David Graham

General chat about anything else goes here.
Stoke_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

David Graham

Post by Stoke_Gull »

Have just seen that David Graham has left Worksop Town after only four months. He just hasn't settled anywhere since he left Torquay in 2004, 23 goals in 142 games for 10 seperate clubs proves that, especially when he scored 47 in 120 apperances for us. He's still only 32 as well, I wonder how he gets by as the clubs Graham has been playing for over the past few years don't exactly pay huge sums.

Apologies if this is in the wrong section but I couldn't find the original David Graham thread.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

It's a real shame. I often wonder what would have happened if he'd stayed with us immediately after promotion. My guess is; we'd have stayed up, then he'd have got a move to Premiership club (wigan were *only* championship at the time) and got the kind of contract than ensures no more financial worries.
Mind you, I can't remember what he got from Wigan but as I recall they were paying pretty high salaries at the time. How long was he there for, anyway?
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
Stoke_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoke_Gull »

happytorq wrote:It's a real shame. I often wonder what would have happened if he'd stayed with us immediately after promotion. My guess is; we'd have stayed up, then he'd have got a move to Premiership club (wigan were *only* championship at the time) and got the kind of contract than ensures no more financial worries.
Mind you, I can't remember what he got from Wigan but as I recall they were paying pretty high salaries at the time. How long was he there for, anyway?
Grham was at Wigan from July 2004 until August 2005 making 30 appearences and scoring just one goal against Coventry. Wigan paid £215,000 for him, he was then sold to Sheffield Wednesday for £250,000. Good deal for Wigan.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill
Watches from: The sofa

Post by happytorq »

Stoke_Gull wrote:Grham was at Wigan from July 2004 until August 2005 making 30 appearences and scoring just one goal against Coventry. Wigan paid £215,000 for him, he was then sold to Sheffield Wednesday for £250,000. Good deal for Wigan.

Excellent deal for Wigan.

And Owls fans wonder their team struggles financially.. :clown:
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Help me out guys, I wasn't here for the DG era.

Just how good was he? Better than EoK? Better than Robinson (toughie I know, but try to help me out), better than Wroe at his best?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

ferrarilover wrote:Help me out guys, I wasn't here for the DG era.

Just how good was he? Better than EoK? Better than Robinson (toughie I know, but try to help me out), better than Wroe at his best?

Matt.
Well put it this way, there was a goal he scored against Hull one year when he had his back to goal around 30 yards out, shot as he took around a quarter turn and it looped straight into the top left hand corner. I've spent ages trying to find the highlights for that one! It would be hard to compare him to any of those 3 as he played in a different way, I'd have no doubt that (at his peak) he'd get in the first XI every week. The thing with DG is that he had Aggy Russell behind him who was very much the midfield general, played very much like Paul Scholes, you'd be a bit shocked if the ball didn't get to our player!

DG started off as being a player with a bit of an attitude and didn't put in 100% but was perhaps was forgiven by coming up with a couple important goals. I seem to remember thinking the goal at Barnet to keep us up was basically where it started coming good. The next season he started to show a bit of class, very capable of taking on a player or 2, seem to remember him having a fantastic first touch at times and was more than happy to shoot from range.

Infact, does that remind anyone of Kee?!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Nice one Camb, you're on fire this week.

My only reservation with that is the idea of basing his talent on a single goal. (I know that's not exactly what you're saying, but stick with it) By that logic, Muzzy Carayol is the sory of geezer who will pick up a ball, beat two men down the left and unleash a dipping 40 yard blunderbus over the keeper and into the top corner (for the confused, I refer to Dag and Red away last year). My argument would be that Muzzy's goal was better than that of Wayne Rooney (see other thread) against City.

Anyone else care to enlighten me as to DG's tekkers?

Matt.
cambgull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: All Of Them

Post by cambgull »

ferrarilover wrote:Nice one Camb, you're on fire this week.

My only reservation with that is the idea of basing his talent on a single goal. (I know that's not exactly what you're saying, but stick with it) By that logic, Muzzy Carayol is the sory of geezer who will pick up a ball, beat two men down the left and unleash a dipping 40 yard blunderbus over the keeper and into the top corner (for the confused, I refer to Dag and Red away last year). My argument would be that Muzzy's goal was better than that of Wayne Rooney (see other thread) against City.

Anyone else care to enlighten me as to DG's tekkers?

Matt.
Having watched Soccer AM on saturday for the first time in a couple seasons, I saw "tekkers" mentioned a few times...

What the bloody hell are tekkers?!

Back on topic though, I agree, you cannot base his skill after one goal but apart from the goal against Barnet, it's probably the one thing I remember most about him. Did anyone else find that the shirts always looked completely different on DG than it did on any other player? Maybe it was just his body shape or something but it was as if he was wearing a really baggy ladies shirt! Just me? Oh, ok!
Luke.

"Successful applicants need not apply"
Stoke_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoke_Gull »

Agree with you there about the shirts, on every picture and video I can find of him, he looks as though his shirt is about 3 sizes too big for him. I think baggy shirts were in for football teams during the 90's and early 2000's though so that might explain.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Tekkers are Silks. =D

They're skills, those little flicks and tricks which earn the player involved a round of applause when they come off and a fine from the manager when they don't. I use tekkers in a purely ironic sense since, in truth, Soccer AM has been sliding slowly downhill since Tim Lovejoy left and they haven't had a proper catchy campaign since Save Chip about 8 years ago.
Interestingly, I know the 'Easy, Easy, Easy' chant as a Soccer AM invention, is that right?

Matt.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

ferrarilover wrote:Tekkers are Silks. =D

They're skills, those little flicks and tricks which earn the player involved a round of applause when they come off and a fine from the manager when they don't. I use tekkers in a purely ironic sense since, in truth, Soccer AM has been sliding slowly downhill since Tim Lovejoy left and they haven't had a proper catchy campaign since Save Chip about 8 years ago.
Interestingly, I know the 'Easy, Easy, Easy' chant as a Soccer AM invention, is that right?

Matt.
No.

Big Daddy "invented" it in the '70's.

ferrarilover
Legend
Legend

Post by ferrarilover »

Nice one Jezza.

Matt.
Stoke_Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Stoke_Gull »

David Graham has now joined Hucknall Town of the Evo - Stik Premier League after being released by Worksop earlier this year. Since joining he has made 3 appearences scoring one goal against Whitby Town on his debut. Wonder how many weeks he will stay at Hucknall for before he is released? Below is a link to his profile on the Hucknall website, not mcuh to look at though, he never stays long enough at a club to have a profile picture.

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/hucknallt ... _id=342145" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

ferrarilover wrote:Help me out guys, I wasn't here for the DG era.

Matt.
He probably remains the best striker I've ever seen us have - up there with Tim Sills.

Hard to compare to O'Kane, Robinson or Wroe as he played centre forward, not in midfield! ^.^

But anyway, some fantastic goals, he was a very capable forward in his day, but I think that alcohol and smoking caught up with him. I was a mascot for the Kidderminster game as the last home game of the 03/04 season, and got a photo with him as he was POTY or Top Goalscorer (possibly both?!).

Truly excellent player back in the days, that goal described against Hull by Cambgull was fantastic.

However, nothing will beat Kevin Hills overhead against Macclesfield, that season. The best goal I have ever seen at Plainmoor, that.

:bow:
Fletch
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lorz

Post by Fletch »

NickGull wrote: Hard to compare to O'Kane, Robinson or Wroe as he played centre forward, not in midfield!
When he first came here it was as an attacking midfielder (brought in by our ex CEO). Roy Mc tried him up front part way through the season which seemed to work (if i remember rightly).