Torquay United Top 100 Matches

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: colin bettany

Post by samuel »

Plymouth Gull, I'm not knocking your scheme and indeed it is a good read as was the top 100 players and is welcome relief from the usual fare served up. I take Enzo's point that games that are memorable differ hugely. I bet the 15 year old Torquay United boy who was caught having consensual sex under the mini stand with a 15 year old Swansea girl in October 1976 thinks that game was memorable for all sorts of reasons but nothing to do with football. We beat Swansea 2-1 that day.
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

I miss the derbies with Exeter, the matches at Plainmoor always felt like the one occasion every year that the town actually played attention to the football club. The rivalry with Plymouth was never much of one because of their greater stature and the rare occasions when we were in the same league but Exeter actually was a rivalry, one we won as much as the Greeks did and one of the few occasions when Torbay could actually compete with Exeter as a town. I'll always remember the Conference Play Off Semi 2nd leg, such a great atmosphere, especially during that brief period we were 3-1 up before conspiring to somehow lose - not that those Exeter goals weren't coming.

Now we're going to be lucky if we don't end up as a feeder team for Exeter's youth system in five years time..
Last edited by SenorDingDong on 15 Feb 2016, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

samuel wrote:Plymouth Gull, I'm not knocking your scheme and indeed it is a good read as was the top 100 players and is welcome relief from the usual fare served up. I take Enzo's point that games that are memorable differ hugely. I bet the 15 year old Torquay United boy who was caught having consensual sex under the mini stand with a 15 year old Swansea girl in October 1976 thinks that game was memorable for all sorts of reasons but nothing to do with football. We beat Swansea 2-1 that day.
Ah - the good ol' days before crowd segregation! Now we'll all be on the lookout for the Forum poster who has the Torquay/Swansea October 1976 game as one of his top ten matches ........ :whistle:
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

Ha, fortunately nobody voted for that match so I can't help you Tomogull! I understand what you're saying samuel, and I'm just wading my way through the lower end of the list - there was bound to be some obscure ones for various reasons. All of the matches so far are ones that featured on one list only so they may not be the memorable games others were anticipating. I can assure you the list begins to take shape soon and the top 50 should hopefully begin to create some more discussion in here.

------

JOINT 101st: Hull City 0 - 1 Torquay United - 2003/04

2 points, 1 vote

Division 3
Saturday 21st February 2004
KC Stadium
Attendance: 15,222

Torquay:
Kevin Dearden, Lee Canoville, Steve Woods, Craig Taylor, Brian McGlinchey, Matt Hockley, Alex Russell, Jason Fowler, Kevin Hill, Jo Kuffour, David Graham. Subs: Arjan van Heusden, David Woozley, Reuben Hazell, Tony Bedeau, Martin Gritton.

Torquay scorer: Martin Gritton

----

Another victory from the successful 2003/04 campaign is next up, and this was a superb result for United. Hull were the biggest club in the division this season, regularly hitting five-figure attendances as they enjoyed a successful campaign. United were sat around the playoff places at the point of this game, yet we went up to the North East and returned with a fantastic 3 points. A Martin Gritton goal on the stroke of half time was the only goal of the match, which did push United into the playoff places.

It ended up being a successful season for both sides as we finished just behind Hull in the top three, ensuring the sides would meet again in League One.
NorfolkGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Nicky Wroe

Post by NorfolkGull »

I'm glad this result made it onto the list. I think I was mascot for this game and whilst kicking around during the warm up, Martin Gritton hit a stray pass which hit me in the back of the head and knocked me over. He redeemed himself by scoring the winner though!
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by samuel »

Damn, shame no one voted for that match. Keep up the good work Plymouthgull. By the way, the 15 year old lad got off lightly and the girl was cautioned for handling swollen goods. It was a true incident though despite my joking about it.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

I am so glad that Hull match made it on to the list. It isnt one of mine as I wasnt there but it was a hugely significant result, I was listening to it at work and was well impressed with what I was hearing. When we won all I could think of was how we had then really made ourselves proper promotion contenders. The rest is a wonderful part of our history.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Re the Swansea match, I assume that if they were caught after completion of the act, there might now be an additional fan of either Swansea or Torquay who would have good reason to have voted for that game.
samuel
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by samuel »

Gateman, I think it was a case of coitus interuptus. Difficult to keep going I suppose when you get a policeman saying 'Whats going on 'ere then'. Do you remember the open back to the mini stand where they kept cones, barriers and all sorts of stuff. It was in there.
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Wouldn't the policeman have said "What's up?"

