50th Anniversary-Torquay v Spurs-FA Cup Third Round.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

50th Anniversary-Torquay v Spurs-FA Cup Third Round.

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Club planning to celebrate this occasion at our match with Alfreton on Sunday 4th January.
Not many of the team that day still with us,I guess, but sure our greatest ever player will be there;and even some fans like me who witnessed it!
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

The early to mid sixties were Tottenham Hotspur's golden days, and people were packed into Plainmoor like sardines, though I'm not sure if that was our biggest ever attendance. I believe Plymouth Argyle also hosted Spurs in an FA Cup game sometime during that era, which was also a big occasion, but a game they lost. Our achievement in taking Spurs to a replay was impressive at the time, because Spurs were an impressive team. Imagine us playing the likes of Chelsea in the third round at Plainmoor in January. And limited to a crowd of around 6000. Wouldn't have quite the same atmosphere..
Broadley gull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Broadley gull »

I was there crushed on the railings by the corner flag on the old popular side, just under 21,000 inside plainmoor!!!, I will never forget that day & that late fight back . Robin Stubbs was & still is the greatest striker ever to play for us (IMO), anyway you can still see a clip of his equalising goal at white hart lane on youtube today, some goal that was in front of 55,000 + fans .
Still enough of back to the future ... COYG, lets get 3 points on Saturday ..
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

I was there! Absolutely packed out on the pop. side with Spurs and United followers together - no segregation, no trouble. A great game, in fact, for those who were there, the unforgettable one. Imagine, Jimmy Greaves, Alan Gilzean, Brown, Marchi and many more illuminati along with Tommy Northcott, Colin Bettany (The Beast), Terry Adlington, and the greatest ever - and I mean EVER - Robin.
All United players still alive should be invited to Plainmoor and feted and praised.
Also, there should be a statue of Stubbsy erected outside Plainmoor - don't think I'm fooling, I'm deadly serious. other clubs do it for their true stars - so why not United for the one and only Robin Stubbs - the greatest player ever.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

I hadn't been to many games before this one and hadn't really "caught the bug as yet" but my I remember my dad being really excited before the match and telling me to stick close as the ground would be packed.It was unbelievably exciting and I was completely hooked from that day on.Two very late goals from Stubbsy and he so nearly scored the winner as well.Dad travelled up to London with his mates for replay but it was rained off and Spurs were too good for us when the match was finally played.As well as Robin I still see Alan Smith around town so he will hopefully be at the celebration too.
Looking forward to the event in January and reminiscing about that great day with others like Wivel,Broadley,etc who were there too.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

Obviously I wasn't around when Robin Stubbs was playing - was he really THAT good, or is it nostalgia that is kicking in?

Just curious.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Scott Brehaut wrote:Obviously I wasn't around when Robin Stubbs was playing - was he really THAT good, or is it nostalgia that is kicking in?
Just curious.
Saw him play a few times in my youth. He really was that good. Skilful, fit, and intelligent, he should have been playing in the very top division. Imagine a mature Lee Sharpe in his prime at Man U., but instead playing for the Gulls. Or imagine any top current Premier League striker playing for the Gulls. That was Robin Stubbs. But it was a different world in those days..
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Gullscorer wrote: Saw him play a few times in my youth. He really was that good. Skilful, fit, and intelligent, he should have been playing in the very top division. Imagine a mature Lee Sharpe in his prime at Man U., but instead playing for the Gulls. Or imagine any top current Premier League striker playing for the Gulls. That was Robin Stubbs. But it was a different world in those days..
He did of course play in the top division as a youngster for Birmingham City before he came to us as a 21 year old. His goal scoring exploits made him a target for the top division clubs but it seems he really didn't want to leave Torquay. There was one bid from Blackpool, who were in the top division at that time, of £25000 which was hell of a lot in the mid 60's and it looked all settled but fell through at the last minute. A superb entertainer. Who could ever forget his 5 goals against Newport County in an 8-3 win?; or trumping that with 6 against Cheltenham Town in a 7-1 win?; or that absolute cracker at Darlington on the final day of our 1966 promotion season which was ridiculously disallowed as the player who had taken the corner that Stubbs volleyed in was given offside?; or announcing our arrival in the higher league with 4 against Walsall in a 5-2 win?; or the 40 yard last minute goal against Colchester United which set us up for that memorable tie on 9 January 1965?; or the 2 flukiest goals he ever scored in the last 5 minutes on 9 January 1965.

I am pleased to say that I was not one of the thousands to invade the pitch after the equaliser thus interrupting our momentum and denying us the victory!

Mind you, it wasn't because I was a very sensible 12 year old. It was because I was jammed in at the other end and couldn't move! ;-)
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Scott, he really was that good. He was a superstar to me and as GS says, in todays world he was a Premiership player that was happy to play for little old Torquay, although back then we were a very good and capable side.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Ultra talented,charismatic,and loyal-I absolutely idolised him when I was a kid.I always fancied us to win when he was playing-to lose when he wasn't.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

Yes, he was that good. I idolised him then, and I idolise him now!
No-one (in my time since 1963)has ever come near him in terms of skill, adventurousness, excitement, originality, power and - above all - grace. Yes, that was our Robin.
eastmoorgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Stubbs

Post by eastmoorgull »

My all time footballing hero; he was the reason I started to be a regular at Plainmoor in the 60's.
The team was always rather flat without him, felt sorry for Fred Binney when he had to step in!
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

Yes I was there as well, cramed in on the pop side near what is now the away end.I managed to persuade my future father in law to come as he followed Man U being his home town team but even he got caught up in all the excitement.One of the best games I ever saw at Plainmoor and a great achievement playing against the mighty Spurs with all those internationals.All of our team played well that day but Robin took centre stage,he just looked the part,big strong and quick for the football of thoses days and he was allways turned out imaculatly plus a wonderfull suntan,compared alongside Tommy Northcott who looked like he washed in bleach but a great pairing.Woderfull memories and a fab idea to celebrate the anniversary.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by wivelgull »

Mind you, Tommy Northcott is one of my all-time heroes too.
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

wivelgull wrote:Mind you, Tommy Northcott is one of my all-time heroes too.
For similar reasons?

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com