The sooner we get a coach in the better...

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
tktufc91
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Dan Lavercombe

The sooner we get a coach in the better...

Post by tktufc91 »

Sorry but Taylor has absolutely no clue what he's doing. Same old same old.

It's time that Craig gets a run in the centre of midfield instead of out wide, where he is underutilized. Why Benyon didn't come on sooner i will never know. He had 45 minutes during the week and only 10 today?

I hope our look for a coach progresses quickly because we are in a bad way right know.

Still going to Aldershot on Tuesday to support the team, but it's getting harder and harder to bother listening in anymore.
Na, na na, NA NA NA NA, NA NA NA NA, TORQUAY!
Forest gull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Steve Cooper
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Forest gull »

Spot on. Why is it we can all see the obvious but the club can't ffs??????

Forest Green will be our derby next season at this rate. 15 games 13 points says it all.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Trouble is Tom when you read this article, it very much reads that Shaun Taylor will be left in charge and who ever comes in will be very much in a supporting role...http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 57854.aspx

Rochdale in their last 6 games leading up to today had picked up 2pts, compared to our 4pts, they were in worse current form than us, we managed 1 bleedin shot on target in the 5th minute, Dale's keeper has just had the afternoon off for christ sake.

We persist with Nathan Craig on the right, fish out of water springs to mind, we get to 60 minutes and take him off "oh my days" Why ? Why bring Benyon in on loan ? A different option with Howe back today and we persist with the same old, same old tired way of playing.

Mr Simon Baker, you say football matters are in the hands of Shaun Taylor, you say it is his call. Wrong it is your call and actions speak louder than words, yep you have said all the right things, now do the right things.

I am not insensitive to the situation with Martin Ling and have passed on my best wishes, but if you carry on with Shaun " one idea, no idea" Taylor, we are going down.

If Lingy is not coming back this season, you need to bring someone in to run the team, in charge calling the shots, now is not the time to get all noble.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Dave - I would say that the Board look at it a lot differently to Taylor then:

http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... 57004.aspx

I read that as them saying that a guy with managerial experience will come in and, in effect, run the team

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

As I just mentioned in the matchday thread, if we're honest with ourselves then the problems didn't just suddenly start when Taylor took over, did they? We've been sliding for a LONG time before then, and people we saying the same about Ling as they were for Taylor.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Well indeed I hope your right Scott, Lingy appears to off suffering from bad headaches, no one at the moment knows when or if he will come back, stating the obvious we only have 37 pts, and 16 players out of contract in the summer.

I am glad we have a board of directors that do not meddle in the football side of the club and allow the manager/coaching staff to run things their way. However with all the above taken into account, NOW IS THE TIME FOR SOMEONE TO TAKE COMMAND OF THE CLUB.

Madgull you are correct, but as said I am not insesitive to the fact Lingy is ill, and we should give him some privacy.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

madgull wrote:As I just mentioned in the matchday thread, if we're honest with ourselves then the problems didn't just suddenly start when Taylor took over, did they? We've been sliding for a LONG time before then, and people we saying the same about Ling as they were for Taylor.
Yes, I think you are right. The team Taylor put out is not any different to what I would expect Martin Ling to have fielded. Once we were a goal down, with Ling or Taylor, I would not have expected us to equalise and win.

Whilst I desperately want Martin Ling to recover and enjoy good health and mental well-being, on the basis of recent form, at a lot of clubs his tenure would have been starting to look vulnerable anyway. If a new coach comes in and does very well, it will leave the club with some conundrum if they have to relieve the new of man his duties to accommodate a return of Martin Ling.

I have a feeling that we may have seen the last of Martin Ling because it will just be very difficult to return when someone else has been in the chair. The moment things start to go wrong the crowd would be calling for the interim manager and I wonder whether he would be well enough to cope with that, especially if this illness is in any way stress related.
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

forevertufc wrote:Well indeed I hope your right Scott, Lingy appears to off suffering from bad headaches, no one at the moment knows when or if he will come back, stating the obvious we only have 37 pts, and 16 players out of contract in the summer.

