What position do we need to strengthen

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
exiledgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Jarvis

What position do we need to strengthen

Post by exiledgull »

Hi All, been a long time on-looker on the this message board and finally decided to sign up,

I went yesterday and seemed fairly positive about the events yesterday and upon reading Knill's report on the OS I agree with him we just need some fine tuning. I think additions are inevitable for us, but what positions are key? I thought it was time for Nico to be given some time on the bench and yesterday he looked like his old self! I think we need a central midfielder someone who has the creative spark.

What positions do you think we need to strengthen to avoid the relegation?
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

drop nico, play craig CM. simple.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Someone that can score
Lucy
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

All of the above?
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

Welcome to the forum, exiledgull.

I'd say we need a creative CM if Craig isn't up to the job yet. However, it's hard to find a youngster from a 'top' club that would be good enough to take on the mantle of being in the heart of a League Two midfield. They might need time to develop into the role but we can't afford to give that time in the position we are in.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Welcome exiledgull. I'm in the camp who believes there is no need to start messing about with the squad wholesale and improvement can come from within, a bit like what Martin Ling said ages ago but sadly he wasn't the man to bring about this improvement. I do believe he was right though to a certain extent.

We've got Benners who should be used properly, we all know his strengths and weaknesses. The only other addition i would make to the squad is to bring in a hustle and bustle target frontman. This can help in games when we resort to lumping the ball up second half especially otherwise it's a case of simply playing the players in the correct positions ( Craig in the centre ) and dropping the players who have more than their fair share of opportunities to come good like Nico. Like Steve said, we'd like a creative midfielder to come in but we've only got 13 games left and who is going to come in who is going to change things around so quick? We have replacement players in all positions so let's use them and see if they are up for claiming a first team spot on a regular basis. Also we need to use Thompson more. That's pretty much it really, i just think we need tweaking and a change in dynamics and attitude and we'll be absolutely fine.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
stevegull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Bedeau

Post by stevegull »

austrianandygull wrote:Welcome exiledgull. I'm in the camp who believes there is no need to start messing about with the squad wholesale and improvement can come from within, a bit like what Martin Ling said ages ago but sadly he wasn't the man to bring about this improvement. I do believe he was right though to a certain extent.

We've got Benners who should be used properly, we all know his strengths and weaknesses. The only other addition i would make to the squad is to bring in a hustle and bustle target frontman. This can help in games when we resort to lumping the ball up second half especially otherwise it's a case of simply playing the players in the correct positions ( Craig in the centre ) and dropping the players who have more than their fair share of opportunities to come good like Nico. Like Steve said, we'd like a creative midfielder to come in but we've only got 13 games left and who is going to come in who is going to change things around so quick? We have replacement players in all positions so let's use them and see if they are up for claiming a first team spot on a regular basis. Also we need to use Thompson more. That's pretty much it really, i just think we need tweaking and a change in dynamics and attitude and we'll be absolutely fine.
I could have sworn you were calling for vast loan reinforcements! Or you think Benyon is enough?

We haven't got a bad first 11. I think we could just do with two new extra faces to keep up competition for places.
Maybe one day, Carayol will find London...
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I was asking for one or two attackers well before Christmas that's all Steve. Now, now, don't take the michael! :lol:

I reckon the rest of the squad are ok within reason and we just needed that bit of impetus up front. Not convinced Benners is enough so i'd like another big man too. :)
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

austrianandygull wrote:Welcome exiledgull. I'm in the camp who believes there is no need to start messing about with the squad wholesale and improvement can come from within, a bit like what Martin Ling said ages ago but sadly he wasn't the man to bring about this improvement. I do believe he was right though to a certain extent.

