New Strikers

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Torqz
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Elliot Benyon

New Strikers

Post by Torqz »

With Rene on his way out and Jarvis gone, we need new strikers as well as a CM and CB as we haven't recovered from the loss of O'Kane and Olejnik. I was thinking along the lines of Jake Hyde or Nicky Ajose. Marsh brown for the wing may also be a shout as Barnet are releasing him. As for CM, Labadie back on loan, maybe Mozika? Unsure over CB options, heard Robertson is surplus to requirements at Preston, worth a punt?
Suggestions..
Torqz
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Torqz »

Also heard we're after Conor McAleny from Everton. Season long loan
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Torqz wrote:Also heard we're after Conor McAleny from Everton. Season long loan
Was this taken from this forum or elsewhere?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Torqz wrote:With Rene on his way out and Jarvis gone, we need new strikers as well as a CM and CB as we haven't recovered from the loss of O'Kane and Olejnik. I was thinking along the lines of Jake Hyde or Nicky Ajose. Marsh brown for the wing may also be a shout as Barnet are releasing him. As for CM, Labadie back on loan, maybe Mozika? Unsure over CB options, heard Robertson is surplus to requirements at Preston, worth a punt?
Suggestions..
Some good players there, but I can't imagine many, if any of them are within our wage budget. Marsh-Brown perhaps might be, but that's the only realistic suggestion I can see. Labadie will most likely stay at Notts, and Mozika, Hyde and Ajose will all move onto League 1 clubs, or ones in League 2 that offer the big wages. The Northamptons, Fleetwoods etc. With our lower-middle third budget, I suspect we'll be looking for players less established that mentioned, although Robertson could be possible if he was willing to take a significant pay-cut. Another stumbling block would be that he moved back up North to where he's from. I'd imagine one of the countless North-west clubs would have a good chance of getting him.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Torqz
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Torqz »

Richinns, the McAleny deal was being spouted about on the Everton forum, the lads on there were confident that he will be loaned out to a league 2 club. They mentioned Accrington, Morecambe and Torquay
Torqz
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Torqz »

yellowforever, the striker mentioned by Knill is thought to be either Connell or Hyde. I admit that Ajose is ambitious but as for Mozika, he worked under Knill at both Scunthorpe and Bury and may be tempted. Notts have lost Jeff Hughes to Fleetwood, prompting Kiwomya to state that he needs 2-3 midfielders pushing Labadie to the back of the pack. I also think Robertson is a decent shout as he is out of favour and could be gotten on the cheap. Finally, Marsh-Brown is a no brainier, quick, skillful and much better end product than Bodin
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Torqz wrote:yellowforever, the striker mentioned by Knill is thought to be either Connell or Hyde. I admit that Ajose is ambitious but as for Mozika, he worked under Knill at both scunthorpe and Bury and may be tempted. Notts have lost Jeff Hughes to Fleetwood, prompting Kiwomya to state that he needs 2-3 midfielders pushing Labadie to the back of the pack. I also think Robertson is a decent shout as he is out of favour and could be gotten on the cheap. Finally, Marsh-Brown is a no brainier, quick, skillful and much better end product than Bodin
Interesting.

I hadn't heard about us being in for Hyde, but I did hear about Connell when speaking to a Bradford supporting mate. Labadie would be a terrific signing if we could pull it off, and so would Mozika, but I reckon both would be difficult to tempt down here. Not long ago, Mozika had premiership scouts watching him so that would be a real coup and statement of intent from Knill should it happen. Very similar players though, and neither represent an increase in creativity for the middle of the park, which we badly needed at times last season.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
Torqz
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Torqz »

True, we do really lack creativity in the middle of the park. Josh Parker and Robbie Gibbons have both been released I believe, both young creative midfielders with low wages. 1 of the above with either Labadie or Mozika with one of Hyde, Connell, Taylor or McAleny will be a quality summer assuming we sign Benyon up.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

McAleny and Benyon as a front two?? Wouldn't be hopeful of seeing ball retention as a strong point.

L2 level, you tend not to go wrong with a little-and-large combination. I think Hyde is ok (and we've trialled him before he went north of the border), but any combination of Connell, Benyon and McAleny wouldn't have enough if a presence. And who is Taylor you mention?

If we were to look for players with a history of working with Knill, I struggle to see past Jordan Robertson. Was a real beacon of quality in the otherwise painfully bad Lubos Kubik era, has reproduced that form since but lost his way. I can see past his criminal record - I'm prepared to let the football do the talking.
Torqz
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Torqz »

The Taylor I mention is Ryan Taylor from Bristol City. Very tall striker with good strength, low wages and is out of contract soon I think. Hyde is also over 6ft whereas Benyon is 5ft9. Little and large, who said it doesn't work ala Hanson + Wells for Bradford.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Unless I dreamt what happened last season and we were, in fact, promoted to L1 and Thea suffered some unfortunate tragedy and bequeathed the club all her money on the explicit understanding that it was spent the coming season, I really don't think we'll be getting anywhere near any of the aforementioned. Shame, because it'd be a hell of a team.
I suppose if we had a mole inside the club who operates under a pseudonym, we could learn the truth of Knilly's shopping list...

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

With lower league clubs feeling the pinch more and more and cutting their squad numbers, there is a new category often refered to in the media as the 'pro with no where to go' Matt, I do not think any of us can second guess who our club can or can not afford to sign or whether any player would or would not agree to come this far south.

Come July 1st there will be alot of footballers out of work and not enough places at League 1 or 2 clubs to go around. Could be a real bargin to be had for our club if we are willing to wait.
Formerly known as forevertufc
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

That's fine Dave, but players like Ladders, Robbo and Ajose are always going to be in demand because of their talent. We will get someone, no doubt, but that someone probably won't be in the same class as the aforementioned.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Torqz
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Torqz »

Matt, you are correct about Ajose, he is very much in demand is very ambitious but as opposed to Labadie, Notts manager is quoted as saying he needs 2-3 midfielders of quality this summer after the loss of Jeff Hughes, where does that leave Labadie?, a bit part player for a mid table league 1 club whereas he could sign for a league 2 club trying to get themselves up the ladder again, he seemed to enjoy his loan spell also. Anyway, as for the strikers, anyone got any suggestions?
Torqz
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Torqz »

Any suggestions for strikers...