I am glad we have a board of directors that do not meddle in the football side of the club and allow the manager/coaching staff to run things their way. However with all the above taken into account, NOW IS THE TIME FOR SOMEONE TO TAKE COMMAND OF THE CLUB.

Madgull you are correct, but as said I am not insesitive to the fact Lingy is ill, and we should give him some privacy.
Sorry Dave. That's below the belt. I can accept that you are depressed about the situation. I can accept that you look on things a little on the black side. But
I will not accept anyone belittling anyone who has been taken ill by statements like, "Off with a bad headache".
We do not actually know what is wrong with Martin..bar what the club have said. and we have accept that on face value. The illness is debilitating. If you have any sensitivity at all you would know that his hitting Martin right below the belt.
I doubt you have ever had any serious illness at all, If you have then you would know what it is like to have someone claim it wasn't that serious just a case of bad headaches etc. I have a serious very debilitating spinal condition. It is causing severe problem to the point I have to give up a lot of things I previously enjoyed. The Pain I suffer i do not boast about, I also have people say I just have a bit of backache. They cannot possibly know or really care what it is like.
having met you You didn't come across as someone who doesn't really care. Please don't make statements like that. It serves no purpose but to make things worse as words do sometimes get back and how do you think he will feel like if his own supporter think that he is just suffering a few bad headaches,. After all if it turns out to be something really serious will you be there with an apology?
Also does anyone really think this doesn't affect Shaun as well. MArtin is his freind, he cannot possibly have his mind all on the game. It is on the boards mind and they should have the situation in hand, they can't sort it out immediatly. I doubt any prospective new man at the helm will let them. he will want to sort things out in his own mind as to whether he wants the job or whether the terms are right. he wants security. It will all take time. Granted it time we don't really have. That's sonething we will all have to bite the bullet with. I don't like us being at the bottom but I have to have faith that it will come right in the end. After all I have followed United for long enough to see that we are usually at the bottom.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Mav
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by Mav »

Gloster i think you are misreading what Dave has said, he is not belittling the manger, he is just repeating what has been reported by the press "The 46-year-old has been suffering from headaches but doctors remain unsure of the cause. "
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

things have been on the slide way before taylor took over. the management team have prefered a negative approach of safe, hard to beat football. taylor is only doing things in the way he and ling have been doing them for much of their time at torquay. there has been no great change. the trouble is there is no plan b.

there is no inclination to attack or play a positive formation. its as if they are thinking if they change now its like admitting they have been wrong all this time. pride and ego get in the way in football all the time.

premiership, european and international teams can play all the fancy formations they like, it does not work at this level. we need fast effective football. playing 1 man up top always shows the other team we are going to be defensive. 4-4-2 is our best hope.

if all the supporters can see whats going on why cant the coaching team. not changing things up and having a plan b shows they dont trust their players enough. it is no good putting square pegs in round holes just so certain players can play in the game. we do have a few playing just because of who they are or because of their past glories. maybe taking a "risk" and dropping them will give them the kick up the arse they need.

we need a change desperately because things arent working.what more harm could it do.i would rather try something new and fail rather than keep on with the same old thing and fail anyway. we are not even giving ourselves a chance.

playing football on the deck is always the most effective form of the game, it helps you retain the ball better, therefore not giving the opposition as much chance. it is also much harder to defend against. when we play the ball on the floor and attack we actually look quite decent. so why do we keep hoofing the ball to players that arent there or expecting 1 man to battle and do it all and then flick the ball on to players who arent there.

yes some of the players need to take a look at themselves and take some of the blame. then again if they are not performing then they should not be playing. the crisis is down to team selection, formation, tactics and style of play.

we must change now or indeed we are doomed.

