Chester v Torquay United, 3pm, Good Friday, 30/3/18

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Jackie Gallagher

Post by Teigngull »

Well done Yorkieandy,
101% to the REAL cause
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

westyorkshiregull wrote: 30 Mar 2018, 23:16 The players did
That matters to me, and I hope they got rapturous applause, I'm sure they did
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

I don't think it was a blockbuster display but you wouldnt we were relegation fodder.

We did well make no mistake

Win Monday and I think depending on other results the whole mindset could change.
Minneapolisgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Jo Kuffour

Post by Minneapolisgull »

Just got home from work and went straight to the last pages of the game assumed the worst when read the last few entries about Owers not applauding the fans... But then look again OMG we won.... Survival hope alive for another few days at least.... Come on everybody we won away 2-0, It is still a long shot but you just never know........... I am sure if we survive by winning on the last day of the seasons Mr Owers will come give everyone in the ground a sloppy wet kiss........
If Mondays game is on and we win..... can we???
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Has anyone ever considered that at the final whistle the manager is deep in thought and concentration; observing his players and beginning to form his thoughts with the next game in mind?

A manager is not a cheer leader; he is head coach, club manager and employed to produce exactly what he did yesterday.

I have seen Owers acknowledge the travelling support when I have been at matches but in a manner that is understated and leaves the limelight to his players. Can we not just leave him to do as he wishes and allow him to get on with the very real job of preparing and planning for the next match?

Having spoken to him after the Dagenham and then (at length) Orient away matches; he is very appreciative of the travelling support and the support at home which he described as remarkably tolerant and inspirational. The man played for Sunderland where such inspirational support can turn to concerted abuse and derision if you don't produce the goods.

Enjoy your moments in the sun with the celebrating players by all means, but don't castigate a man for keeping his to own understated way of doing things....there's far more at stake than a bit of show boating.

I've always thought 'if you need to be thanked for doing something for goodness sake don't do it because as sure as hell you're going to be disappointed' ~ and I think those who make an issue of this should consider thinking that way. You've had your day out; you've had your win so enjoy it and leave it at that.
Teigngull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Teigngull »

I'm sure you've read my thoughts on the matter Merseyside.
We're singing from the same hymn sheet on this one.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Yep well ive changed my stance and it was only mentioned in part of a summary of my initial thoughts after getting home from the match.
I wouldn't have made a thread about it !!

Good performance , a good win and now we must put all the energy into supporting the club on Monday. I won't be there but my dad is going and we will need all the support we can get for it.
If the game is on anyhow , hoping for 2500 at least. It's a massive game and win that and with a little fortune else where we could be just another win after that from touching distance.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Was working yesterday, as I will be Monday, so no chance of following the game, but a fantastic result, keeps the team in the hunt, another win Monday, should the game beat the weather which is looking doubtful at the moment, and who knows, still looks very unlikely, but the greatest escape of all could be on (I know, it's the hope that kills)

On to the subject of Ower's not clapping the fan's, seriously, come on, really ? I'm not even going to start and try and defend his record as our manager, nor am I going to defend his day to day man management record, which appears to be questionable.

However what does anyone expect a manager like Owers who, has been in receipt of some vile dogs abuse on match days, as well as forums and social media to do, come over to fans just because his team won a game, and open himself up to further criticism (it's all about me, me, me) you know it would have happened. It's not about the manager, the players played and won the game, he's right to let them take the applause from the fans, and stay out of the way.

Gary Owers, in numerous interviews has heaped praise on our travelling support, doesn't need to do anything else.
Formerly known as forevertufc
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

forevertufc wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 10:39 However what does anyone expect a manager like Owers who, has been in receipt of some vile dogs abuse on match days......
The restraint and discipline he showed at Solihull Moors was something that all who take him to task over this stupid obsession with being happy clappy shouild have seen up close as I did.......some of the things that were said to him were an embarrassment ~ both for him and the club.

Fans who cannot take disappointment; venting their spleens in front of disbelieving and incredulous home fans more becasue they cannot deal with disappointment than any credible or reasoned explanation as to anything that happened during the match that was of his doing.

No too exstatic when you win, not too depressive when you lose seems to be his way; remembering that some of those singing your name one week were the one's castigating you the week before.
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

I also couldn’t give a monkeys whether Owers claps the fans or not. I am just delighted that we won well at a relegation rival, it is more than I expected or hoped for. Whilst listening to the game, I found myself watching the Woking-Macclesfield game on BT Sport and jumping for joy when Macclesfield scored the winner right at the death. I hope the weather forecast continues to improve, it has now moved from extremely crap to quite crap, and that Monday’s game is on. I’ll be there.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

What a ridiculous situation. we win 2-0 and people are carping because Owers didn't clap the fans.

He doesn't deserve the abuse he gets. If he had been here at the start of the season we wouldn't have gone down. Hardly his fault that we didn't win a game for nigh on a quarter of a season.

We desperately need Mondays game on now though and that isn't looking at all likely. Newton Abbott races are off today.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

:clap:

Some good postings on here today
Zippy
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: peter coffill

Post by Zippy »

whats wrong with people, so what if he didn't clap the fans, the guy cant win can he, its gets slatted by the fans one minute then we win and people expect him to be all happy clappy, get a life!
goody2449
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: luke Young

Post by goody2449 »

gullintwoplaces wrote: 31 Mar 2018, 10:50 I also couldn’t give a monkeys whether Owers claps the fans or not. I am just delighted that we won well at a relegation rival, it is more than I expected or hoped for. Whilst listening to the game, I found myself watching the Woking-Macclesfield game on BT Sport and jumping for joy when Macclesfield scored the winner right at the death. I hope the weather forecast continues to improve, it has now moved from extremely crap to quite crap, and that Monday’s game is on. I’ll be there.
:goodpost:
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

Typical of some fans on here.

West Yorkshire simply stated that he would have liked to have seen Owers come over and acknowledge the fans. I didn't see the bit where he was 'slating' Owers so please point this out to me. I also gave my view about managers in general and the moral code around this sort of thing. No slating at all.

Another thread hijacked by people who can't read things through properly.

West Yorks even retracted what he said and the criticism continues. I suggest apologies are in order.