Paul Cook says players should travel with fans

General chat about anything else goes here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Paul Cook says players should travel with fans

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Interesting piece on the BBC website on new Chesterfield manager Paul Cook saying that players should travel to and from games with the fans on supporters buses to somehow 're-connect' with them and get an empathy and an understanding of how they feel. Cook has been coming out with a lot of things lately which get printed in our local papers but this idea is won't work.

First of all i don't believe players at our level at least are that out of touch with the fans as many clubs like ours are small, family clubs with many people involved with the players on a daily basis. So i don't believe league 2 players would really benefit from travelling with the fans. Premiership players wouldn't benefit either because they are paid so much money not to really give a sh*t what Kevin, a plumber from Altrincham thinks of them. They still get their money and the fame and fortune and any attempt at communicating with fans would be purely on a 'forced to do so' basis.

Another comment that annoyed me recently from Cook and based around his constant 'i'm not at Accrington any more, i'm at a bigger club so i'd better keep spouting bulls*it to make people think i'm a breath of fresh air' is the statement he made in our local rag about Chesterfield being a big club in this league and how they should be winning football matches. I remember Matt saying on many occasions about 'supposed' big clubs in our league who think they have a divine right to win games just because they are a big club and how it p*ssed him off as it's not about how big you are or how many fans you've got, it's about 11 players on a pitch doing it on a weekly basis. This is a point in case. Cook is falling into the trap about thinking that the 'big club' thing will make them a success again. Only Paul Cook and his players can do that and not the club. Maybe the difference in facilities between Accy and Chezzy has addled his brain.

Also Cook said that he had planned to take the players for a walk in the town but decided against it becuase they may get abuse. Note to Cook, firstly he hasn't obviously BEEN in Chesterfield town centre on a weekday. They won't get any abuse because there ain't no frigger in there! Secondly, unless they are wearing full kit and boots, nobody is gonna have a cat in hells chance of knowing who they are anyway. The very fact that he WANTED them to wander around in full kit AND go on supporters coaches indicates that he thinks Chesterfield are somehow like Real Madrid and he has definately got ideas above his station. There was a Chesterfield player behind me in my local co-op the other night, he was in full kit and i think it was Neal Trotman but wasn't 100% sure. Nobody batted an eyelid as nobody knows who he is!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I quite like the idea, as it happens. It's piss poor timing from Cook, to suggest that his mighty Chesterfield are too good to be losing three of four matches and to be in 18th place. The idea, however, is a really nice one. I once came across the boys taking a pre-match stroll along the Bournemouth seafront, it was really nice to be able to chat to them so close to kick off and get some idea of how they prepare individually for a game. I guess it would depend upon how the players felt about it and what not, but it might be an idea for maybe a couple of players to head up on the supporters coach to some of the closer matches (perhaps only Plymouth, Exeter and Rovers). It might encourage a few more seats to be taken on the coach. Might have a think about this and pitch it.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

I think it would be a better idea that the players are made to travel back on supporters coaches after performance like yesterday. It might make them think twice about strolling around the pitch and not putting in the effort if they new they where going to have to face the supporters after the game.
Paignton70Stephen
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: matt hockley

Post by Paignton70Stephen »

I remember (with other Gulls fans) travelling back from SWANSEA once after our coach broke down on the way home...Gary Nelson sat on the step/floor of the coach due to there being NO spare seats !!