:scarf:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I know what your saying MAv. But the way the press reports thing these days is insensitive. Anyone who suffers from anything debilitating is suffering. And if it's serious it doesn't help to report it in a way that makes it look as if it wasn't that bad.
Imagine how we ould feel if we had some report that one of us was suffering a bit of Stomach ache.and it turned out to be cancer. Others poeple tend to take it as read and if the person takes time off they get harranged for taking time off without good cause.
I have had a lot of it for years. I don't want to go on about it yet others really make it out to be nothing. I am sometimes made to feel as if I am not doing my bit which is unfair. It does not help to repeat what others say or think. it could rebound.
By the way on a similar tack. Can you please look at a post I have just made on Banter board. it makes one realise football is not the be all and end all. Mabe some of you can then offer a word of support. Thanks guys
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Dave Caldwell
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by Dave Caldwell »

Its a very difficult position for the Chairman, remember the manager he is looking for "needs to be available" which means he has already failed somewhere else! Their next move needs to the correct one or it could end their managerial career, so WHY would they take it on! Also in some cases why would you want them!

Also if Shaun Taylor cant step into the role , why is he there in the first place, the role of assistant manager is to assist and add value and fill in for the manager when required and keep continuity in game plan and strategy, Shaun was a tough player, but managment requires different skill sets to be successful so only time will know!

Last 5 years relagation points in league 2, no one has gone down with 48 points, so worst case this should be a target if a relagation battle is looming. 15 games to play, possible 45 points, 37 current, 11pts from 15 games 3 WINS and 2 DRAWS out of 15 games 45 pts, this should be achievable.

Relagation points:
2011/12 44 and 37
2010/11 47 and 41
2009/10 44 and 30
2008/09 37 and 26
2007/08 42 and 40

I dont think its time to panic just yet, give Shaun more time as they are not leaking goals, this is a very good sign so i would predict unless confidence is rock bottom and they free fall, i would have the squad in the dressing room and re-assure them of the facts and get them to commit to fight and scratch for every ball, win every tackle, never give up, its not the time for panic, but it is a time for a battle cry!!!
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Sorry Andy. I had not meant my post about Lingys illness to seem the way you have taken it, I am not the sort of person that would ever intend to cause offence to anyone, let alone your good self or Martin Ling.

we talked on the way to Cheltenham, and one thing we spoke about is my poor spelling and grammar, I can imagine that my posts often do not come across how they are intended. I had not in any way meant to belittle the illness that Lingy has right now. It was reported in the media, I have also personaly heard the same thing from one person who I know and trust the two coupled together lead me to believe that is the case, and of course suffering from constant and very bad headaches would indeed be very debilatating, and I had not meant it to seem any other way, as said I have passed on my best wishes.

However we feel though Andy, one thing is very true, the league will not wait, and I care very, very much about the club, I am very well aware of what relegation to the conference will mean for the club, from the outside looking in as I do, I can not see enough action being taken to prevent that, it is not making depressed, it is making me down right angry, there seems to be a lot of people shrugging shoulders, giving it, oh well Lingy off, oh well we will be ok, oh well been worse before. no, if it does not change and soon we are going down and that oh well, we will be ok attitude is the very thing that will just be it happen all the more quicker, all I want is for poeple at the club to show me they are acting and things are going change.

As said Andy I am truely sorry if I have offended you, was never meant.
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

All of this sort of makes think we all took Ling for granted at the beginning of the season, slating him for playing too defensive, but it's times like this we could have had draws/wins against Fleetwood, Rotherham etc. that would have really helped.
david gravy

Post by david gravy »

The situation with Ling has not helped thats for sure. Now our predicament isn't Taylors fault but over the last two games he has proved himself to be completely clueless. His aftermatch interview yesterday was embarassing and made absolutely no sense whatsoever.
What was the point of signing Benyon if we are not going to play him?
As has already been said we persist in playing Craig on the wing every game and very game he is taken off. Yeoman was our best player against Rotherham and never featured yesterday.
I would like us to use a combination of Macklin and Thomson on one wing (one as a sub) which should give us constant pace down one flank. Bodin on the other wing and Howe and Benyon up the middle.
If Taylor is in charge on Tuesday we wil no doubt play for a draw and lose 1-0 again. We just have to start scoring goals.