New Grandstand

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

New Grandstand

Post by Jeff »

Something else that got missed out in the great shutdown..............

Obviously the club have released plans for the long awaited replacement of the old Grandstand. Personally I think the plans look pretty good - redeveloping that side of the ground will certainly make it look complete, it'll be fit for purpose and will probably help the atmosphere by keeping the noise in a little better. A negative is I would have liked to see it have a little greater capacity, but I guess crowds are such that there is little point as we will rarely fill it.

Anyway, its been a couple of weeks since the plans were released and no news has been forthcoming. Being exiled from the Bay my finger isn't quite on the pulse - does anyone have any news or updates on it? Have there been any objections to the redevelopment?
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I'm pretty sure there haven't been any objections to the redevelopment as yet, Jeff.

I agree that the plans look good. I think it does boost the capacity a little bit, as at the moment, our capacity is 6,104, and it is being increased to 6,500?

That would make sense as we are also filling that empty space next to the away end, which would increase it..

:)
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I'm personally delighted that we've decided to redevelop Plainmoor, rather than seek a location for a 'new build'. It's home and that's how it should stay. We'd only end up with an identikit stadium just like everyone else's otherwise.

I am surprised we're going to this much effort for such a small gain in capacity though. Completely understand the logic that, certainly for the forseeable future, we don't need much more. And there's nothing worse for the players than playing in an even more obviously empty ground. But if we have ambitions to become an established upper-League 1 club, wouldn't an increase up to, perhaps 8,000 make sense? Maybe it's impossible with the space available, and further increases would have to be made on the Pop Side? A steeper, deeper 'Pop' with better acoustics would be grand. One for the future...
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Just to throw it out there (probably a dreadful idea), but if we were to consolidate into League 1 in the next 2/3/4 seasons, and improve Plainmoor even more, could we not put another tier on the new grandstand or the Family Stand? Family stand may be difficult because of the executive boxes and the Gulls Nest and what not, but that would also help us increase the attendance without having to move grounds.

Or as you say we could somehow increase the popside, but that would be hard with the road right behind it?!
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

Maybe, but there remains some space between the Pop and the road. I'm not sure either the Family stand or new Grandstand have been/will be created with a structure that could easily be built upon.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I suppose that could work. Another silly suggestion could be that they could built the new Grandstand a little further from the pitch, somehow move the pitch over (like Exeter have done, closer to the Big Bank), giving move room to expand the Popside.

Still, we'll have to wait and see! :)
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

From what I can remember, I'm sure I heard that the structure of the Family Stand was designed that it could take an extra tier. I'd imagine that if that did happen, it would end up looking a bit like Walsall's stand (if you've been on the M6 recently).

In my mind, if Plainmoor was ever expanded I'd like to see them make use of the area behind the family stand. Demolish the swimming pool and move the stadium back a bit onto the playing field/park. That the way the club would be able to re-align the pitch to make the use of the space and probably build a decent sized stadium. And to appease the locals at the loss of open space and the pool - build a gym/community centre/conference and banquetting centre into the family stand "end" of any new stadium. This would then bring another revenue stream into the club.

But thats all very blue sky thinking!
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

The plans look really good - Agree :)

The Grandstand really makes our whole ground not good. But when/if the new Grandstand is done, the ground will look brilliant. I hope, in the little gap by the Grandstand, they make a mini roof for the disabled. Really hope the planning permission goes through :)

And I do hope TUFC call the stand, "The Paul Bristow Stand"
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Jeff wrote:From what I can remember, I'm sure I heard that the structure of the Family Stand was designed that it could take an extra tier. I'd imagine that if that did happen, it would end up looking a bit like Walsall's stand (if you've been on the M6 recently).

In my mind, if Plainmoor was ever expanded I'd like to see them make use of the area behind the family stand. Demolish the swimming pool and move the stadium back a bit onto the playing field/park. That the way the club would be able to re-align the pitch to make the use of the space and probably build a decent sized stadium. And to appease the locals at the loss of open space and the pool - build a gym/community centre/conference and banquetting centre into the family stand "end" of any new stadium. This would then bring another revenue stream into the club.

But thats all very blue sky thinking!
I do like that idea. It would give the club alot more room to bring in revenues other than just from TUFC itself. I think I read somewhere that Morecambe's new ground have some all-weather pitches that were constructed nearby... Good idea as it would give the players a place to train during the cold winters, without having to pay elsewhere. Also, you could rent them out to junior sides/local mens sides if they were needed. Broadening the revenue stream will help bring the community closer to the club..

