Brassed Off?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

that would be perfect. Little bit of compensation for him which enables us to sack Knill. Everyone wins.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I've struggled to see what Brass has brought to the Torquay table as it were since he's been here so I wouldn't be disappointed if he left. I had much higher expectations, maybe he would be a lot happier back oop north?

On another note, Flitcroft is a real down to earth, one of the lads motivator and Bury are now safe IMO. That leaves one less team to drag in with us. He'd have been brilliant down here I reckon although he wouldn't have come due to his strong ties to the North and North West. He is EXACTLY the kind of man we need kicking our players asses from here on in and not monotone dreariness from Knill.
Last edited by AustrianAndyGull on 13 Dec 2013, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Exactly what we need? Two wins from 19 games this season for Barnsley was it? Ok he kept them up last season, but then Knill kept us up........
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Have a day off Jeff. It's the Championship and Barnsley haven't a pot to p*ss in. It's akin to Yeovil being in the Championship really. Your statement is incomparable. At our level if you squeeze out something extra from poor players playing against other poor players (like in league 2) as he can do then that makes him perfect for the division IMO. Barnsley were always on a hiding to nothing. I'd have Flitcroft here no probs.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

I'm sorry Andy, you want to come at me like I'm constantly having a go at you just because I disagree with you?

FYI Barnsley have spent 76 years at the second tier of the English game. Yeovil have spent 4.5 months at that level so no, it's not anything like the same.

Flitcroft managed to keep Barnsley in the Championship last season, but read the quotes from their chairman - he's attributing that success to a siege mentality, and saying that this season was a step too far for Flitcroft. Similar to Knill, he would have had a Championship relegation on his CV if he'd stuck around.

You don't like Knill - I get it. I'm with you on that one. But I disagree with you that Flitcroft would guarantee any better chance of success.

I won't bother disagreeing in future.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Jeff, It wasn't meant in that way mate and I accept your opinion on Flitcroft and he could have done a slightly better job all things considered otherwise he wouldn't have got the sack. I just think that we badly need motivation and belief now and at our lowly level and having heard Flitcroft speak on loads of occasions I think he would work wonders here tactically unaware or not.

I apologise if my response sounded disrespectful or if I was angry at your opinion, it wasn't intended and I'm not angry at your opinion. You try and back it up with facts which I appreciate and I can learn from but I think it was a simple case of choosing the wrong words to reply to you Jeff.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Fair enough Andy, I appreciate that tempers are running high at the moment given the situation.

For what it's worth, I know where you are coming from regarding Flitcroft coming across quite well. Unfortunately, due to how they have got on this season it's open to suggestion that they only got out of the sh*t because the players finally realised what situation they were in and got their acts together just in time. Wind the clock forward to this season, take away the urgency and they have slipped back into underperforming. What I'm getting at is given how they have started this year, I don't think we can say with any degree of certainty that Flitcroft turned them around last year.

If we are going to give Knill the boot, I'd want us to go with an experienced head (Martin Allen would be ideal) as at least they have something of a proven track record
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Thanks Jeff. :-D

Maybe Flitcroft would have been the ideal interim boss for us then? Improving us through short term motivation and then getting someone else in over the summer. :)

I certainly do believe a short, sharp, shock is needed to help us wake up and recover but it doesn't look as though we'll get it. Saturday will tell us more and if I'm honest I'm getting a bit anxious about the game now it's on the horizon.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I wouldn't have wanted Flitcroft as a manager.

Classic case of dead cat bounce got him the job at Barnsley - a job he only had as he was taken there as assistant by Keith Hill and one of those appointments everyone, other than the board daft enough to appoint him, can see failing a mile off.

One such appointment is John Gregory at Crawley - stupid appointment. It won't work and he will be gone within a year, I expect.
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

IF we do get rid. Then finance dictates that MA is a bit of a pie in the sky appointment. I expect the clubs ambition will be limited to someone local, who has played for the club, was unlucky to miss out on the managers position twice, and is currently being touted for big things whilst managing the development setup at a professional club just up the coast.

If we're budgeting, then that's would be where my vote would go. It would also galvanise the fans and playing staff IMO, and even if it doesn't keep us up this season, we're giving a bright young coach a shot.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Have a think, Nick, and tell me why your last post makes absolutely no sense.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Jeff wrote:Fair enough Andy, I appreciate that tempers are running high at the moment given the situation.

For what it's worth, I know where you are coming from regarding Flitcroft coming across quite well. Unfortunately, due to how they have got on this season it's open to suggestion that they only got out of the sh*t because the players finally realised what situation they were in and got their acts together just in time. Wind the clock forward to this season, take away the urgency and they have slipped back into underperforming. What I'm getting at is given how they have started this year, I don't think we can say with any degree of certainty that Flitcroft turned them around last year.
If we are going to give Knill the boot, I'd want us to go with an experienced head (Martin Allen would be ideal) as at least they have something of a proven track record
disagree with this Jeff.

the players didnt seem to like keith hill.....

flicker got on with the players and motivated them brilliantly. he changed the way they played and coached them with the intention raisiing their energy levels. the players picked upon this. for example, they were unlucky to lose in his 1st game at peterboro. but 2nd game they went out and outplayed, outhought and outfought dirty leeds and won. flicker instilled that confidence and belief.

the same for when they totally outplayed hull, who,if they had won would have been promoted that day.
on the last day the scenes were incredible. it was the same atmosphere as when we beat barnet , so you get the idea....

and do note that sean o'driscoll and terry butcher turned barnsley down to slightly leave themin the lurch.......

as for this season, they have been unlucky but also underperformed. but do remember that barnsley have the lowest budget in the championship, and eventually it will catch up as with them as it did with barnet.

and i can say with 100% certainty that flitcroft was the reason why barnsley stayed up.

and there was me thinking that this thread was about the film....which of course was shot in Barnsley........!!
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Did anyone else think that Brassy was saying 'goodbye' at the end of the game ? He was hugging Manse and walked over to the popside and clapped. I may have read too much into it, but it looked like Manse wanted him to have some credit.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

goodluckgull wrote:Did anyone else think that Brassy was saying 'goodbye' at the end of the game ? He was hugging Manse and walked over to the popside and clapped. I may have read too much into it, but it looked like Manse wanted him to have some credit.
Good luck then. No loss
Lucy