Torquay United v Portsmouth - JPT Rnd 1

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Torquay United v Portsmouth - JPT Rnd 1

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

So here we go again, the JPT is here and I am going to embrace it despite all my views about the competition previously. Ok so it could very well be viewed as a mickey mouse trophy which nobody gives a toss about until the latter stages but you could argue that about the FA Cup and the CC1 Cup the way the Prem and some Championship sides treat those. No, the JPT is a competition that we HAVE to play in and therefore we should take it seriously and see how far we can go in it.

Portsmouth at home represents a tough first round encounter and in some ways this tie takes some of the edge off our league meeting. I expect Pompey to bring a few fans down for this and I also expect them to field a weakened side so therefore on the whole, the game may have some atmosphere after all and we may have a really good chance of progressing. I'm not sure just what sort of side Alan will field for this either and I don't know how high the competition ranks in his list of priorities but the game has to be played so we may as well go all out to win it.

This is just a short serious thread as i'd only just realised that this game was taking place not long ago so I thought i'd just rustle up a little something. I'm not going to mention players etc or anything else but just to finish by urging everyone to get down to Plainmoor if they can, I'm not sure the ticket price of £12 will be enough of an incentive though and I would be fully behind any fan who would choose not to go because of this. A tenner max for this is more than enough to be paying although I appreciate the club have overheads to cover.

This game for me screams penalty shoot out and so i'm going for a 1-1 draw and pens. The mighty Gulls to make it through of course! COYY!!!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Ticket Prices
Adults - £12
Concessions - £6
Under 12s - £1

Hopefully will be a good game! :scarf: :scarf:
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I'd like to see this team:

Rice

Tonge, Pearce, Downes, Cruise

Thompson, Lathrope, Craig, Cameron

Ball, Benyon/Yeoman

I think you have to have 5 starters from Saturday (which I think I have?). Another game for Pearce and Downes to continue the partnership, give Cruise a start, along with DL, Craig and Thompson. Another game for Ball to look for his first for us, while more gametime for Benyon/Yeoman and Cameron.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

I am going to this game, and out of the group I normaly meet up with there is only one who is not, expecting Portsmouth to bring a fair few down regardless, and because of that expect there might be a few extra police around, so making any cheaper might have been difficult for the club. To be honest think £12 is about right, had it more wouldn't be going myself.
Formerly known as forevertufc
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

Hopefully be a decent attendance. Anyone know how many Pompey have sold? Reckon they could bring around a 1.000 if they don't sell out so could get a decent attendance here though probably be bigger for the League game. Not fussed if we lose as its only the JPT But it would be nice to get a win and get some more momentum going in to a very tough game against Fleetwood on Saturday. I assume Connolly is out for them as he was sent off on Saturday?

Would like to see us line up something like:

Rice

Tonge Downes Pearce Cruise

Thompson Craig Mansell Chapel

Sullivan Benyon

Give Hawley and Ball a rest before the more important game on Saturday and keep them in reserve to cause more of a nuisance later in the game. Be interesting to see how we do this as we host Portsmouth again shortly after this in a league game.
taunton_gull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by taunton_gull »

Nick's team would do for me. The strange addictive nature of football means even after yesterday's 'match' I am actually looking forward to Tuesday. I really hope we go for it from the off, I used to curse this competition as a complete waste of time but I've changed my mind in recent years as it is easily the best chance we have of a Wembley final and silverware with the added financial benefit that would come from that. Given that we are destined never to get past the first round of the league cup, we won't ever get a decent draw in the FA Cup no matter how far we progress apart from an outside shot at the playoffs this is something which might actually be achievable (although it goes without saying a complete turnaround from Saturday is needed). Knill seemed to be very unhappy at the performance of the reserves at Exeter the other day so hopefully this game might provide a platform for one or two to step forward and stake a claim if they are up to it which of course is the million dollar question. Portsmouth have made an indifferent start to the season like ourselves, I do fear that with not a great deal of home support and a packed away end we might struggle but all I can do is arrive and get behind the team as always whilst hoping for the best!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Nick wrote:I'd like to see this team:

Rice

Tonge, Pearce, Downes, Cruise

Thompson, Lathrope, Craig, Cameron

Ball, Benyon/Yeoman

I think you have to have 5 starters from Saturday (which I think I have?). Another game for Pearce and Downes to continue the partnership, give Cruise a start, along with DL, Craig and Thompson. Another game for Ball to look for his first for us, while more gametime for Benyon/Yeoman and Cameron.
I agree 100% with you on that line up, Nick, and your reasons, especially a bit of game time for Benyon and Yeoman. I bet it won't happen, though.
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

AlexGulls wrote: Reckon they could bring around a 1.000 if they don't sell out so could get a decent attendance here though probably be bigger for the League game.
really, is this based on any information, that would surely be a record away attendance for the early rounds of the jpt?? i'd have thought less than 200 myself, really hope yr right!

lose 0-2 1,434 there, or 2,234 if your crowd prediction is right!!
still keeping the faith
AlexGulls
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by AlexGulls »

bixieupnorth wrote: really, is this based on any information, that would surely be a record away attendance for the early rounds of the jpt?? i'd have thought less than 200 myself, really hope yr right!

lose 0-2 1,434 there, or 2,234 if your crowd prediction is right!!

Not really based on anything but I checked there online ticketing last week and it was still only on sale to Season Ticket Holders and checked last night and it wasn't even there. I think they'll bring a reasonable amount they tend to travel well regardless of where it is. And regardless of the competition think they got well over 10,000 for a JPT Home game against Wycombe last season..
Rivo_7
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Rivo_7 »

I seem to remember Pompey bringing about 1000+ fans down for a pre season friendly a few years ago.....I know they were a prem club then but i wouldnt put it past them coming down in force tomorrow night!!
Stocker13
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Poke

Post by Stocker13 »

I'm just hoping we can get further than we did last year when we lost to Yeovil. I'd also like to see Benyon and Yeoman up front!
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Pompey have sold all their allocation for Cheltenham on Saturday.
Went to our match on Saturday with Petersfield Gull,who has several Pompey supporting friends. He reckons a couple of hundred travelling down from Portsmouth,together with a number of Pompey exiles living in Devon,Cornwall,Somerset etc-but nowhere near a 1,000,for a JPT match.Will sell- out their allocation for our league game on 26th October very quickly though.
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Will there be a drum tonight? The drum really does make a big difference to our support. Pompey fans are very vocal, so a great big effort from our fans please......
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

I'm going to this, hopefully a chance for some of the current reserves to stake their claim, could make for a good and winnable game!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Robiberto22
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Robiberto22 »

Looking forward to this one , could be a really open game and will be interesting to see what side we put out, not to confident of a win though - since bucks left we've been nothing short of shocking in the cups! Will be cool to see us play Pompey aswel, of course the league fixture will be the real deal but this is a good draw for us - lets be optimistic,

ill go for a 2-2 draw gulls win on pens!
COYG!!!
ALAN KNILL'S YELLOW ARMY !!! - Oh wait ...