Capital One League Cup

General chat about anything else goes here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Cheltenham on the other hand.................. :whistle:
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

We all know that upsets happen but for a Premier League side to concede THREE goals to a L2 side and not one a penalty, i find it absolutely disgraceful considering the team they had out on the pitch. I hope Bradford go on and win the thing. They haven't done anything special, all they have done is battle their hearts out in games THEY HAVE WANTED TO WIN. I feel joy for Bradford but total sorrow how a team whose players are on hundreds of thousands a week and play international football can let this happen. I hope Villa go down because they are a total disgrace and the club may wish to refund the fans that went last night. Great drama and great for the cup but personal responsibility and attitude is sadly lacking at Villa and that means a long hard relegation battle.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

austrianandygull wrote:We all know that upsets happen but for a Premier League side to concede THREE goals to a L2 side and not one a penalty, i find it absolutely disgraceful considering the team they had out on the pitch. I hope Bradford go on and win the thing. They haven't done anything special, all they have done is battle their hearts out in games THEY HAVE WANTED TO WIN. I feel joy for Bradford but total sorrow how a team whose players are on hundreds of thousands a week and play international football can let this happen. I hope Villa go down because they are a total disgrace and the club may wish to refund the fans that went last night. Great drama and great for the cup but personal responsibility and attitude is sadly lacking at Villa and that means a long hard relegation battle.
Is that a joke?

As for Cheltenham, Moyes showed the FA Cup the respect it deserves, which is a rarity for Prem teams. Everton are the best theyve been for years, so it was no surprise to see them hit 5 at Chelts.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Watch highlights of both semi-final first legs on The League Cup Show on BBC One & the BBC Sport website from 23:05 GMT on Wednesday, 9 January.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Nick , i meant that they had stuck to their principles of pressing, wanting the ball and getting at Villa and played some good football in parts. If Villa had done the same then the greater class should have told. They didn't do anything special such as the way they played i was referring to. Of course beating a Premier League side 3-1 at home is special but in terms of how they achieved it they did what needed to be done. You'll no doubt say,'how did you expect them to go about doing it as they are a league 2 side and you shouldn't expect them to play like Brazil' and i'd say, "i expected them to do exactly what i've just said which isn't doing anything special and i don't expect them to play like Brazil".

It's not a joke but have the explanation anyway.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Oh and i agree with you about the Cheltenham game. Moyes wanted this, he didn't f*ck about and he made sure his players knew what they could be in for. Everton are a quality, quality side and they can play football in all sorts of different ways and be fully effective at it. You could argue that Everton have an inner belief and grit instilled by Moyes whilst the teams beaten by Bradford ( Arsenal & Villa ) are so brittle and lack leadership that if it were Everton who had gone to Bradford there would have been only one winner.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

It really is a funny old game. Though not guaranteed, but what odds would you have got for a Bradford City v Swansea final? It really is crazy just thinking about it.
Lucy
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Don't forget there is the 2nd legs to be played yet Lucy but the odds would have been big no doubt. The sad fact is that i would love to watch a Bradford v Swansea final but if it were Villa v Chelsea i probably wouldn't even switch on the telly. I do hope it stays as it is. Another sad fact is that whenever there is a final sniff at glory for the underdog, it always falls at the last hurdle and so i'm going for a Villa v Swansea final. I hope and pray that Bradford get there because, through gritted teeth, they have respected the competition and given their all in EVERY game and they DESERVE the final so much and if they don't get there then there is no such thing as a footballing God. I know there is no REAL God but a footballing God i would like to think exists! Come on the Bantams and Swans! It's an avian final!
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Am I right in thinking that if Chelsea turn around their tie and make the final and Bradford maintain their lead to reach the final that Bradford could get a Europa League spot if Chelsea qualify for the Champions League via the Premier League? (League overload!)
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I'm 99% sure that's the case Steve. At least if Bradford do get into the Europa League they'll probably be the only club in there who gives a toss about it.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

stevegull wrote:Am I right in thinking that if Chelsea turn around their tie and make the final and Bradford maintain their lead to reach the final that Bradford could get a Europa League spot if Chelsea qualify for the Champions League via the Premier League? (League overload!)
In thoery yes, in practise the final decision on what clubs that are entered into to Europe rests with the F.A, last season Spurs finished 4th however I believe was the F.A who entered Chelsea as the winners into the Champions league ahead of Spurs who went into the Europa league. Champions league winners do not get automatic entry into the follow seasons competition.

If that were to happen it would not surprise me one bit if an extra Europa league spot was not added to the premier league, and the end of the day however big a club Bradford were or are now they are League 2 not sure they would be able fund provide a squad cable of entering the Europa league.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Please forgive my last post is complete Ballocks.

Just looked it up, if a team wins the Champions league and does not finish in a quailfying position they automaticly take the place of the 4th place finishing club.

And if the team that wins the League cup has already quailfied then an extra place automaticly goes to the premier league, so the only way Bradford can get into the Europa league is if they win the league cup.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Well, they've done it! Bradford City beat Aston Villa 4-3 on aggregate and are in the Capital One Cup final at Wembley!

The League Two team players of Bradford cost around £7500 in total. Aston Villa are still in the FA Cup, but you wouldn't want to bet on them, unless it's on relegation from the Premier League.

I remember years ago the Gulls beat Aston Villa 1-0 at Villa Park in a league game (the old Div 3..?). Does anyone rember exactly when that was?
Last edited by Gullscorer on 23 Jan 2013, 01:32, edited 1 time in total.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Remarkable achievement and Aston Villa as a football club should be refunding ALL ticket prices first thing tomorrow as they are an absolute disgrace. They lost to a side 3 leagues below them over 2 games and conceded 4 goals. Hats off to the Bantams but Villa really need to look at themselves and if they don't give refunds to the fans then i hope they get relegated.

Well done Bradford and lets hope Swansea can hang on tomorrow and it will be a final i eagerly anticipate for once.