TOP 5 - STAND UP COMEDIANS.

General chat about anything else goes here.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

TOP 5 - STAND UP COMEDIANS.

Post by chunkygull »

its summer, no football, bored out of my tiny mind.

just a little thread that may provoke a little bit of debate. this may depend on how serious you take life or yourselves (im not very grown up. at times). If you are PC, right on or easily offended then you may flip your lid at some choices.

this is my top 5- the first 4 are set in stone and dont change, number 5 is subject to change depending on mood or taste at the time.

ROY "CHUBBY" BROWN love him or hate him, understand him or not, be offended or not, chubby browns stand up from the late 80's to mid 90's was brilliantly funny, totally offensive and politically incorrect, delivered with bounce, energy and a rapier wit.with a few clean jokes thrown in.

i remember the first time i watched him on video with my mates, we were in hysterics and i dont think i have ever laughed so much since.

i met him twice after a couple of his gigs in torquay and he was an absolute gent.
his autobiography is really interesting and gives a good insight into what he is really like.

the later, more recent chubbs isnt as good and the humour is now dated at times, but he can still be funny.

dont take anything too seriously its just comedy and as most comedians say, "in comedy anything goes" you are told not to watch if you are easily offended.

LEE EVANS i cannot seperate lee and chubby. very clever, observational comedy at its best, manic, but in complete control. just a funny, funny bloke without even saying anything.genius.

would reccommend his autobiography, even though it ends a bit too soon.

GEORGE CARLIN if you havent heard of him then all i can say is go and do a search on youtube, this guy was doing it and doing it better, years before everyone else. i have watched loads of him on youtube dating back i think to the early 70's to 2005.

observational comedy, politics, jokes, anecdotes, the lot. very big in america at one time, i have even watched some guest appearances he made on political chat shows,where he tore politicians and commentators to shreds and made it funny.

ground breaking routines like 7 words you can never say on television were massively controversial, but brilliantly clever. the word genius was invented for this man.

a big influence and someone very much looked up to and credited by other comedians.

i recently saw a comedian, reginald d hunter on live at the apollo do a carlin routine almost word for word which was from a hbo special in the early 90's. hunter brought the house down and i just thought yeah but that wasnt your material mate was it.

EDDIE MURPHY yeah, i know whay you are thinking, but when i was a young buck me and the lads used to watch the 2 eddie murphy stand up videos over and over and over again.

DELIRIOUS was very politically incorrect and offensive but the young murphy was infectious, likeable, though obnoxious, the story telling was great and we all used to try and imitate his routine and impressions (MR T etc).

to our delight we found out eddie had done a 2nd stand up, RAW.we waited with anticipation for its release and when it came out we got a mates 18 year old brother to rent it for us. although not as good as its predeccessor it was still great and much funnier than most i have seen before or since.

both stand ups are very outdated now and show a time where things, facts, opinions and education were very different, but they are still very funny.

KEVIN BRIDGES very new but very funny and likeable. clever routine, superb delivery, great stories and jokes, could be around a long time. first time i saw him i laughed my @ss off.first 2 dvds have been brilliant.

honourable mentions- (many of these could take the number 5 slot at any time depending on mood).

richard pryor, bob monkhouse (genius),louis ck, frankie boyle (not all of his stuff), peter kay, john bishop, mickey flanagan, robin williams, dennis leary, bill hicks, jimmy jones, russell howard (too right on at times, but he can be hilarious and i love good news), freddie starr, jim davidson, lenny henry, (the last 3, years ago, when they were funny),dave allen,kevin "bloody" wilson (does he count), michael mckintyre(sometimes), russell kane, jack whitehall and many more.
Last edited by chunkygull on 07 Jun 2013, 11:51, edited 5 times in total.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Chubby Brown should be euthanased and that is humane even for him, Eddie Murphy is the interesting one. Not seen his comedy but Beverly Hills Cop is one of my fave films of all time and many of his earlier - mid career films I find amazing. Lee Evans is ok, never heard of GC and Kevin Bridges makes me want to hibernate chunky.

