The ideal squad situation

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

The ideal squad situation

Post by Modgull »

This morning the OS has an article discussing the ideal size of squad according to AK.

It would be 15 experienced pros and 4 youngsters.

We currently have 22 in the squad of which Hutchings, McKenzie, Sullivan and possibly Thompson could be said to be the four youngsters. Rice and Poke would have to two definites for the experienced pros.

Who of the rest do we expect to go out on loan?
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
exiledgull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Jarvis

Post by exiledgull »

I could see Craig going out on loan, but he and Lathrope would have to leave for us to bring in one player. I don't see any other possible candidates for a loan spell? Thompson perhaps? But how he's played I doubt he would be available for loan.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

AK is talking about the first team squad, which, except for any youth development team that may be put together, I suppose is our only squad if we have no reserve team. Given the size of our budget, what he says makes sense, provided he is prepared for the times when injuries and suspensions take their inevitable toll. Presumably, some of the budget is set aside to cover those eventualities. Sending two or three players out on loan would certainly help in that regard.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Hutchings or McKenzie-as Knill has said Sullivan is now part of his first team plans. If a more experienced pro doesn't get in to the starting line-up, and doesn't look like doing so,after say,10 games;then they too could be loaned out.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Do remember that hutchings is 17, he will be able to play for the U18's this year, which I think is likely.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Think we can safely say Deaman won't be getting aa offer from us then...?
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I think this is a clever psychological statement from Knill.

He says we are carrying to many players and what a kick up the arse for those fringe players who must show performance to fight their way into the team otherwise they will know their fate.

No easy ride/no bench warmers will be tolerated. Pull your finger out or get out is the message.

Clever.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Aaron Downes

Post by supergulls »

Yellow4life wrote:Do remember that hutchings is 17, he will be able to play for the U18's this year, which I think is likely.

Yellow I spoke to Geoff harrop and he said Hutchings is a first team player now and will only play for us in the youth fa cup. I personally think he may get the odd game for the youth team but they will be few and far between. He hasn't played once for them in pre season and they are preparing for life without him. They have a trialist center half in at the moment.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

super - who do rate from the yougsters who will break through first and who do you rate as having the biggest career ahead of them?

I see Knill has said some very positive things about Sullivan and Thompson but little about Hutch and Mckenzie recently.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper

Post by supergulls »

Without doubt Sullivan and Hutchings will be the ones who I think will break through and have a prolonged career, they are the two most gifted footballers. Thompson has great pace and strength but isnt the most gifted footballer, I felt he got distracted last year with a few of the other younger pros off the field. He doesn't have a plan B and runs into blind alleys sometimes, but if he knuckles down he will always be a threat with that pace. Mackenzie looks disinterested and a bit annoyed at not getting more game time and I know he has some off field distractions such as a young baby etc.
Sullivan is exciting and is an honest player his work rate is fantastic and if he continues to progress I think he will do well. I think the reason Hutchings hasn't been mentioned more is at the end of the day he is only 17 he's 2 years younger than Thompson and Mackenzie and a year younger than Sullivan. I also think it's harder for a young defender to get minutes compared to a forward. Hutchings has had a number of big clubs watching him ranging from arsenal, man utd, Chelsea and wolves. He is still developing physically and still growing but have no doubt the lad can play. Hence getting a pro contract 6 months into his scholarship.
friendlygas
First Regular
First Regular

Post by friendlygas »

This is a very interesting topic from your Manager. From our point of view if we had that "ideal" squad he suggests then we would struggle to field a team at Exeter tomorrow let alone have players on the bench!! We have 9 players out injured tomorrow of which 5 possibly even 6 would actually be in the first choice team and the others definitely all be in the squad. I can see what he is saying in that it would be ideal to have all players fit and then his numbers would be sensible.
The plus from our point of view is that it will give us a chance to see just how good our highly rated youth team was!!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

From what I've seen, I agree with Super. If Sullivan doesn't play higher than L2 in his career, something will have gone wrong for him.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Thompson is still the player nearest the first team. Despite missing a couple of sitters at Tiverton he was the best player on the field. Knill's no mug. Despite all our other wingers Thompson still has the potential to be the best.
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

I confess to being more than a little puzzled by this announcement. Given that we won't be fielding a true reserve side it must mean some established players temporarily leaving the Club on loan.

Assuming the two goalkeepers and the loanee (Ball) are shoe-ins there are only 12 outfield players apparently required. If we also assume that the Club captain and the new signings are part of his plans (why did we sign them if not?) then we must add Mansell, Benyon, Harding, Hawley, Cameron, Chapple, Pearce and Tonge. That leaves 4 places.

Downes also has to be a shoe-in. So also would be Nicholson and/or Cruise.

If we assume that our most expensive signing (Bodin) is also required then it would appear that the following players might be farmed out:

Lathrope, Craig, Yeoman

With the four youngsters being Hutchings, McKenzie, Sullivan and Thompson.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
supergulls
Skipper
Skipper

Post by supergulls »

I think a few have taken this the wrong way in knills article he says that in an ideal world he would like 15 established pros and 4 youngsters to develop. But because of the way the contracts were with certain players still having time remaining he has inherited them. It's a situation he will have to go with this season but at no point does he say he will be loaning out the other players.