Still, this is planning on top of planning that couldn't even happen! Hopefully it does, but who knows..
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

I ve brought this thread back in to circulation again for several reasons.

First off I m delighted that the Board are committed to redeveloping the existing structure and therefore ensuring our foreseeable future at Plainmoor. The Ellacombe End, the Babbacombe End, Plainmoor its very self are all important aspects of the identity of Torquay United and Torquay the Town. For me it will never be Torbay anything. The fact that our wedge for the development may well have to be paid on the never never is another matter. More about never and the never never later.

When the Cowshed came down and the Mini Stand went up in the late 60 s it still remained the Ellacombe End. When the Mini Stand and its extensions came down and the Family Stand went up in the early 90 s it STILL remained the Ellacombe End. To me it will ALWAYS be the Ellacombe End and Babbacombe End aswell. What has this to do with the new Grandstand ? Nothing, I thought I d waffle for a while like a warm up comedian does before the main act. More about nothing later.

Ellacombe, Babbacombe and Torquay Town of course have all played at Plainmoor and are fundamental aspects of Torquay United history as well as geographical districts. Torquay, Paignton and Brixham were doing very nicely thank you as the ENGLISH RIVIERA when something odious, insidious, dysfunctional and foreign decided to cross the Channel and squat on the landscape. Smell it ? Is dump a clue ? Aye, EU imposed USAT (Unitary Status Authority Torbay). Do you remember voting for it ? No, neither do I : imposition in position. Not for long. It is my duty to tell the two queens of Torbay (Mayor and Chief Exec.) that there is only ONE QUEEN OF THE ENGLISH RIVIERA AND IT S TORQUAY. The KK King is coming with the enema and when he sees what the Ugly Twisters have done to the Uptown Pearl, the rocket is going where the sun don t shine. Smell it now ? All other shadows hiding in their holes will have their butts kicked good and proper. What has this to do with the new Grandstand ? Nothing, I warned there d be more about nothing later.

Now more about never and the never never. The Board never anticipated the sheer drop in attendances that we ve all seen this season. The actual funding for the Grandstand is still not a done deal into which can be thrown the spanner of funding cutbacks. This is why a lucrative and long FA Cup run is absolutely vital. We as fans and supporters must do all we can. Even if the finances were healthy, the Board would have structured its wedge to be paid back on a managed never never basis. If the Board fail to pay back on the never never then at some point in the future we might never see Torquay United again ever. This is not a wind up. For Argyle it is, on December 8th.

The result of the World Cup bid is imminent. How this affects our Devon Clubs is yet to be seen. I m really grateful I ve seen England win the World Cup. What a Summer THAT was. Don t confuse with THAT SUMMER starring young Ray Winstone. If we get it, there s no guarantee we d win it and some old farts who saw the first one won t live long enough to see another one. If, F IN BIG IF, Home Park becomes a venue then Torquay will have the hotels and fully enclosed training ground at Plainmoor for Group teams Ukonninstan, Bongo Bongo, Packitinstan and the Democratic Republic of Kernow.

So, there could be more to the real motives behind the Grandstand development than the Football League saying your changing rooms are not fit for purpose. Summing up then, World Cup bid aside, if we don t get the necessary funding the Grandstand development remains in Jeopardy. How much transportation costs are from there I don t know.

If a group of hairy arse Geordie builders can transport a bridge from Middlesbrough to Arizona then I don t see a problem other than the cost.

YELLOW ARMY …… YELLOW ARMY …… YELLOW ARMY … :scarf:
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
sadlad
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Tommy Tynan

Post by sadlad »

