Our Club

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

ferrarilover wrote:You, as well as everyone else, know who I am
You might want to reign your ego in a bit Matt. :na:
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

What did I say about bickering between posters earlier in this thread??
FFS grow up or stop posting your endless point scoring and leave the forum to people who act like adults, stick with Facebook, Twitter etc with the kiddies!!
Anybody from other clubs reading this forum would only have it confirmed what a joke we have become.
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

Nicho and the board are doing what they need to do, Scrapping the Rusted parts that shouldn't be there, and replacing them with 2nd hand reconditioned parts that should hopefully be fit for purpose, until they have the compete product. Unfortunatly in football terms, to do this you have to wait for a transfere window. With everyone getting on there backs, telling them there scrapping the wrong parts, getting everything wrong... It's just adding extra unnecessary pressure, making the task twice as hard.
For this club to beat the drop, we all have to do our bit, including being supportive of the board in whatever decisions they have to make, I have faith in them!
To the dotted line, We're on our way
Jack
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: John Rudge

Post by Jack »

There are so many posts flying around at the moment with a lot of overlaps between topics so I choose this one because it is what we all care about.
I couldn't really explain to anyone what happened at our club from early 2015 until Kevin Nicholson's appointment. As the saying goes "You couldn't make it up"
What I do know is that he has got rid of 9 which included the walking wounded, the no hopers and only three first team squad players in Hurst, Fisher and Marsh. He has so far brought in eight first team squad players including himself so currently we have more quality but we are still short on numbers.
We got a small fee for Hurst who will probably be washed up as a footballer by the time he is in his mid twenties because his lifestyle will have overtaken his fitness. We also got money for Marsh and I hope he has got some warm clothing for sitting on the bench at Dover.
The website story about Shepherd Murombedzi probably backfired on the Club. We were probably trying to boost his confidence by giving him a bit of a gee up that he took too literally and thought that he was the finished article. I saw him against Gateshead and all that I can remember were the luminous boots that were er.......vile.
Finally a word to the many prophets of doom who have come out of the shadows after we lost to Gateshead who are on a good run at the moment - don't write us off yet, there is still a long way to go.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

eddyh wrote:Matt. It wasn't a threat and I have no desire to spend any time in your company. Your jokes if that what you call them are just not funny but what I find more amusing is your denial of the mess that the club is in. Talk of better things to come is just fanciful. There is zero evidence that we have any chance of signing a promotion worthy team as that is what is now needed. Look at the table. The club appointed a joke manager when it had one chance to put a decen ( or even a rank average) one in charge. We are paying the price for that and will continue to do so. From the day this bunch allowed themselves to be duped by Dean Edwards it's steadily got worse. How anyone can't see that is beyond me. Just how bad does it have to get?
No one denies that the club is in a mess. A small handful of us accept that we might, if Lady Luck decides to smile upon us, be a long way out of that mess by the end of the season.

Your blaming of this Board for the problems of today shows an appalling lack of understanding or knowledge about the Board of yesterday. They've not been perfect, this new lot, but by Christ Almighty haven't they just been an improvement.

I don't think we'll stay up. Another poster (forgive me for not recalling which) has said it perfectly: winning when you're shit makes you Champions (see Cheltenham for proof). Losing when you're good makes you relegated (see Gateshead, FGR away, Chelts away etc).
What we needn't do is confuse our relegation worries with the actions of the present Board.

Let's have it this way: if I stab Bob in the neck then hand the knife to you, whose fault is it if Bob bleeds to death?

As to Nico, well that's not really his fault. Cox is a ball-breaker. He runs you 'til you're sick, then he runs you some more. Step out of line, don't get paid. He signed a squad accordingly. Young ruffians who need the Borstal treatment. Cox then wandered off, perhaps having reneged on the deal he had with us, perhaps not. I've not asked and I don't want to know.
The man brought in has identified those with whom his style is incompatible and has moved to set those players aside. Coupled with generous backing from the Board (in stark contrast to the chosen method of the previous lot) he has succeeded in signing quality replacements for the most part (forget the SDL boys, we were out of the window and needed bench fillers for zero outlay) and is working on more.

