Bristol Rovers sack Mark McGhee

General chat about anything else goes here.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Bristol Rovers sack Mark McGhee

Post by Gullscorer »

Not unexpected. They sack at least one manager every season. Now they'll be looking for another new manager.

Wonder who it will be..??
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

Gullscorer wrote:Not unexpected. They sack at least one manager every season. Now they'll be looking for another new manager.

Wonder who it will be..??
They usually look to nick another club's manager, so I guess it will be somebody currently in a job. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to poach Tisdale from Shi*ty.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

..and he wouldn't go there. John Ward could maybe have been a good shout had he not just joined Argyle..
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Tisdale is a top manager for this level and Rovers would be lucky to have him (I know, he's Exeter-related but I genuinely think he's a top manager). However, where Tisdale has always beaten his former assistant Buckle is when it comes to loyalty. Tisdale has previously turned down interviews with clubs in higher leagues and I'm glad City didn't sack him when they got relegated. Loyalty is a rare thing in football and I have to say it's nice to see two parties at the club that are so loyal to eachother.

Okay, that's my last pro-Exeter comment. Apologies to all Gulls' fans I have offended.

As to who will get the Rovers job I think it'll be someone unemployed, as they often say on their forum that they are lacking some money there at the moment. And there are always sh*t loads of out-of-work managers who would jump at the chance to return to employment
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
EmetEdadsBeard
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Andy Gurney

Post by EmetEdadsBeard »

They can have Dave Jones before he gets Wednesday relegated before the end of January! :@
'Never argue with an idiot, they drag you down to their level then beat you with their experience!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Shame. They were nailed on for the Conference with that joker in charge, which would have been just about fair given their attitude. That said, given that they've been utterly, utterly hopeless under the stewardship of about 400 managers in the last 5 years or so, I don't really see what difference yet another change is likely to make.
Cue a massive clearout and a splurge of cash in the transfer window. More guys panic signed on massive four grand a week contracts who will do just about enough, but ultimately fail spectacularly. Bristol Rovers has a cancerous heart and they continue to attempt a cure by removing the head.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

No It is very unlikely it will be John Ward. He was enticed from York City by Rovers years ago I i had the fortune to have a birthday meeting with him when Rovers lived in Bath at The Twerton Azteca. He didn't seem to set the place alight but I thought he was a thoughtfull and intelligent manager. he provides stability even if not much progression.
I think they wil gamble on a guy who has done well previously in non league. But we wait to see. No Guys Paul Buckle won't be in the frame. lol.
I know lets send em a letter from Ferrari Lover. HE will be ideal for the job. :lol:
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

I wonder if Rovers might give some consideration to the elephant in the room: maybe, just maybe, the problem isn't the managers that they seem to go through with regularity, but something else inherent in the club.
TUST member 203
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

They should never have sacked Trollope, not that I imagine he is complaining, coaching Norwich, the second best team in Europe (on form, second only behind Barcelona).
I imagine they'll will go for someone currently unemployed. I don't know what their finances are like but sacking managers costs money, I imagine Mark McGhee would have been on a fare whack.

Maybe Marcus Stewart will take the step up, or Shaun North.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

Ex Fleetwood manager.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Q: Is pirates defender Adam Virgo correct when saying on BBC Sport today that it is the players who have let down McGhee this season and are partly responsible for the mess they find themselves in?

AndyAnswer: McGhee is the manager of the team and is ultimately responsible. He brings in the players he wants and sells the players he wants. He selects the players to play in whatever position he wants them to play on a match by match basis. Therefore if a particular player is not giving the team 100% or is struggling for form it is up to McGhee as an experienced and competent manager to identify these players and encourage and cajole them into playing better in the next game. If this doesn't happen, which it sounds like it hasn't been, then McGhee has a duty to remove them from the team and replace them with other players who may be willing and able to grasp the opportunity. Should this not work out then it is apparent that McGhee isn't able to manage Bristol Rovers effectively and therefore should be dismissed and replaced by someone who may be in a position to do better. The players have nothing to do with it, the manager picks them and if they are pulling a fast one or playing like disorientated farm animals in a slaughterhouse then it is up to the manager to see this and act accordingly, the correct course of action will see improvements. He didn't take the correct course of action so he isn't very good. It really IS as simple as that.