I saw Rob Brydon at Buxton Opera House and he basically ad-libbed an entire show by bouncing off the audience, well impressed with that. Impulse comedy, almost impossible if you haven't got it. Total repsect for that.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

bugger, didnt realise there was another thread, i didnt look back far enough.

can this be moved into the other one?
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:Chubby Brown should be euthanased and that is humane even for him, Eddie Murphy is the interesting one. Not seen his comedy but Beverly Hills Cop is one of my fave films of all time and many of his earlier - mid career films I find amazing. Lee Evans is ok, never heard of GC and Kevin Bridges makes me want to hibernate chunky.

I saw Rob Brydon at Buxton Opera House and he basically ad-libbed an entire show by bouncing off the audience, well impressed with that. Impulse comedy, almost impossible if you haven't got it. Total repsect for that.
i get what you are saying about chubby, andy.

i mainly look at the chubby brown i saw years ago, you get caught up in his show by the pace, wit, delivery, bounce, enthusiasm and shock of it all at times. i dont agree with everything he says obviously, it is mainly the filth i laugh at im afraid. like i said, im not very grown up.

yeah i have seen a bit of rob brydon on tv,he is quite funny, like you said total respect for the gift of ad-libbing and being off the cuff.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

The thing with Chubby Brown is that when you are 13 years old it's funny but when you become more discerning and develop a humour preference then it becomes embarrassing. I'm not knocking childish humour Chunky, i'm as childish as they come, I love Bottom and the Young Ones but Chubby Brown is just for knuckledragging oiks IMO. No offence if you are one mate and by reading many of your posts I very much doubt that you are.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:The thing with Chubby Brown is that when you are 13 years old it's funny but when you become more discerning and develop a humour preference then it becomes embarrassing. I'm not knocking childish humour Chunky, i'm as childish as they come, I love Bottom and the Young Ones but Chubby Brown is just for knuckledragging oiks IMO. No offence if you are one mate and by reading many of your posts I very much doubt that you are.
like i said i am not very grown up sometimes.i am grading the chubby of old which i watched when i was between about 15/22. yes some of it does make me wince now. but like most comedians say "its not real, dont take it seriously".

i too liked bottom (hysterical) and the young ones. crikey, its amazing when someone reminds you of something, i wonder if there is any bottom on youtube.
Last edited by chunkygull on 07 Jun 2013, 10:54, edited 1 time in total.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Did you ever see Filthy Rich and Catflap? It was a spin off series between Young Ones and Bottom I think.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:Did you ever see Filthy Rich and Catflap? It was a spin off series between Young Ones and Bottom I think.
i think i saw it once, a long time ago. just checked it out and its on youtube so i will give it a whirl.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

AustrianAndyGull wrote: Eddie Murphy is the interesting one. Not seen his comedy but Beverly Hills Cop is one of my fave films of all time and many of his earlier - mid career films I find amazing.
andy, just checked it out and eddie murphy delirious is on youtube in full.raw is also on there in installments.worth a look.a lot of swearing so make sure the little 'un' isnt around.
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

Saw Dara O'B last year. Excellent live show. Probably the best i've seen for ages :)
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Dara O'Brien is married to a girl who used to be in my class.

Stewart Francis the Canadian comic is not bad to be fair.
madgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by madgull »

I dunno if I'd call him pure stand up, because he's so much more than that, but Eddie Izzard is a GENIUS :)

Rhod GIlbert is very funny in that 'say stuff and it's funny cos he's angry and Welsh' kind of way, I also really enjoyed Michael McIntyre's 'Showtime' DVD. He's not stand-up, but Tim Minchin is also hilarious.

Have to give honourable mentions to Jethro, Omid Djalili, Ed Byrne, and Frankie Boyle.

Of course, let us not forget the man who nobody has EVER liked yet was somehow HUGE in the 90s, Jim Davidson.

On a personal note, I like Lee Evans a lot when he stands and tells jokes, but not so much when he just says stuff in a funny voice and pulls faces, so my attitude towards him is pretty ambivalent, and I completely agree with the TS on George Carlin, a true legend.
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

Roy Chubby Brown's real name is Royston Vasey which is the fictional setting of the town from the comedy The League of Gentlemen.

That is all.
TUST No 278
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

In the words of Andy, the wheelchair bound (but not really disabled) character in Little Britain,

"YEAH A KNOW"

Filmed up yonder in Hadfield /Tintwhistle which I pass whenever I go to Manchester airport on the Woodhead.