I wouldn't pin your hopes on Elliot Benyon. He was hit-and-miss the first time he was here and then gone on to do absolutely nothing since he left. What I have seen of him since his return explains why he was 8th choice striker at another League 2 club.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I know what you're saying hector and you're right. That's why i thought with the addition of a big man too we could mix and match it up a bit. To be fair to benners though he got about 3 minutes af game time in his first 3 games back with us so it's unfair to write him off on that basis but i do know where you're coming from and i'm not pinning my hopes on him just that he may be able to add a couple of goals from somewhere whilst with us.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

austrianandygull wrote:I know what you're saying hector and you're right. That's why i thought with the addition of a big man too we could mix and match it up a bit. To be fair to benners though he got about 3 minutes af game time in his first 3 games back with us so it's unfair to write him off on that basis but i do know where you're coming from and i'm not pinning my hopes on him just that he may be able to add a couple of goals from somewhere whilst with us.
Fair enough - I know what you mean!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

A lot of it is about confidence and getting a game plan to work to that everyone knows their job and it isn't NEGATIVE. If you compare some of the teams squads down near the bottom and ours there is no way we should be where we are. I'm not saying we should be battling for promotion but the underachievement from this group of players is bad.
Dockers Pal
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by Dockers Pal »

A difficulty for us fans is that under Ling there were effectively 11 shirt holders who played each week unless they were injured or suspended and they got they got the shirt back when they were available. This has meant that the 17? other players (inc the loanees and the young lads recently contracted) have only occasional starts in the team, so we only get to see them in development games and Devon Bowl games. We don't really know enough of their strengths and weaknesses. From so little game time how do Knill and Taylor make these judgements. To me this is a fundamental weakness in managing with the squad. I suggest most managers (and I suspect successful ones) will give more opportunities to the squad members to play in the first XI.
So it is probably understandable for Knill to call upon players he knows better from elsewhere at this crucial moment even though we will then have over 30 players in our pool.
What do you think?
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Thought yesterday was Nicho's best game in a while, however been saying for while to try Cruise so not sure if a left back really is needed, experience wise I would say a right back would not go a miss, thought some of Leadbitter defensive work was ok, apart from one hashed clearence that went straight across our back line, however his attempts to cross a ball into the box just became embarrasing, and thats is mainly down to in-experience.

Winger with pace, already have it at the club, Lloyd Macklin, thought he turned things when he came on against Rotherham, and the first thing he did yesterday, was skin the Vale full back and put a perfect ball into the box, the lad clearly has the bit between the teeth please give him chance.

Simply do not see the point of bringing in a striker unless we have some one in middle who can create, one of the main reasons why there were few headers in the box was no decent ball crossed in for anyone to head, we could sign a striker but what is the point with no service, as said a number of times what service or creative play are you going to get from mansell/Easton/Lathrope.

If not Nathan Craig then please a positive/creative attacking midfielder, yesterday it was crying out for it, as said also how many times is the ball being into the middle for one of our midfielders just to stop or turn backwards.
Formerly known as forevertufc
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

forevertufc wrote:Thought yesterday was Nicho's best game in a while, however been saying for while to try Cruise so not sure if a left back really is needed, experience wise I would say a right back would not go a miss, thought some of Leadbitter defensive work was ok, apart from one hashed clearence that went straight across our back line, however his attempts to cross a ball into the box just became embarrasing, and thats is mainly down to in-experience.

Winger with pace, already have it at the club, Lloyd Macklin, thought he turned things when he came on against Rotherham, and the first thing he did yesterday, was skin the Vale full back and put a perfect ball into the box, the lad clearly has the bit between the teeth please give him chance.

Simply do not see the point of bringing in a striker unless we have some one in middle who can create, one of the main reasons why there were few headers in the box was no decent ball crossed in for anyone to head, we could sign a striker but what is the point with no service, as said a number of times what service or creative play are you going to get from mansell/Easton/Lathrope.

If not Nathan Craig then please a positive/creative attacking midfielder, yesterday it was crying out for it, as said also how many times is the ball being into the middle for one of our midfielders just to stop or turn backwards.

I see what you're saying with this Dave and i agree that our midfield lacks creativity but i think it's partly down to the lack of options being offered to them from some of our front men. They need to be the fulcrum of the attacks, show for the midfielders and give us the creativity from their link up play. I mean we have Bodin, Stevens, Thompson, Howe to hold the ball up, Macklin, Benyon to be the last man and also Jarvis who can link play. We should be looking to them to create as is what they are good at apparently. I just don't think the defensive players in the team have any faith in the attack except Howe and the attackers should really be making things happen. I'm probably talking boll*cks again but that is my view. :-D