Q: Is the chaos going on in the background at the Mem having an effect on results and performances?

AndyAnswer: I believe so but it shouldn't. As a player, you get paid then do your best for your club regardless. As a manager, you get paid and do your best for your club regardless. At the end of the day Bristol Rovers have a squad of players and they play a game of football on some grass and get paid for it. They then go home and go and play on the playstation, have a w*nk or put some dinner on. Why should anything else have an effect on how they play? It's just more excuses for bad management.

Q: Is chairman Nick Higgs right to sympathise with McGhee due to the team suffering injuries this season?

AndyAnswer: Yes, of course it is unfortunate and it means McGhee has to continually shuffle his team; however, it's part and parcel of football and Rovers have a bigger squad than many others in our league so should be able to cope reasonably well and not be 2nd bottom. Look at Torquay, we have a squad as thin as Mario Balotelli's penis and we've done without nearly all of our back four at various points this season due to suspension, we've had two key players out through injury ( Morris and Macklin ) also had our only decent striker out through suspension and also Lee Mansell out for 3 games. Bodin has been injured, Jarvis is now injured and i think Stevens has been injured. We sit just outside the play offs. I'm sorry but all the sympathy in the world isn't going to convince me that McGhee has done a shocking job and deserved to be sacked.

Q: What now for Rovers?

AndyAnswer: There is no real definitive answer to this, they may appoint another manager who turns out to be equally as sh*t as McGhee and equally as hideous as Buckle or they may take off and make a late push for the play offs. Whatever happens, you can make all the excuses you like for a manager but if, like a succession of Rovers managers in the last few years, if they are not doing as expected it is because they aren't doing their job properly whether they had previously had success at another club or not. The manager picks the the team and is responsible for results and if he is too weak to wield the axe, to aggressive that players play in fear or whatever his style, he has to manage the players as best he can in order to get the best out of them. Nobody can seem to do that at Rovers.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
GazTheGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: ...

Post by GazTheGull »

Sky Sports reporting that John Ward has been appointed new Bristol Rovers manager.

EDIT: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20755396
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Oh dear, reading the Rovers board it seems that it isn't only their boardroom who never learn. When successively Buckle, then McGee were appointed, it looks exactly as it does now, full of threads and posts about how he is a top drawer manager, how they're gonna piss all over the division, how he needs to be given pots of cash to splurge in January, how they need to back him and get 10,000 fans back at the Mem. Little do they realise that, because a managerial change is not the answer to their much deeper lying problems, that they are doomed to failure before they start. Still, it'll be funny watching them just about scrape out of trouble this year, only to repeat the cycle next.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
miagsygas
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by miagsygas »

ferrarilover wrote:Oh dear, reading the Rovers board it seems that it isn't only their boardroom who never learn. When successively Buckle, then McGee were appointed, it looks exactly as it does now, full of threads and posts about how he is a top drawer manager, how they're gonna piss all over the division, how he needs to be given pots of cash to splurge in January, how they need to back him and get 10,000 fans back at the Mem. Little do they realise that, because a managerial change is not the answer to their much deeper lying problems, that they are doomed to failure before they start. Still, it'll be funny watching them just about scrape out of trouble this year, only to repeat the cycle next.

Matt.
Haven't posted on here for a while, but i know you've always held a little bit (understatement) of a grudge for us, but where the hell have people been saying we'll piss over the division. Or even that he's a top drawer manager? Of course people say he needs to be backed in January, we're second from bottom with a crap squad and some of our 'better players' leaving their loan deals in Jan. The majority of fans realize that the problems are deeper than the manager, that being said at the start of a new manager coming in their is always a little bit of optimism. Let's face it, we can only get one place worse or better. I still think we're highly probable to go down in this year, but you're post is so bitter and deluded i couldn't resist logging back in. We took your manager a few years ago, a few of our fans were assholes about it, you ended up better off than us. Time to get over it? Most Torquay fans i've spoke to have.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Welcome back Miagsygas. In fact, most Torquay fans would be very sad to see Rovers go down, just as we really don't want Argyle to be relegated. Football in the westcountry generally would be the poorer for it, and the potential for higher league football would be wasted. And we should miss all those local (even if you are 100 miles away) derbies..!!