Current 11

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Yellow army 1
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Briscoe

Current 11

Post by Yellow army 1 »

If fans where to choose there 11 now out of our current squad what would it be. Just interested to know
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I think it's to early to pick the best 11 yet but I would have thought PC started with his best side and was pleased with the first half hour which speaks for itself but I would like to see a place for Chaney as he seemed like a breath of fresh air when he came on as in the previous games. Your post has started me thinking though.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Agreed with the above post in the sense that it's to early to pick a best 11, can't comment on Chaney as never seen him play. Didn't go to the match yesterday, but not to concerned at the moment, I should imagine some of the Bowman money will go into perhaps a target man signing, as many have suggested, certainly think there will be some loan signings to pad out the squad as well.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Markh84
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Brendan Moore

Post by Markh84 »

Having watched the game yesterday I thought we were the better team for the first half an hour. So I would say our best 11 at the moment would be the same team that started the game yesterday but with Lavercombe in goal and Fairhurst instead of Yeoman maybe. James Hurst was our best player in the first half, he was a constant threat. He looks like our best signing so far for sure.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

forevertufc wrote:Agreed with the above post in the sense that it's to early to pick a best 11, can't comment on Chaney as never seen him play. Didn't go to the match yesterday, but not to concerned at the moment, I should imagine some of the Bowman money will go into perhaps a target man signing, as many have suggested, certainly think there will be some loan signings to pad out the squad as well.

I think you will be right. Don't usually go to friendlies but wandered up to Plainmoor yesterday. We definitely need a target man and someone to bolster midfield. And I don't think the 'keeper who played yesterday is the answer - we need an experienced keeper to back up Dan Lavercombe who again looked impressive. I'm sure there will be loanees brought in.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Do we even have 11 players? I think we got up to about 13 but with players now starting to leave I don't know what we have any more!
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

The best we could put out at the moment would be ...

4-4-2. Lavercombe; Hurst(injured!), MacDonald, Geohaghon, Butler; Murembedzi, Richards, Young, Briscoe; Fairhurst, Marsh.
Subs: Odofin, Chaney, Yeoman, Prynn.

Based on comments made by Paul Cox soon after he got appointed I think he is looking for a squad size of 20 and so (assuming there is room in the budget) you would imagine he would want another SIX or so more - a couple of which may well come from the loan market.

I would imagine he would ideally want a goalkeeper, a couple more centre backs ( ideally at least one who can double up as a fullback ( such as current triallist Jamie Richards - not sure that he is the answer though tbh) a couple of midfielders and a big target man up front.

With Hurst out for possibly 5-6 weeks, we will either need to switch MacDonald there (that's mainly the position he played for Salisbury the season before he joined us) or get another one in. Funnily enough, that wing back role is the sort of position that Toby Ajala has played before - certainly when he was on loan at AFC Wimbledon, such a shame that he seems to have left us for good (now trialling at Dover).
Dockers Pal
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by Dockers Pal »

We're two and a half weeks from the Macclefield game and IMO we have only a handful of players we could have any belief in Macdonald, Geohagen, Butler, Murembedzi, Young, Bristoe, and Marsh. Fairhurst doesnt look fit, Yeoman has only worked in fits and starts, Richards,? Hurst injured,and a handful of juniors with little or no league level experience. It doesn't look good. And we're promised a fresh bout of no-nonsense long ball tactics. Woohoo!!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Dockers Pal wrote:We're two and a half weeks from the Macclefield game and IMO we have only a handful of players we could have any belief in Macdonald, Geohagen, Butler, Murembedzi, Young, Bristoe, and Marsh. Fairhurst doesnt look fit, Yeoman has only worked in fits and starts, Richards,? Hurst injured,and a handful of juniors with little or no league level experience. It doesn't look good. And we're promised a fresh bout of no-nonsense long ball tactics. Woohoo!!

I have a belief in Dan Lavercombe. ;-) No doubt there will be further developments after the Yeovil and Plymouth friendlies. Agreed it's not ideal that we don't have much idea what the starting eleven will be on Aug 8th but hey, we're in business which was in question at one stage.
Dockers Pal
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by Dockers Pal »

Perhaps Im in a bad place but it feels a lot like Knills summer of recruitment where he was cobbling a squad together that as all very last minute - and where did that lead. I'll give you that Cox has more credibility.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Well, Mr Cox has been manager for only five weeks or so. We could hardly expect him to sign players and build up the squad before he was even given the job. And the circumstances at the club which gave rise to his late appointment must be well known by now.

And yes, we're two and a half weeks from the Macclesfield game, with a new manager in charge (with, though it hardly seems possible, an even smaller playing budget then the previous manager) under a new ownership consortium taking over a failing debt-ridden club and having to make big financial cuts to ensure the club's future. In these circumstances the new manager is building a squad which, by general consensus, is actually inspiring a quiet optimism for the season ahead.

