Torquay United v Exeter City - 29/12/13

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Thoroughly inept performance yet again :-(

Credit to Bodin who, after a poor game on Boxing Day, put in a great performance today. I've always liked Billy but wish he would shoot more. Disappointed to see Chapell on the bench but if he's tired, perhaps the rest will help.

My concern is over the real lack of depth to the squad. Without Marquis, we are seriously poor up front. Also, when was the last time one of our strikers had a one on one with the opposition's goalie?

I was going to go to Plymouth but I'm drained of energy supporting the team at the moment and am rapidly falling out of love with the club I've followed all my life. I've decided to save my money and stay away.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
knightmaregull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by knightmaregull »

Better performance today, that cannot be denied BUT both Rovers and City were very poor teams and we let them both off the hook big time.

Lots of mixed comments regarding certain players which will always be the case but for me yes Downes & O'Connor gave goals away today BUT also for me both put in great shifts and are continually let down by our awful strikers and poor midfield.

That aside my only specific comment would be Cruise at leftback. I agree the Tonge offers nothing special but for me Cruise is exposed time and time again by poor positioning, only ever wins uncontested headers, cannot pass more than 5 yards and whenever he tries to go forward on the overlap puts it out of play. Surely I can't be the only one to think this??! I would go Nico - Downes - Pearce - O'Connor without a doubt. Won't happen though as AK will not drop Tonge or backtrack on Nico.

There's no team spirit at Torquay any more and that really worries and saddens me as it's what has traditionally got us through the status as underdogs and for me that has to fall at the feet of the manager.
standupsitdown
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Watches from: Pop side

Post by standupsitdown »

I wasn't there today but there was certainly team spirit at Dagenham.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Wow what a lot of contrasting opinions! I guess that's football.
For what it's worth I thought the players put in a great shift and for me there was nothing wrong with the team spirit. What a difference scoring the penalty would have made but Hawley's attempt was poor. If only Marquis had been fit. Sadly he's gone back to Millwall with a groin problem. Stockley, too, went back to Bournemouth after his sub apprearance on Boxing Day with a back injury but according to Knill on Radio Devon he returns on Tuesday.
Also according to Knill, Cruise only passed a late fitness test to play and Tonge had been up all night ill.
Exeter had one meaningful shot in the first half and to be fair scored a good goal with the ball moving alarmingly in the air to beat Poke on his near post.
At half-time we just knew Tisdale would change his shape and he did forcing, in particular, Mozika to play deeper and thus became less effective up front.
Exeter's second goal was the killer despite Hawley's goal incidentially from a great cross from Benyon who, in my opinion, should have started. I wouldn't shed any tears if Hawley went out on loan providing we brought someone else in during the January transfer window.
Before Exeter's third we had chances to equalise but the visitors survived going on to hit three after a lengthy injury delay.
Immediately after the game I could see a relegation battle ahead but Poke, Downes, O'Connor, Mozika, Mansell, Bodin, McCourt are decent players so too is Chapell on his day (he's carrying a foot injury at present) and Pearce is a good defender to have in reserve.
What we need is for either Marquis (or similar) and Stockey to be available for the rest of the season.
Conference football is not here yet.
For those wanting Knill out I don't see this happening unless something seriously goes wrong on New Year's Day.
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

DTUFC wrote: He wasn't great today but I can't see why Knill refuses to move O'Connor to right-back in place of the woeful Tonge and put Pearce alongside Downes. O'Connor apparently played RB for Burton last year and he's decent on the ball, which Tonge quite clearly isn't.
It's pretty obvious Pearce is not 100%
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Knill said before the Xmas period that he would utilise his squad with so many matches in a short period. Cruise was hobbling in the Bristol Rovers match and also apparently had a bandage on his knee an hour before kick off today. If thats the case why did Knill opt for a yts player on the bnch instead of Nico as cover. Similarly why play Tonge he had been up all night. He could quite easily have bought back Pearce and played O'Connor at right back.
In fact Pearce must be bought back at centre back in place of O'Connor - the youngster is a good player but isn't quite enough or commanding enough to play at centre half. He should be given a run out at full back and Tonge should be rested for the Plymouth game.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Today was a huge disappointment. In the first half we played a poor exeter team off the park but some how went in at half time 1 goal down.

I will never understand why Hawley took the penalty. He had not started a match for several weeks and yet he was trusted to take this vital spot kick. I am convinced had we scored we would have won this match because Exeter were outplayed.

Alan Knill must bring back Pearce for the Argyle match.

Jak McCourt is a fantastic young player, just 18 years old, and as well as he played I think Knill knew that 3 games in 7 days was a lot to ask and that is why i think he decided to bring on Benyon. It also made sense to play 2 up front and of course Benyon supplied the pass for Hawley to score.

I was told Marquis was recalled by Milwall but it appears he did not play because of a burst cyst.

Boy did we miss him.

This is a young team and some of the football we played in the first half was really good. Billy Bodin played the best match i have seen and i just hope he can keep up this form and start scoring.

If we loose Marquis we just have to get a big man in because Hawley is not the answer.
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

Just changing the subject ever so slightly, but WTF was Tisdale wearing today? It looked like he got dressed in the dark. :lol:

Flat cap, long brown jacket and what looked like purple trousers. All he needed was a fu(king whippet and pipe.

I'm surprised the Police didn't arrest him for crimes against fashion :~D
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

portugull wrote:Today was a huge disappointment. In the first half we played a poor exeter team off the park but some how went in at half time 1 goal down.

I will never understand why Hawley took the penalty. He had not started a match for several weeks and yet he was trusted to take this vital spot kick. I am convinced had we scored we would have won this match because Exeter were outplayed.

Alan Knill must bring back Pearce for the Argyle match.

Jak McCourt is a fantastic young player, just 18 years old, and as well as he played I think Knill knew that 3 games in 7 days was a lot to ask and that is why i think he decided to bring on Benyon. It also made sense to play 2 up front and of course Benyon supplied the pass for Hawley to score.

I was told Marquis was recalled by Milwall but it appears he did not play because of a burst cyst.

Boy did we miss him.

This is a young team and some of the football we played in the first half was really good. Billy Bodin played the best match i have seen and i just hope he can keep up this form and start scoring.

If we loose Marquis we just have to get a big man in because Hawley is not the answer.
I wouldn't expect to see him again, although the official news is that he was injured, I think the recall is a far more likely story, and if you were him, would you come back to a club in this kind of mess?
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Oil Beef Hooked wrote:Just changing the subject ever so slightly, but WTF was Tisdale wearing today? It looked like he got dressed in the dark. :lol:

Flat cap, long brown jacket and what looked like purple trousers. All he needed was a fu(king whippet and pipe.

I'm surprised the Police didn't arrest him for crimes against fashion :~D
nowt wrong wi' a whippet me old cock.

or a ferret.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Good teams do not lose 3-1.

Unlucky teams do not lose 3-1.

Especially a local derby game. You only lose 3-1 when the other team is better or you are poor.

Those saying we only lost because we missed a penalty and made mistakes, is a bit like saying we lost because they scored more than us. That is what football is about, stopping them scoring and scoring yourself. They scored three good goals. We didn't look like scoring all day, other than Hawley's tap in and I do not think we would have kept them out, even had we gone 1-0 up. They were a cleverer team than us and better organised by a more astute manager.

Today, also persuaded me not to go to Plymouth. I was going to buy the 3rd kit and a ticket for Plymouth but that performance decided it for me and I didn't go to the club shop and buy a shirt or ticket and with petrol, have probably saved myself £70.

I found myself, walking away, not even feeling that bothered by the fact we lost to Exeter. Like so many others, I am just weary of this team under this clueless and hopelessly inept manager, that I just felt resigned to defeat today, in the same way I am for the Plymouth game. People will point to the fact that there was no Marquis or Stockley, forgetting they are not even our players and could be recalled anyway and where would we be then? Oh, yes, left with Knill's marquee signing, Karl Hawley, who clearly does not give a monkeys while he continues his journeyman career, barely scoring for another year at Plainmoor before North Ferriby United or somewhere similar come knocking.

This is Knill's team. Whether it has the likes of Ben Harding, Callum Ball, Azeez, Paul McCallum, Karl Hawley, Benyon, Bodin, Cameron, Chapell, Nicholson or Cruise, Rice or Poke, Marquis or Stockley, whether the team is beset by injuries or at full strength, whatever formation, whoever is selected, it is the same. It is Knill's team and it reflects the ineptitude of his management. Like the Pop Side sang so clearly - he doesn't know what he is doing. He does not inspire confidence that he can or knows how to, change what is happening and he needs to go. My only fear, is that the fact that the club have left it until January, is that it is now too late for a new manager. Even if funds were available, can we really trust Knill to bring in decent players on what he has done so far? Even if he brings in, what some consider good players, he seems incapable of getting them to play well. Just go Knill!
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

Seconded

:-D

Ferrets actually make great pets unless you plan to flush out rabbits with them in which case you're a prick. :)
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Oil Beef Hooked
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by Oil Beef Hooked »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: nowt wrong wi' a whippet me old cock.

or a ferret.
Ha ha ha

Sorry Supes me old mucker - I think Tisdale tried to pull off the Last of the Summer Wine look today, but epically failed. :clap:
Steve

:scarf: YELLOW ARMY :scarf:
nickfrench82
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Ummmmmm

Post by nickfrench82 »

He cannot legislate for individual errors, but having been on top all first half(even after we conceded) and then came out for the 2nd half and it felt like a different team with no desire or drive, so what was said at half time(a question I have asked on numerous occasions this season). Downes has gone from POTY to a liability in just a few months. O'Connor has too much confidence in his own ability, but has been an improvement on what we had earlier in the year when Pearce was playing.

Hawley should never have started the game today, he's been lazy, immobile and low on morale for months. The only time he was in the penalty area on the end of something, he missed 2 great chances(penalty and Bodin's cut back) and scored a goal. Benyon may frustrate, and he may not have the physical presence, but damn he works hard and creates chances for himself and others. Hawley's confidence has been terrible, yet he took the ball for the penalty? Stupid.

How people can say the tactics were spot on is beyond me. We set up in the right formation, but with the wrong personnel. 2 months ago, Knill said the reason Craig wasn't playing was because he couldn't play in a 2 in the centre of the park, only as part of a 3, and now we are playing with 3, yet he won't play the only player we have who is creative and can pick a pass.

We are in a mess, a couple of wins won't paper over the cracks(just ask the fans who have paid thousands to follow Alastair Cook and co around Australia). I was thinking about Plymouth before today, but there's no way I can justify paying the money it costs to watch something which destroys my soul for days.