I'm glad that you brought this thread back up, Trojan, and someone mentioned Walsall's tall stand. I think its great that Torquay United FC are staying at their true home, Plainmoor and not going down the route of a new stadium. We at Walsall had to leave Fellows Park in 1990 as it was falling to bits and no room for expansion but when you leave your home after so many decades its never the same atmosphere when you re-locate. Bescot is soul-less and devoid of any atmosphere unless its full.
I noticed last Saturday that Plainmoor looks a bit disjointed with that space between the away end and where the away seats are on the grandstand. With your plans to redevelop that side it will look great with all sides of the ground updated within the last 15 years or so. With Plainmoor in a built up area it has a community feel about it with the swimming baths and the pubs and supermarket near by.
Regarding the tall stand at Bescot that someone mentioned, there is planning permission in place to redevelop the existing away end to make it the same height. This would depend on two main factors- to bed down in the Championship for a few years (highly unlikely!!) and a major global sponsor to virtually pay for it! How that would work is that again plans have been passed for the outside of the new stand to have a massive illuminated neon sign the complete length of the end facing the busy M6 to advertise their product. Its all a pipe dream at the moment though.
Good luck with the redevelopment at Plainmoor and it would be nice to see it in place one day.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

sadlad wrote:I'm glad that you brought this thread back up, Trojan, and someone mentioned Walsall's tall stand. I think its great that Torquay United FC are staying at their true home, Plainmoor and not going down the route of a new stadium. We at Walsall had to leave Fellows Park in 1990 as it was falling to bits and no room for expansion but when you leave your home after so many decades its never the same atmosphere when you re-locate. Bescot is soul-less and devoid of any atmosphere unless its full.
I noticed last Saturday that Plainmoor looks a bit disjointed with that space between the away end and where the away seats are on the grandstand. With your plans to redevelop that side it will look great with all sides of the ground updated within the last 15 years or so. With Plainmoor in a built up area it has a community feel about it with the swimming baths and the pubs and supermarket near by.
Regarding the tall stand at Bescot that someone mentioned, there is planning permission in place to redevelop the existing away end to make it the same height. This would depend on two main factors- to bed down in the Championship for a few years (highly unlikely!!) and a major global sponsor to virtually pay for it! How that would work is that again plans have been passed for the outside of the new stand to have a massive illuminated neon sign the complete length of the end facing the busy M6 to advertise their product. Its all a pipe dream at the moment though.
Good luck with the redevelopment at Plainmoor and it would be nice to see it in place one day.
Thank you sadlad. This thread will build momentum (pun intended) as the clock ticks down. Take the smoke and mirrors out of my post and the attempt at humour and it comes down to whether the funding we get is sufficient and whether our income will be able to service our contribution towards the project.

You are spot on about Plainmoor being in the heart of the community (Plainmoor in Plainmoor surrounded by Ellacombe, Upton, Westhill, Daison, St.Marychurch and Babbacombe).

Take the club out of its comfort zone and you kill it. It would kill it for me as I only live 10 minutes walk away and being a born an bred Ellacombe buhy, I know Torquay like the back of a blind man's hand.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

the outside of the new stand to have a massive illuminated neon sign the complete length of the end facing the busy M6 to advertise their product
Sadlad, I remember someone being prosecuted recently for having advertising space close to a motorway. It distracts the drivers too much according to the RTA (having seen the way some people drive through spag junction, im astounded there arent more accidents as it is) so dont get your hopes up too much :ball1:

In fact, its in the remit of the Local Planning Authority (try something like "Advertising affecting Motorways, Trunk Roads and Local Authority Roads" and look for "considerations for public safety" )

The fact that it was a big billboard advert for "ladies skimpies" may possibly have been a factor :) :)
sadlad
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by sadlad »

Trojan I stayed in a hotel opposite Plainmoor in 1997 and 1999 called The Sunray which is on the corner of Aveland Road. When I went to book up there again a couple of years later it had sadly been converted to residential appartments and is still there now and its just called Sunray. Seemed weird when the coaches pulled up outside there on Saturday knowing that over ten years ago I stayed there. It was handy to use as a base, Used to walk down that alley way at the back of the Grandstand and down St Pauls Crescent to catch the No 31 and 34 bus into Torquay and it passed down by Ellacombe Church Road so I guess that's where you live? I used to drink in that Union pub some nights and that one opposite the supermarket. Was it called O'Connell's or summat? There was also a pub almost opposite The Union called the White Hart? Seem to remember it was a bit seedy and had a bit of a reputation and I noticed a few years ago it had been demolished and small flats in its place now.
sadlad
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by sadlad »

Fletch- like your humour there mate!

Yes we were all amazed that planning permission was granted for that stand extension with such a big advert. Doubt if it will ever come off though. We also have a big advertisment board built onto the away fans car park. There were objections locally but I think the club used their powers to swing a decision at the planners meeting at the council!