10 Years Ago Today

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

10 Years Ago Today

Post by Gulliball »

On 7th February 2004, we beat Swansea 2-1 away from home at the Vetch Field. This was one of my first ever away games, in a season which, when looking back now, was unfortunately far from typical for life as a Torquay fan. I think in 5 away games I saw us win 4 times and draw once.

David Graham put us one nil up, before they equalised late on, only for substitute Jo Kuffour to hit a late winner.

At the time of the game we were 8th in the league and Swansea were 9th, so this result was big for us, and set us up for the final run in when we overtook Huddersfield on the final day to take the last automatic promotion spot.

Report from a Swansea site on the game:

Cup kings Swansea dropped more home points to put their play-off aspirations in grave danger.

A goal five minutes from time by flu victim Jo Kuffour sent the Swans to defeat and they have yet to win at home in the League in 2004.

"Torquay are a good side and we were second best today," said Swans manager Brian Flynn.

"We made a bright start in the second half because I told the players at half time that we were a 'nearly' team. Torquay are a side in form, we aren't and it showed today as we were very predictable particularly in the first half." The visitors went ahead in the 18th minute when David Graham rounded two defenders before wrong-footing Roger Freestone in the home goal.

Flynn gave his side a half-time roasting and within 60 seconds of the restart they had two shots cleared off the Gulls goal-line as they tried to make up for their poor showing in the first half.

But it was not until the 81st minute that they were back on level terms when a poor clearance by Torquay keeper Kevin Dearden fell to Kevin Nugent who squeezed the ball into the net off the keeper from a tight angle.

Just as Swansea thought they had rescued a point, up popped Kuffour to blast home the winner.

Gulls manager Leroy Rosenior was pleased with Kuffour's match-winning performance.

"He didn't train until Thursday, but I knew I would have him in the squad even if he was still suffering from flu," he said.

"I knew if he had hold of the ball he could cause them problems and as soon as he went onto the pitch that is exactly what happened." Swansea are now eight points adrift of Torquay and unless Flynn quickly restores confidence a place in the end of season play-offs may be beyond them.

Anybody else there that day? Or have any other Swansea memories? Fair to say that Swansea have had a slight upturn in fortunes since then, whilst we are in the same division, with a worse side this year, but have improved a lot in terms of infrastructure and professionalism around the club.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
teeboo100
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: alex russell

Post by teeboo100 »

remember that game really well kuffour absolutely smashed the winner after a super little drop the shoulder move around the defender i remember being gutted that they somehow grabbed an equalizer when we seamed in total control of the game. o they where good times under leroy we had a great side then.
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Yep, awesome day.
Colorado Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Colorado Gull »

I remember it well, one of the best days out in that wonder season! I remember every single Torquay fan going absolutely mental when super Joe Kuffour smashed the winner home. Great times.
Formerly dannyrvtufc4life.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Thanks for sharing those memories, I went to the forgotten play-off final first leg away to Swansea, don't have lot memories, other than the coach getting a rough ride on the way in, having a cordoned off area around the away turnstile, and what seem to be a delay in giving our late goal.
Formerly known as forevertufc
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

I remember this day, drove up to the ground wearing no TUFC colours at all having only decided to make the trip at 11am, had an absolutely great afternoon and then got verbally abused by a TUFC fan(I know exactly who he is and remember him to this day) as being a sheep s**ging, taff w**ker, and to f**k off back to the sheep, as I was returning to my car.

Nice bloke...

Great game though!
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Yaaaay, I've disabled my swear filter.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

Don't tell me you were able to crack my code Matt?
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Great day, my boy was 11 and picked to take a penalty against the Swan at half time and was taken on to the pitch just before. He stood by the TQY dug out and being 11 stood with a broad grin straight in front of Leroy, " Hi Leroy" he said as he was trying to watch the action. lol

Think we were second in the league after that match, ironically the highest place (I think) that season.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

nickfrench82 wrote:Don't tell me you were able to crack my code Matt?
I was. Went on a day trip to Bletchley Park last year and haven't been able to stop since.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

10 years ago today:

Hull 0-1 Torquay

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 482191.stm

Hull keeper Boaz Myhill was on top form but could not prevent a Torquay win that sees the Tigers slip to second in the Division Three table.
David Graham headed goalwards and Martin Gritton reacted quickest to convert from six yards.

Myhill continually denied Torquay, who should have added to their tally but for some woeful finishing.

Matt Hockley hit the post from long-range and Gritton wasted a glorious chance to net his second.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hull: Myhill, Thelwell, Joseph, Delaney, Holt, Green, Marshall, Hinds, Elliott, Walters, Burgess. Subs: Musselwhite, Forrester, France, Melton, Peat.

Torquay: Dearden, McGlinchey, Woods, Taylor, Canoville, Fowler, Hockley, Russell, Hill, Graham, Kuffour. Subs: Van Heusden, Gritton, Bedeau, Woozley, Hazell.

Referee: M Ryan (Lancashire)

Hull went on to finish 2nd, one place ahead of us, as both sides went up automatically. So that's Swansea and Hull we beat away from home in our magical 2003/04 season that are now Premiership sides.
www.torquayfanstats.com
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Gulliball wrote:10 years ago today:

Hull 0-1 Torquay

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 482191.stm

Hull keeper Boaz Myhill was on top form but could not prevent a Torquay win that sees the Tigers slip to second in the Division Three table.
David Graham headed goalwards and Martin Gritton reacted quickest to convert from six yards.

Myhill continually denied Torquay, who should have added to their tally but for some woeful finishing.

Matt Hockley hit the post from long-range and Gritton wasted a glorious chance to net his second.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hull: Myhill, Thelwell, Joseph, Delaney, Holt, Green, Marshall, Hinds, Elliott, Walters, Burgess. Subs: Musselwhite, Forrester, France, Melton, Peat.

Torquay: Dearden, McGlinchey, Woods, Taylor, Canoville, Fowler, Hockley, Russell, Hill, Graham, Kuffour. Subs: Van Heusden, Gritton, Bedeau, Woozley, Hazell.

Referee: M Ryan (Lancashire)

Hull went on to finish 2nd, one place ahead of us, as both sides went up automatically. So that's Swansea and Hull we beat away from home in our magical 2003/04 season that are now Premiership sides.
nice.

and I think the word bo**ocks sums it up nicely as to where we all are now.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

harbertongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: guy branston

Post by harbertongull »

That's the story of our existence, look where they are, look where we are!
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Gulliball »

Guess what happened 10 years ago today?

(A few days later...)
www.torquayfanstats.com
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

bo**ocks.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468