Two and a half weeks to go before the first professional competitive game under his leadership at Torquay United. And already we are beginning to see the negative complaints of disillusioned doubters and sceptics, the cynical whingers and grumblers, the doubting Thomases turning up like bad pennies, secure in the fantastical knowledge that they are far better managers than Mr Cox will ever be, and knowing in far greater depth and detail the minutiae of players' fitness, skills, and development, and indeed, knowing far better than the manager what is in the manager's mind, seeing in their mind's eye the whole gigantic picture based on perhaps one or two small pieces of the huge jigsaw puzzle.

How do these omnipotent knobheads manage to acquire such self-satisfied knowledge, wisdom, and (in their own minds) good judgment, which in reality is absolute tosh? My first thoughts were that they must have had long experience of supporting Exeter City to be able to spout such nonsensical rubbish. But that is doing City supporters an injustice. One wonders what will happen should these so-called supporters turn up at matches. Will they cheer the team on? Or will they continue with their criticism and negativity throughout the game?

What's to be done with them? Lobotomy? Electric shock treatment? Re-education? Or do we just ignore them? Certainly those at the club, the manager and the players, would be well advised to do so, and to simply get on with their jobs, secure in the knowledge that the vast majority of supporters will be cheering them on at every game.

p.s. This is not an attack on any particular person or persons, but, if the cap fits, wear it...!! :@
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

:goodpost:

Normally pretty quick to criticise when I feel something isn't quiet right but jeepers you have to see evidence first before doing so. One thing I have noticed is a change in attitude to a more buisness like and in particular a no "nonsense" approach from Paul Cox. I don't know this but one just might point to the departure of Bowman, IMO he only really played when he felt like it, not a 110% er In my book.

Paul Cox will do his best, of that I'm certain, something I'm not sure could be said of our last two incumbents.
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

Gullscorer wrote:Well, Mr Cox has been manager for only five weeks or so. We could hardly expect him to sign players and build up the squad before he was even given the job. And the circumstances at the club which gave rise to his late appointment must be well known by now.

And yes, we're two and a half weeks from the Macclesfield game, with a new manager in charge (with, though it hardly seems possible, an even smaller playing budget then the previous manager) under a new ownership consortium taking over a failing debt-ridden club and having to make big financial cuts to ensure the club's future. In these circumstances the new manager is building a squad which, by general consensus, is actually inspiring a quiet optimism for the season ahead.

Two and a half weeks to go before the first professional competitive game under his leadership at Torquay United. And already we are beginning to see the negative complaints of disillusioned doubters and sceptics, the cynical whingers and grumblers, the doubting Thomases turning up like bad pennies, secure in the fantastical knowledge that they are far better managers than Mr Cox will ever be, and knowing in far greater depth and detail the minutiae of players' fitness, skills, and development, and indeed, knowing far better than the manager what is in the manager's mind, seeing in their mind's eye the whole gigantic picture based on perhaps one or two small pieces of the huge jigsaw puzzle.

How do these omnipotent knobheads manage to acquire such self-satisfied knowledge, wisdom, and (in their own minds) good judgment, which in reality is absolute tosh? My first thoughts were that they must have had long experience of supporting Exeter City to be able to spout such nonsensical rubbish. But that is doing City supporters an injustice. One wonders what will happen should these so-called supporters turn up at matches. Will they cheer the team on? Or will they continue with their criticism and negativity throughout the game?

What's to be done with them? Lobotomy? Electric shock treatment? Re-education? Or do we just ignore them? Certainly those at the club, the manager and the players, would be well advised to do so, and to simply get on with their jobs, secure in the knowledge that the vast majority of supporters will be cheering them on at every game.

p.s. This is not an attack on any particular person or persons, but, if the cap fits, wear it...!! :@
Well said!
TUST number 080
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Lloyder5 wrote: Well said!
Seconded! I have no great expectations for this season, I will support the club (WE STILL HAVE ONE, JUST) and enjoy going to Plainmoor and several away games with my expectations low. And I will support them when things are not going well, which I fully expect given the turmoil of the summer.
TUST MEMBER
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Good for you Gullscorer. My sentiments entirely. Season No. 53 finds me looking forward to the first game and with a degree of optimism. If nothing else I think we will see players putting in a proper shift, plenty of effort. Will miss the slicked back hair, drainpipe trousers and winkle picker shoes of Chris Hargreaves on the touch line but Mr. Cox is inspiring more confidence in me and I am hoping us Gull fans will be pleasantly surprised at what happens on the pitch. I do not expect any Braintree type roll overs where some players played like sloths on valium.