The Torquay United programme

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
sam
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: downes

The Torquay United programme

Post by sam »

What do the members of this forum think. The current programme is 64 pages and costs £3. There is some reading but also plenty of photographs that pad it out considerably. I am sure a considerable amount of work occurs for each issue. One aspect I do not like is that the cover is anonymous and has no corporate identity. In fact 'Torquay' isn't even on it except on a the photo of the players shirt which is often obscured by writing. It could be anyones. I am particularly interested in sales for one thing and weighing that against the cost of production bearing in mind that many programmes were handed out for free at the end of season as either too many were printed or rather, as I suspect, not enough were sold. I would imagine there is a percentage worked out for attendees against sales. I read an early 80'sprogramme yesterday where a supplement was issued for a game postponed two months earlier and the original programme was sold with this supplement. They commented then that to save costs the supplement was issued and that 400 sales were needed to break even on programme costs. They knew the break even point then. I think that programme sales would increase if they were less bulky, less glossy photos and half the price. I know I am in the 'old git category' but the late 50's and 60's design of a yellow border with a blue photo in the middle was immediately identifiable throughout the footballing world. The fact that it was a photo of Oddicombe Beach or Torre Abbey Gardens was immaterial, it was eye catching and emblematic. Even better, it had 'Torquay United AFC Official Programme on it together with the opponents, date and competition. So simple yet so effective. I have been told that this is the trend and this is what youngsters want but can the youngsters or parents afford the £3 and besides, surely the average age of the United supporter is hardly in the 'youngster category. It's just my personal observation but in my view save on production costs enabling the programme to be sold cheaper which in turn will increase sales and at the same time make it look like a Torquay United programme.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I think the price of £3 is fine and pretty standard. I've forked out £3 for some seriously badly printed wafer thin sh*te masquerading as programmes in the past, Hereford immediately springs to mind on TWO separate occasions, last season and 2 seasons before that. If it were more absorbent i'd have wiped my arse on it on the bog, certainly had no chance of READING it on the bog as there was nothing in it!

I happen to think that our programme is one of the better ones in the league but i've bought a few on my travels this season alone that are much much better. The overriding feeling about our programme for me is that there seems to be loads of photos accompanied by spread out text not really offering much in the way of information or interest. Loads of pages of photos of this and that but no real substance as opposed to some programmes i've seen rammed with articles by fans, press, a kids section that does itself justice (i only managed to get to the Northampton home game last season but the kids section in there was patronising to the kids - embarrassing), it just seems very 'spacy' and perhaps that is why is quite a hefty and bulky programme. They could cut the number of pages in half if they concentrated on delivering relevant and interesting material IMO instead of sticking photos in there all over the shop like Sam says.

It should also have on it something like, 'THE OFFICIAL MATCHDAY PROGRAMME OF TORQUAY UNITED FOOTBALL CLUB' on the front of it.

It's worth the money definately but top 10 definately not.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

So, you want us to have a dreadful programme, just so long as it's cheap? Presumably you'd also like the players to travel to away games on a bus from the 1960s, because that will also be cheaper?
A curious suggestion and one which seems entirely counter productive.
The programme is identifiable as being from Torquay, because it has TQ1 at the top, which, funny old thing, is the name of the TUFC programme.
Have I missed the point?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

I'm sure this has been mentioned before but couldn't the club stick old unsold copies of the programme in doctors / dentists waiting rooms or in hospitals, schools and colleges ,in garages waiting rooms or anywhere where people are likely to be hanging around with a few moments to spare? They might have a look through and decide to go to a match or whatever, i know it's clutching at straws a bit but you never know. Having a presence about the Bay that is constant wherever you go could be a positive for the club.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by diamondgirl »

The programme is just fine. Its competitively priced and very well printed/put together IMHO. I certainly would not pay, even £1, for a cheap looking programme, with no added input. I would just pick up a free team sheet from the club shop.

The advertisments are in there to raise funds for our club, so I have no problem with that.

