5 more to come in

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
exiledgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Jarvis

5 more to come in

Post by exiledgull »

Just seen on the OS, we are looking at bringing 5 players in. Upon reading the article I'm not sure it should say 6 new players. However the article says at LEAST 5 new.

Knill stated he wants a centre half, 2 wingers and 2 strikers. However he has mentioned previously he wants a centre midfielder as well. At least it shows our attacking intent next season. Also shows we are going to go with youth in terms of defenders be a big year for some of our boys.

I do like the balance of the side even if it is quite attacking orientated. 2 wingers would allow us to play bodin in behind which has been very dangerous before.

What's everyone else's view? Are we happy with that? Seems we are stretching the budget a long way.

Said should have news Monday about new signings!! Now it's getting exciting.
Last edited by exiledgull on 04 Jul 2013, 18:01, edited 1 time in total.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I'd have thought 5 was a bare minimum, 7 or 8 could easily be justified. Assume he'll be looking to supplement those 5 with a decent loan or two. Interesting that he still wants 2 more strikers. Makes the decision to award Bodin the 10 shirt even more bizarre.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Why? If not don't sign until half-way through pre-season, you can't expect a first choice of squad number. I'm sure potential strikers will sign based on wages rather than the desire to wear the famous Torquay number 9 or 10 jersey.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I just cannot believe we are not going to strengthen in centre mid where for me we are massively lacking. I honestly think that we have/are close to completing an addition here that he has not counted it in his 5.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Gulliball wrote:Why? If not don't sign until half-way through pre-season, you can't expect a first choice of squad number. I'm sure potential strikers will sign based on wages rather than the desire to wear the famous Torquay number 9 or 10 jersey.
You don't think you can expect a first choice squad number if arriving half way through pre-season? The league won't ask for confirmed numbers for a good while yet. There is no rush. There are two numbers for strikers in your average team - 9 and 10. It's not too much to ask that strikers are wearing those numbers. Bodin is a winger - why wouldn't he be happy with 7 or 11?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

5 new players would take us up to 21 players, including all the youth teamers. Have to agree with the majority, it looks short in central midfield, and we can't afford too many injuries at the back.

That said, five good signings and we'll have a very good first XI, which is the most important thing.

Poke
Rice

Nicholson
Tonge
Cruise

Downes
New CB
McKenzie
Hutchings

Mansell
Lathrope
Craig

Bodin
New Winger
New Winger
Thompson
Sullivan

Benyon
New ST
New ST
Yeoman
www.torquayfanstats.com
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

Fonda wrote: You don't think you can expect a first choice squad number if arriving half way through pre-season? The league won't ask for confirmed numbers for a good while yet. There is no rush. There are two numbers for strikers in your average team - 9 and 10. It's not too much to ask that strikers are wearing those numbers. Bodin is a winger - why wouldn't he be happy with 7 or 11?
Well, perhaps I am placing less importance on squad numbers than you are. The days of 1-11 lining up are gone. Zebroski liked 26, Van Persie is 20, etc... If you sign after squad numbers have been assigned, then you can't expect to have a free pick. The players are back training, and have been given their numbered kit for the season.

I have no idea why Bodin is now 10, however I would imagine he was asked what number he wanted and chose 10. New players will get to choose in the same way from what is available.
www.torquayfanstats.com
exiledgull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by exiledgull »

Squad numbers have become a bit redundant in recent years. My son wanted the number 14 because of Henry, like you say Van Pierse likes 20, there are numerous different examples.

If we sign the 5 mentioned and a centre mid we would look in good shape.

AK has said in the past he wants a centre midfielder and with Morris leaving this will become more apparent. Mozika perhaps??
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Fonda »

Gulliball wrote: Well, perhaps I am placing less importance on squad numbers than you are. The days of 1-11 lining up are gone. Zebroski liked 26, Van Persie is 20, etc... If you sign after squad numbers have been assigned, then you can't expect to have a free pick. The players are back training, and have been given their numbered kit for the season.

