
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

Surely after Oxford's defensive shambles last night, we're better off gunning for them up front with two attackers?
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

4-3-3

Jarvo, Thommo and Boddo up top

Lathro, Easto and Craigo in the middle.

Lingo will go with steve-o in place of Thommo though.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
miltonkeynesgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by miltonkeynesgull »

Agree with Nick, can't see us deviating from 4-5-1. We went 4-4-2 at Wycombe and we know how that turned out - and we had Howe on that day!

Will surely be a straight swap, with Jarvis in for Howe. Really like Steve's 4-3-3 idea, but again just can't see Lingy doing that.

Also, can't see any reason to drop Manse. Not had his greatest season, but was back to his best last night in my opinion.
jonnyfive
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Gary Clayton

Post by jonnyfive »

Does anyone know what Jarvis is?

All we have learnt about him so far is that he isn't a centre-forward or an inside forward. Perhaps he is a 2nd striker a la Beardsley, Dalglish or Bergkamp. I doubt it though. He seems as if he would be more useful as a book-end.
"Also, stands aren't sentient."
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Not a footballer :lol:
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Why would be play a formation that would require 2 fit strikers when we barely have one?

No change of shape and hope Jarvis can provide a similar contribution to Atieno last season (who did score some important goals when required).
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Lingy wont drop Mansell and to be honest I would agree with him, Mansell isn't the only one going through the ringer right now, when your manager of Torquay you simply can not rest them all.

Lee mansell's influence on the team and general leadership is worth a starting place all on its own, as for Saturday you only thing you could do is either use Yoeman or Bodin in a supporting role to Jarvis, as for Ryan Jarvis give the lad a break, last christmas we faced 4 games with out Rene Howe and we were saying the same things about Atieno, when needed he stepped up to the plate, now its Ryan Jarvis, and Maybe martin Rice aswell, niether will let us down.
Formerly known as forevertufc
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

If we have to play Rice I'd seriously consider a 6-4-0 formation and go for the 0-0 draw.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

If Poke is out and Rice isnt given a go Ill be both very surprised and very disappointed.

Firstly, if theres no budget for a striker, why would there be one for a keeper? Secondly, Why have a back up keeper at all if you wont play him. I think Ricey deserves to get the chance to show us how much hes improved, and if he cocks it up, then we'll look eksewhere. Hes waited more than long enough for his chance!!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

AlexGulls wrote:If we have to play Rice I'd seriously consider a 6-4-0 formation and go for the 0-0 draw.

I'd be a bit more cautious than that Alex mate and go 11-0-0 formation to try and get the draw.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Good shout Andy. I dont mean to be down on our players but I have no confidence in Rice....Like a few others on here aswell clearly!
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

miltonkeynesgull wrote:Will surely be a straight swap, with Jarvis in for Howe. Really like Steve's 4-3-3 idea, but again just can't see Lingy doing that.

Also, can't see any reason to drop Manse. Not had his greatest season, but was back to his best last night in my opinion.
Ooops! :S

Manso in place of Easto of course.....
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.