The other thing we should consider is our injury list. Our success in a season relies a little bit on luck (like everyone at our financial level). What we don't need is our two marquee players not setting foot on the pitch. Add Young and Fairhurst into the side and, while not pushing for promotion, we're certainly not in the drop zone.

We don't need promotion form for the rest of the season. We need title winning form for 6 games, then poor to average form for the remainder. I'm not belittling the feat, but winning 6 straight games is a long way from impossible. Do that (as Southport did) and we'll be midtable, tasked with cruising to the end of the season. Have a look at our six games in February. They are eminently winnable. We probably won't do it, I've said as much, but it's certainly not a foregone conclusion.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Ferrarilover is right; I also agree with Southampton Gull, DJGull, Jack, Lucy6Lucy, etc., who are also all absolutely right. Why? We support the Gulls. Those who understand will need no explanation; those who need an explanation will never understand.. :)
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

Gullscorer wrote:Ferrarilover is right; I also agree with Southampton Gull, DJGull, Jack, Lucy6Lucy, etc., who are also all absolutely right. Why? We support the Gulls. Those who understand will need no explanation; those who need an explanation will never understand.. :)
Touché :goodpost:
To the dotted line, We're on our way
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

eddyh wrote:Matt. It wasn't a threat and I have no desire to spend any time in your company. Your jokes if that what you call them are just not funny but what I find more amusing is your denial of the mess that the club is in. Talk of better things to come is just fanciful. There is zero evidence that we have any chance of signing a promotion worthy team as that is what is now needed. Look at the table. The club appointed a joke manager when it had one chance to put a decen ( or even a rank average) one in charge. We are paying the price for that and will continue to do so. From the day this bunch allowed themselves to be duped by Dean Edwards it's steadily got worse. How anyone can't see that is beyond me. Just how bad does it have to get?

Matt has been saying the same thing since Alan Knill signed the world beater, Damien Mozika. He is blinkered, cannot seem to accept that the club and team deserve everything they get but I guess he is a loyal fan who deserves a bit of hope and who are we to dash it?

I personally think that the those supporters turning up every week, throwing their good money after bad, thinking that Nico is going to turn it around are actually making things worse. Their terrace fodder that the club relies on and takes for granted, obediently accepting of the same old rubbish, clinging to empty belief that things are going to get better.

Do those people still throwing money into a player fund not feel conned when the squad is actually weaker than when the fund was launched? We don't even have a proper manager? How has this player fund improved things? It's not made a blind bit of difference and on the surface things are even worse.

Probably the worst thing that happened was the win over FGR. It tricked people into thinking we had turn a corner, that we were about to embark on a run to salvage the season. We are not, and the longer we will let the current set-up continue, the sooner relegation will be confirmed.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Hector, if you think supporting the club is making things worse, what makes you think that criticising the club and fellow supporters, as you are doing, will actually make things better? :(
Mattpuma
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Situation Vacant

Post by Mattpuma »

Gullscorer, I have been going to Plainmoor for 30 years and in that time I have missed 5 home league games due to illness and work commitments. I will continue to go and support the team at every game. I have not booed or shouted abuse at anyone.
For you to tell me that I am not allowed to question things happening at our club is simply wrong. This is a forum for discussing TUFC. No one is questioning the integrity and effort of those in charge but the facts are that we are in serious trouble of tumbling into a League well below our standards where full time football will most likely be unsustainable.
So I am sorry for being worried about the clubs future but I have just as much right to my concerns as you do to your 100% optimism. Where I do agree with you is that boycotting games will serve no purpose other than to further undermine the future of TUFC.
Tust member 191
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Blimey missing 5 games in 30 years is impressive and breathtakingly so. I doff my cap to you sir.

