PSF Thread - Tiverton v Torquay

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

PSF Thread - Tiverton v Torquay

Post by Gullscorer »

Tiverton Town v Torquay United Tuesday 23 July 7.30pm - pre-season friendly.

This match at Ladysmead comes next as part of the Gulls' build-up which is progressing nicely towards the opening of the 2013-14 season. Plymouth Argyle played a friendly here ten days ago and beat Tiverton 1-0.

This will be another good test for Torquay. Tiverton have a good record as a small but achieving non-league club. They were Western League Champions four times, and Western League Cup winners five times, between 1992 and 1998. They won the FA Vase in 1998 and 1999, and were Southern League Cup winners in 2007. They currently play in the Southern League South and West Division.

Ex-Tiverton players whose names may be familiar to Gulls fans include John Impey, Kevin Hill, Chris Curran, Paul Buckle (the one and only), and Elliot Benyon (yes, our Elliot)!

Triallist Scott Rendell will not be in this game, having returned to Luton with a hamstring injury and lacking the fitness of the rest of the Gulls squad. Shaun Cooper, however, is in talks with the club, having impressed during the two previous friendlies.

Tiverton is not that far away, being just a few miles the other side of Exeter (spit), so if you have a car or can cadge a lift, it would be well worth the trip, to give the lads our support..

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Aparently Matt Villis (remember him) is still on their books too!
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Gullscorer wrote:

Ex-Tiverton players whose names may be familiar to Gulls fans include John Impey, Kevin Hill, Chris Curran, Paul Buckle (the one and only), and Elliot Benyon:
Benyon? Where did you get that information? I'm as sure as I can be he's never played for Tiverton. Happy to be proved wrong!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiverton_Town_F.C.

If you look under 'former players' it has a list of people who have made more than 15 FL appearances.. other names we recognise are Paul Buckle, Steve Collis, Matt Hewlett, Scott Laird, Jason Rees, Stephen Reed, aswell as a handful of others I recognise from Exeter.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Nick wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiverton_Town_F.C.

If you look under 'former players' it has a list of people who have made more than 15 FL appearances.. other names we recognise are Paul Buckle, Steve Collis, Matt Hewlett, Scott Laird, Jason Rees, Stephen Reed, aswell as a handful of others I recognise from Exeter.
I saw that. But all the Benyon info on soccerbase etc. (including his Wikipedia entry) don't list Tiverton as a club he's played for. Never heard anyone mention it previously.

Anyone on here who lives up that way who takes an interest in Tivvy that can shed some light on this? If he has I would be interested to know when (presumably a loan when he was at Bristol City), or maybe wiki is having one of its moments.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

I think someone mentioned on another thread, that tonight we will be starting with the players that didn't start against Salisbury?
The gulls are going up
Hubert Parry
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Hubert Parry »

I used to be the match reporter for Tiverton, and I can confirm that he played a friendly in the 2006 off-season, scoring a goal in a 6-1 defeat to Port Vale. The next pre-season game was against his parent club Bristol City, in which he appeared for the Robins.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

gullno4 wrote:I think someone mentioned on another thread, that tonight we will be starting with the players that didn't start against Salisbury?
I think you're right. And Alan Knill mentions on the O.S. that there will be no new triallists in this game, but possibly will be against Hereford in the last p.s.f. on Saturday. The starting line-up against Tiverton, though, is not yet known.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Anyone at Tiv tonight?
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

1-0 craig
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

From what I can figure out team is: C Thompson; Hutchings, macKenzie, Downes, cruise; N Thompson, Craig, Mansell, Bodin; Yeoman, Sullivan;
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

1-1 and Tivvy almost got 2nd
exiledgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Jarvis

Post by exiledgull »

This is basically our reserve side out plus odd player, it's a good run out and the first goal we have conceded in all our friendlies.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by hector »

1-1. Not great by any means.