Barriers? Did they use one of those as a prophylactic?

Brings a whole new meaning to how many stands there are (or were) at Plainmoor
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

chunkygull wrote:I am so glad that Hull match made it on to the list. It isnt one of mine as I wasnt there but it was a hugely significant result, I was listening to it at work and was well impressed with what I was hearing. When we won all I could think of was how we had then really made ourselves proper promotion contenders. The rest is a wonderful part of our history.
This one is down to me I'm afraid. There were probably only 150 Gulls fans to witness it and I may be looking back with rose tinted specs, but as far as I recall, this was the most complete away performance I have witnessed in 34 years of following the Gulls. Kuffour ran riot for half an hour before going off injured. David Graham missed at least three sitters and we should have been 4 up at half time. So often we fall away and end up plucky losers in these circumstances, but on that occasion the defence were also outstanding. This was up there with the 2-1 league wins at Wolves and Bolton under Cyril in 87 / 88 and the 3 -1 win at Cheltenham in the penultimate week of the 03/04 season. The Hull fans are generally not the most gracious in defeat, but many were congratulating us Gulls on the way out. A superb all round performance against one of a main promotion rivals.
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Enzo wrote: This one is down to me I'm afraid. There were probably only 150 Gulls fans to witness it and I may be looking back with rose tinted specs, but as far as I recall, this was the most complete away performance I have witnessed in 34 years of following the Gulls. Kuffour ran riot for half an hour before going off injured. David Graham missed at least three sitters and we should have been 4 up at half time. So often we fall away and end up plucky losers in these circumstances, but on that occasion the defence were also outstanding. This was up there with the 2-1 league wins at Wolves and Bolton under Cyril in 87 / 88 and the 3 -1 win at Cheltenham in the penultimate week of the 03/04 season. The Hull fans are generally not the most gracious in defeat, but many were congratulating us Gulls on the way out. A superb all round performance against one of a main promotion rivals.
We were great that day and a wonderful finish from the yellow goal machine himself. Rightly in the top 100 and probably in my top 10.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Enzo wrote: This one is down to me I'm afraid. There were probably only 150 Gulls fans to witness it and I may be looking back with rose tinted specs, but as far as I recall, this was the most complete away performance I have witnessed in 34 years of following the Gulls. Kuffour ran riot for half an hour before going off injured. David Graham missed at least three sitters and we should have been 4 up at half time. So often we fall away and end up plucky losers in these circumstances, but on that occasion the defence were also outstanding. This was up there with the 2-1 league wins at Wolves and Bolton under Cyril in 87 / 88 and the 3 -1 win at Cheltenham in the penultimate week of the 03/04 season. The Hull fans are generally not the most gracious in defeat, but many were congratulating us Gulls on the way out. A superb all round performance against one of a main promotion rivals.

:O Bloody hell, there's a name from the past. Where have you been?

Nice to see you back.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

I think it may have been the fixture in 2004/05 when away at Hull, but I forever expect that Hull match to appear on a Question of Sport because halfway through the second half, I think, someone - Leon Constantine, maybe? with a stray shot broke the corner flag, it took a good 5 minutes for a spare to be located, and when it arrived it didn't fit in the hole of it's predecessor!
Enzo
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by Enzo »

Southampton Gull wrote:
:O Bloody hell, there's a name from the past. Where have you been?

Nice to see you back.
Ha! Thanks. I have always been around - just lurking nowadays. My posting days are behind me, but I couldn't resist PG's poll!