I have no idea why Bodin is now 10, however I would imagine he was asked what number he wanted and chose 10. New players will get to choose in the same way from what is available.
I am aware of what is likely to have lead us to this situation - but it needn't have. And I know that players signing for clubs late, will only get a choice from the numbers that are left. But there is no reason to have decided any numbers yet. As for the training kits, at Man Utd (for example) training kit numbers don't even match their kit numbers - is there any reason they would? I genuinely don't know why training kits even need numbers? Just as I can't see why the coaching staff need their initials stamped everywhere.

I don't understand why we didn't wait until the squad was formed before handing out the shirt numbers. As much as possible, your first choice defence ought to be 2,3,5 and 6. Your wingers 7 and 11. First choice strikers 9 and 10. I understand 1-11 means less now than previously. But if you are likely to be a regular starter in the front line, you're entitled to a proper number, not 17.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

With the additions AK suggests he must (like supergulls has indicated) think a lot of both McKenzie and Hutchings as we have very little cover at CB and RB if they are not yet ready. Real bonus Hutchings can also play at right-back as I never want to have to watch poor old Cruise try and cover that again!
TUST member 328
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

Gulliball wrote: 6 new players would take us up to 22 players, including all the youth teamers. Have to agree with the majority, it looks good in central midfield, and we can't afford too many injuries at the back.

That said, five good signings and we'll have a very good first XI, which is the most important thing.

Poke
Rice

Nicholson
Tonge
Cruise

Downes
New CB
McKenzie
Hutchings

Mansell
Lathrope
Mozika
Craig

Bodin
New Winger
New Winger
Thompson
Sullivan

Benyon
New ST
New ST
Yeoman

Edited for how I think it will turn out! ;-)
TUST member 328
exiledgull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by exiledgull »

Mozika would be good!!

I would just like a winger with real pace down one of the flanks. Not like a Jarvis type player, I would prefer a winger to be an out an out winger with a lot of pace.

Centre half we just want someone who can dominate aerially with some pace.

I think we need a big man up front and someone with a bit about them to link up play. Ideally both be 6ft.
mickyflash
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by mickyflash »

I am hoping, against hope that AK is keeping his cards very close to his chest, as we have been led to believe he likes to do. I just can't believe he is not looking for any option in CM.

I take solice in the fact he says at least 5 players, maybe he is just ear marking the positions of the players he is advanced talks with.

One of his very first moves when he arrived here was to strengthen this area (Ladabie), and it seemed he didn't fancy Craig or Morris in this area, ladabie's bite was a huge welcome when he arrived, and I was looking forward to a player of his nature arriving.

The thing is, apart from Ladabie himself agreeing a deal with Notts Co. I can't really see who we may have missed out on?

The only other conclusion I can come up with, is that Billy may move in here in the 'Eunan' role.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

exiledgull wrote:Mozika would be good!!

I would just like a winger with real pace down one of the flanks. Not like a Jarvis type player, I would prefer a winger to be an out an out winger with a lot of pace.

Centre half we just want someone who can dominate aerially with some pace.

I think we need a big man up front and someone with a bit about them to link up play. Ideally both be 6ft.

IMO this is essential this season. Someone other than Downes and Saah (who has gone) who is a threat from corners and set pieces and can bustle their way about up front. At the moment we are a pretty small team and with Bodin, Tommo, Yeoman and Benners as front men we need something different to mix things up a bit.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

Fonda wrote: You don't think you can expect a first choice squad number if arriving half way through pre-season? The league won't ask for confirmed numbers for a good while yet. There is no rush. There are two numbers for strikers in your average team - 9 and 10. It's not too much to ask that strikers are wearing those numbers. Bodin is a winger - why wouldn't he be happy with 7 or 11?
Billy has asked this year to play as a number 10 this year just behind the front man, or in the hole as its also called. He doesn't want to play on the wing.