The laughable thing about all this is that some misguided fools seem to still think that Nicholson and the board are doing a good job. Obviously its a forum and people have differing views but I genuinely think that some people will still be saying the same next year when are third from bottoim of the Conference South and getting beaten by the likes of Truro.

So Nicholson is building a team for next year. Well when we are relegated do you think that the likes of Ajala, Butler, Blissett and co will be remaining here to get us promoted next season?

That just ain't going to happen - they will all be gone quicker than Marsh could get out of the door. We will be left with the likes of Finch, Corduroy, Will Hancox, Gerring and every other loser who is unable to play football.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Gullscorer wrote:Hector, if you think supporting the club is making things worse, what makes you think that criticising the club and fellow supporters, as you are doing, will actually make things better?
Mattpuma wrote:Gullscorer, I have been going to Plainmoor for 30 years and in that time I have missed 5 home league games due to illness and work commitments. I will continue to go and support the team at every game. I have not booed or shouted abuse at anyone.
For you to tell me that I am not allowed to question things happening at our club is simply wrong. This is a forum for discussing TUFC. No one is questioning the integrity and effort of those in charge but the facts are that we are in serious trouble of tumbling into a League well below our standards where full time football will most likely be unsustainable.
So I am sorry for being worried about the clubs future but I have just as much right to my concerns as you do to your 100% optimism. Where I do agree with you is that boycotting games will serve no purpose other than to further undermine the future of TUFC.
Mattpuma, where have I said you're not allowed to question things? As you say, this is a forum for discussion, and I merely asked a legitimate question. I respect your (and others') opinions, but surely the way in which one criticises is an important consideration, and if we call ourselves supporters surely it's better to put forward constructive suggestions rather than (as some do) constant negativity? We may not achieve high levels of debate, but surely it's better to contribute reasoned arguments rather than suggesting, as a few do, that those with whom one disagrees are fools?
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

To be fair there are plenty of coherent and well made points coming from both sides. BUT those that feel mistskes have been made in the appointment of manager and fear for our long term safety make more of them if anything; as the optimists often resort to the "well you're not a real supporter stop being negative" argument.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I caught the pre match interview with Nicholson. He actually said that he wanted to win the FA Trophy and play at Wembley. I mean seriously - what with nine players?

No idea how todays game went although I understand that Nicholson brought on Chaney and err subbed Chaney. Now is not the time to panic though as it appears that February is the crucial month.

Clearly the win against Forest Green has given the lads renewed confidence as since then we have managed the fine total of NOUGHT points from TWELVE. Just the sort of form you need when you have to make up points at the bottom of the league.

No doubt someone will tell me what Nicholsons points total is since he has been manager but it must be **** abyssmal that's for sure.

If that's not bad enough having shipped out a whole football team we now seem to have LESS players than when the transfer window opened - I mean that is some achievement in itself.

Clearly Nicholson is by some way the WORST manager we have ever had. He is a clown, a bullshitting buffoon, who talks more claptrap by the day. As for Phillips well he must rank as the WORST chairman we have ever had because he appointed Nicholson in the first place when everyone with an IQ exceeding that of an amoeba was saying what a dire decision that would be.
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

I personally think we should separate the board from the performances on the park, the board are making many decisions for the short, medium and long term success of the club and I personally think they have been professional and measured in what they have achieved in a short period of time.

I accept the board appointed Kevin and it was based on his interview and potential to be a good manager, Kevin's philosophy of approach is professional and plausible, he's also a really nice guy and comes across as a positive, confident individual.

It was the boards first managerial decision in their capacity and I am not sure if they set any critical success factors for Kevin, if these relate to some of his decisions and outcomes on players and situations due to financial or other reasons then he may be doing a good job.

If the success factors were to attain a level of points to keep Torquay in the league, then he's doing a bad job.

If Kevin is calling the shots and the board as they should are supporting him, then they have some very difficult decisions ahead, Kevin is also not naïve, with the role comes much responsibility and expectation, I still wish him much success as he is a nice guy.