I always buy a TQ1 programme and yes, I do read it from cover to cover, although sometimes I have to leave out the very small printed bits, if I dont have my £1.99 reading glasses. :)
"Thing's turn out best when you make the best of the way thing's turn out."
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by diamondgirl »

Oh by the way Andy. We have taken unsold programmes to dentist's/doctors/hairdresser's and the local chippies before. Most were ok with it, but a few said "No". Not sure why. :)
Bitchie Renault

Post by Bitchie Renault »

ferrarilover wrote:Presumably you'd also like the players to travel to away games on a bus from the 1960s, because that will also be cheaper?
Surely with much worse fuel efficiency, higher repair costs, slower, less comfortable and less reliable journeys, etc the option of a 1960s bus would probably prove much more expensive? :~D

The cost of the programme is a very relevant one. £3 just sound too much for a League 2 team. I used to buy them regularly, but haven't done so for about 20 years as the value for money just wasn't there. Also at the time, fanzines seemed to offer a much more earthy, humourous approach often for less cost. I might be tempted, and presumably so would other fans, to buy one if they were more reasonably priced, at say £1.50, for what is effectively just a collection of stats and pictures that you can find on the internet for free.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Agree with that although i do think that the printing costs wouldn't leave much room for manouvre at £1.50 a pop. I always buy a programme at every game i go to home and away as i like reading them and reading about the other club which is why i think that in our programme there aren't enough articles and things about Torquay as a town and community to convey to away fans that we are a proud club, proud of our unity and our geography and culture. I accept it's a football programme and not a tourist guide but i do think where we are situated could be made a lot more of.

Also i buy a programme as it is sort of a physical memento of the game and i collect them. When i dig them out now and again i can remember each game and what happened in it just by looking at the cover. So they are important to me in that respect. I do think that the prices keep creeping up and the content is getting more and more lightweight but i'll still buy one. I just don't want the editor and contributors to think that they have knocked out a good product without considering how to improve it further. There are many clubs in our league whose programmes are miles better than ours as it is now and i'd say they need to get some feedback from the fans to ask us that buy what we want to see in there.
diamondgirl
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by diamondgirl »

From the O/S just posted. :scarf:

IDEAS FOR TQ1
Posted: Mon 13 May 2013
Author: TUFC

What Should We Include

IT has reached that point in the summer schedule where we start serious work on planning the match-day programme for next season.

Our media corner here at Plainmoor is currently overwhelmed with boxes of magazines, brainwave diagrams, test tubes and frazzled minds...but you could help.

As with every year, we would love to hear what United fans would like to see on your TQ1 magazine. Please send your ideas to [email protected] and all will be considered.

While on the subject of TQ1, we also offer a superb subscription service. For just £100, you can have every edition of TQ1 delivered to your door, along with a complimentary team sheet and one copy signed by manager Alan Knill.

Read more at http://www.torquayunited.com/news/artic ... w9x6PeV.99

They must have been reading this thread. :clap: :scarf:
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:I'm sure this has been mentioned before but couldn't the club stick old unsold copies of the programme in doctors / dentists waiting rooms or in hospitals, schools and colleges ,in garages waiting rooms or anywhere where people are likely to be hanging around with a few moments to spare? They might have a look through and decide to go to a match or whatever, i know it's clutching at straws a bit but you never know. Having a presence about the Bay that is constant wherever you go could be a positive for the club.
Already done (but you've reminded me to speak to Tim, so thanks. )

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
DTUFC
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by DTUFC »

Surprisingly, it seems I'm in a minority who actually like the current programme. I think the front covers (different player for each programme) look very professional, and probably wouldn't be out of place in the Championship. The content is decent, but could be improved - although it's not easy coming up with new ideas. I think people have to remember that Tim Herbert (and whoever else is involved in making the programme) probably only has a small budget as his disposal for the programme, so it's almost inevitable that there'll be bigger clubs in our division with better programmes.
DTUFC
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by DTUFC »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:I happen to think that our programme is one of the better ones in the league but i've bought a few on my travels this season alone that are much much better.
Andy, which clubs' programmes did you think were much better than ours, and what sort of features did they have that ours doesn't? The club seems open to ideas, so it could be useful to see what other clubs are doing right and whether that would be transferable to our programme next season. I don't get to many away games so I find it hard to judge the average quality across the league.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

DTUFC wrote:Surprisingly, it seems I'm in a minority who actually like the current programme. I think the front covers (different player for each programme) look very professional, and probably wouldn't be out of place in the Championship. The content is decent, but could be improved - although it's not easy coming up with new ideas. I think people have to remember that Tim Herbert (and whoever else is involved in making the programme) probably only has a small budget as his disposal for the programme, so it's almost inevitable that there'll be bigger clubs in our division with better programmes.

I wouldn't say Morecambe are a bigger club? Their programme IMO is better than ours.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

The last programme I bought was the one for the Rovers match, based on that recent issue, I think it is pretty good offering. Still good to know that the club is planning next season's.
TUST number 080
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

I generally buy the programme, I think once they rebranded it a year or two ago the quality improved drastically. Since then not much has really happened to make changes but I think it's fairly good, the price may seem a lot but it is pretty much standard.

Also let's not forget was it not nominated for the football programme version of the Oscars a couple of years ago?
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele