TUST

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

PMed you Tomo
Webber
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eric Webber

Post by Webber »

TUST's monthly newsletter, which is emailed to all members, includes a financial report detailing how much is in each of the trust's accounts (including Future Gulls). This indicates that monies continued to be accrued whilst the trust was relatively inactive. This would have helped in the revival of the trust.

It's not as if the trust folded. It always continued. For example much good work carried on through the Future Gulls.

The answer to the question about Wrexham is that trust-owned clubs are run, on a daily basis, by directors and employees. The decision to sack Kevin Wilkin would almost certainly have been made by the board possibly in conjunction with a salaried chief executive (or similar figure). The salaried executive would have been appointed by the board, some (or all) of whom may have been nominated or elected by the trust.

Trust members vote at AGMs and, where appropriate, extraordinary meetings. At these meetings they would usually be allowed to submit items for the agenda.

This might not sound as glamorous and exciting as some people may think. Yet it's a far more democratic process than at other clubs. The idea of the members deciding every matter would gum up the works. You could easily say the same about electors and councils; shareholders and companies and so on.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Thanks Webber for very comprehensive reply and also to Russian Gull for pm - very helpful. I will get myself signed up !
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

tomogull wrote:Thanks Webber for very comprehensive reply and also to Russian Gull for pm - very helpful. I will get myself signed up !
Without local and Torbay Based support the TUST won't succeed. I'm from Wigan and a TUST member and will support the club whatever , despite no connections to Torquay. I find it personally paying £2 a month a j
Lucy
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

tomogull wrote:Thanks Webber for very comprehensive reply and also to Russian Gull for pm - very helpful. I will get myself signed up !
Without local and Torbay Based support the TUST won't succeed. I'm from Wigan and a TUST member and will support the club whatever , despite no connections to Torquay. I find it personally paying £2 a month a joke, it should be at least a tenner. But if locals arnt prepared to support there local team we as a group have no chance.
Lucy
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

lucy6lucy wrote: Without local and Torbay Based support the TUST won't succeed. I'm from Wigan and a TUST member and will support the club whatever , despite no connections to Torquay. I find it personally paying £2 a month a joke, it should be at least a tenner. But if locals arnt prepared to support there local team we as a group have no chance.
It is possible to pay more if someone wants to. One straightforward example would be to add £5 per month and be part of TUST's monthly lottery. http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/Lott ... ister.aspx
There's been a couple of £250 winners to date across the various TUFC forums.
zoomed
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by zoomed »

Hi tomogull... apologies if this has already been answered.

When I took on the Trust in November 2014 I made the decision to try to be as transparent as possible... especially relating to our financial status. So I publish the latest balance from the statements received from the bank (usually a couple of weeks behind) so all members can see every month how much comes n and how much goes out although I don't publish the details of every transaction. Because we are a legal entity we are subject to the FCA and have to produced annual accounts that are independently audited before being submitted to the FCA.

I cannot comment on what monies were raised and how they were spent before my time but from day one I have publicly (and in person to the club) stated that any money raised by the Trust will only be used to acquire a financial stake in the club. Of course that has taken on a slightly different meaning lately... but the principal is the same... any money being spent is in pursuit of our ambition to achieve a financial stake in TUFC (in whatever form we can).

Please be assured that we operate our finances inline with the FCA.

In relation to the Wrexham question I hold my hands up and admit I don't know the full answer... except that a community owned club is a democracy and whilst the day to day running of the club is left to those best suited to do the job they still have to report to the owners - in the case of TUFC that would be YOU - for big/strategic decisions. The board is democratically voted in to place to represent the views of members... but it is worth remembering that there are rules in place to control elected members and if necessary vote them out.

Michael
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

In reply to Tomogull's question on finances, and I hope with Michael's agreement, can I reassure all prospective and existing TUST members?

Firstly, each year a full set of financial accounts has been produced.

Secondly, all annual accounts for TUST have been properly deposited with the Government Financial Regulator in accordance with the relevant regulations and timescales!

Thirdly, there has been continuity over the years insofar as proper financial processes being carried out.

Fourthly, all funds used have been either for reasonable admin. costs or for projects which had tangible outcomes.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I see the TUST operating in a similar way to a School Governing Body. Governors are appointed for the skills they bring to the role, with some of that group being elected. It may be that in a TUST-run TUFC, all the directors/governors are elected. However, in a school the governors do not vote on every single aspect of school life - they delegate that to someone they appoint, namely a Headteacher.

In the same way, a TUST run club would, I think I am right in thinking, elect a board, who in turn may delegate day-to-day control to a Chief Exec/General manager. But ultimately, they are responsible to a TUST-run board, elected by members of TUST. If members do not like what has been happening, then they can vote others onto the board or stand themselves.

But being a fan-owned club doesn't mean we get to pick the team or sack the manager, but it means we get to ultimately choose the people who make those decisions.
Webber
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Eric Webber

Post by Webber »

Tomogull, happy to answer the enquiry and pleased to learn you are re-joining TUST. I also carried on paying by direct debit. I suspect our payments allowed the revived trust to draw upon a reasonable nest egg.

Now, thanks to fresh members, TUST is able to commission the services of Supporters Direct in investigating whether a bid for Torquay United may be feasible.

I paid money to TUST for years without getting remotely involved. I've only recently started helping and have got to say the officials are a decent, committed and approachable bunch.

We need all sorts of helpers. Priorities at present include those with a knowledge of legal matters, social media or web development.

If you can help, drop us a line: [email protected].

Hector makes a sound point when he sees TUST operating in a similar way to a school governing body.

You can make other comparisons. At Wednesday's meeting Robin Causley of TUST - who works as a funding adviser for Torbay Community Development Trust - spoke of successful community-based organisations in the area. Examples include Rowcroft Hospice and Torbay Hospital League of Friends.

Nobody would suggest Torquay United is as worthy - or deserving - as these two charities. But parallels can be drawn relating to the importance of community values, fundraising, professional standards, employment of salaried staff and use of volunteers.

On another scale, the principles behind a "community football club" are not unlike those of the many community-owned village shops and pubs which have been set up in recent years.

Gullscorer, on another thread, talks about selling lottery tickets throughout the area.

At the moment TUST's lottery funds the work of the supporters' trust and Future Gulls. It was a bold move to get TUST moving again. Making it an online venture means it is time- and cost-effective.

If TUST becomes owner or part-owner of Torquay United it will be raising funds on behalf of the club. That will be an entirely different matter. At that stage a community-owned club would be after all the ideas and suggestions imaginable.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

I think the club will have to go to the wall before there is any impetus with regards to a Tust funded TUFC. Kelvin Thomas has been rather quiet of late and therefore without any news of a potential investor/buyer we are ever closer to this scenario.

Thea's funding cut off date was the end of June 2015? I guess something concrete needs to have happened a few weeks before this date? If we have not heard any news by the end of May we would be most definitely in the mire.

The last public Tust figure was 202 however I am sure that there would have been a few added to this figure due to Tust publicity. If I knew how to ,I would have created a Poll on this website in order to gauge the future appetite/ club conditions for joining the Tust.

I see no reason to join the Tust until I am given the rallying call, perhaps others feel similar? I joined during the Roberts debacle but did not feel the need to keep paying my monthly subscription due to the lack of openness from the board.

My question would be:
Would you be prepared to join the TUST for £2 a month or more, if a suitable investor is not found . Y/N

Personally I would give more than £2 a month for as long as I was able or until the wife found out! ;-)
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Surely the point is support YOUR club NOW before it's too late.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

nickbrod wrote:Surely the point is support YOUR club NOW before it's too late.
I will not join now as I have lost confidence in the board being able to move our club forward.
In recent years the Bristow family have reportedly spent nigh on £3,000,000. In this period we have gone from a League 2 playoff team to a below par Conference side. Admittedly we have a nice new stand however the "on the pitch entertainment" is at an all time low. With Sturrock gone life does not get any easier.

TUFC fans have historically supported the 1st team squad however we are now being asked to support a community based club. I guess my money would be used for various activities other than the 1st team?
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

So if the TUST somehow got a foothold in the club then would they run the club symbiotically alongside the current board or are they looking at a complete takeover? Forgive me as I don't know the full facts of how it works.

If the situation is the former then I can understand why many, like Kevgull, are holding back from joining. A sort of dual run club is fine in principle but allowing the current board to continue in this way as though the past few years hasn't happened is pretty disturbing. The fact that they will have members of the TUST to discuss matters with makes no odds, they belong in a circus and shouldn't be allowed anywhere near the club IMO.

I believe that short term such a scenario would be ok if only to get the TUST onto a better footing, get more members, a higher profile and crucially more finance. This must be with a view to taking total control of the club in the near future. The good thing about this is that TUFC will eventually find itself on a sound, secure footing with all those involved in the Trust pulling in the same direction and making decisions that benefit the club and not individuals. The bad thing is that whilst waiting for the TUST to gather momentum and get themselves in a position to do this, the club will still be having decisions made on it's behalf by the current board. Some of the board members have already departed and rightly so, i'm unsure whether they made any public apologies for screwing up but at least it's a few more that can't do any more damage. Anyway, like I said, in the meantime you are left with still no investment (anyone who thinks that this is forthcoming I salute your optimism) , the current board trying to operate on an absolute shoestring whilst happily allowing CH to further decimate the remaining fanbase.

CH being allowed to continue next season sees you in a certain relegation battle. Each year TUFC fans have been saying, "well it can't possibly get any worse than this" and it actually does. Nothing is impossible and Torquay getting relegated next season may only be avoided because there happen to be half an entire league of rubbish football teams in the Conference and therefore by default Torquay can still be as bad as York and still stay up. CH will take you as near as damn it to non league oblivion without even trying.

So the negative is that for a good few years yet you will have to still pay through the nose to watch disinterested, unmotivated, overweight footballers managed by CH flirt with relegation and get mullered by postmen now and again but if you can see the bigger picture then join the trust, ride the storm for the next few years and get your club back from the dead and start again.

Or don't join the Trust and keep paying your ticket money, keep your head in the sand, watch the same old cack, post the same old moans and gradually watch Tufc sink into extinction.

I have the utmost sympathy for those bitten before in the sense that some of you have already been paying a subscription for years and they have continued to take your money but offered you zero acknowledgment, gratitude or information. This type of ignorance across the whole running of the club was one of my big annoyances. THIS IS A NEW VENTURE. Forget the old and in with in the new. Join, hold the trust to account if you aren't happy with lack of communication or whatever and if you still aren't happy then **** them off. No harm done. You've offered your help and they've taken advantage. It's your prerogative. In no way am I saying that this will happen. The TUST sound like they wish to engage, communicate and wish to rescue the club. It all sounds positive.

Torquay get 2000 or under hard core at home so how come only 200 TUST members? If YOU don't engage then the club goes to the dogs. If you don't want a club to go and watch then you need do nothing.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

kevgull wrote: I will not join now as I have lost confidence in the board being able to move our club forward.
I fail to see how this has any relevance to you joining TUST? If you join now you have a say in the bidding process. No money will go to the existing board. The existing board has nothing to do with TUST. Having lost confidence in the current board is the MAIN REASON I and others have joined. I do not trust them to take on Theas shareholding and run the club, I would rather it went to US.

If TUST take on Theas shareholding they will be the majority shareholding and elect members to the board to reflect that. As the majority shareholder TUST will be able to shape how the club is run.