Torquay United v Aldershot Town 24/8/19

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Caldwell and Dobson were all very fine for their era (i.e. when United were struggling along), but they cannot be compared with Stubbs and Northcott (T). The Codgery will agree on this.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

[mention]Caldwellanddobson[/mention]

That made I larf. Apparently just a thug now but I make your assessment spot on 😉
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Southampton Gull. I guess that you approve of players such as Caldwell whose antics on the football pitch could easily end a player's career then.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

Southampton Gull. I was told some very interesting news about your bestist buddy and his plans for a new stadium by a relative who works for torbay Council, on Friday. This news was also confirmed by a Councillor I know who sits on Teignbridge district council. What I was told was very interesting.
higgi1p
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by higgi1p »

dawlishmatt wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 11:57 Southampton Gull. I was told some very interesting news about your bestist buddy and his plans for a new stadium by a relative who works for torbay Council, on Friday. This news was also confirmed by a Councillor I know who sits on Teignbridge district council. What I was told was very interesting.
And are going to share this or just allow supporters to think good or bad news?
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

higgi1p. I guess that because according to many people on this forum, I'm stupid, an idiot and don't know what I'm talking about, anything that I post is irrelevant.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

Ok, for all you wonderful people out there in yellow army land, including you Southampton Gull. In late July and the beginning of August, Clarke Osborne and his representatives looked at at least two pieces of land in the Kingskerswell area, one belonging to Torbay council, the other belonging to Teignbridge District Council. Neither site is Nightingale park and one of my sources can confirm that they were present at one of the viewings, as was uncle Clarke.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

I'll wager with certainty that housing or retail buildings will materialise long before any stadium so no change from me.

Keep doing your research and some might buy into your 'vision'.........
Dave

dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

Southampton Gull, I never said anything about uncle Clarke looking at land for building a new stadium in my last post, I just said that he or his representatives have visited at least two pieces of land in the Kingskerswell area in the last few weeks. May I suggest that you go to specsavers or back to school as you are either part blind or illiterate. Your problem is that you are so determined to attack postings that you don't agree with, that you have already written your reply before actually reading the article. Keep the insults going Dave, the wife and my children and oldest grandchild find it better entertainment than watching the cricket yesterday.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Perhaps you should visit specsavers yourself, I see no insults in my post but several in yours.

Far from attacking you or your post I merely gave my opinion.
Dave

Launceston Gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Launceston Gull »

How does a thread get so off topic. However regarding best strikers I`m in total agreement with wivelgull but dawlishmatt is asking within the last 40 years which rules out our heroes. Sadly for dawlishmatt he wasn`t around to see the best of the best.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by dawlishmatt »

Southampton Gull, I'm sorry but my wife won't let me wear glasses, she says that I would make a spectacle of myself!!!!!!!!!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

dawlishmatt wrote: 25 Aug 2019, 12:49 A few weeks ago I posted an article concerning Jamie Reid and my belief that the National league Premier was a step to far for Reid. In my comments I mentioned that this is his fourth season at the club, the first two seasons he played 77 matches and scored only 9 goals in this league. This season Jamie Reid has scored four goals in 6 games, yesterday I thought it was his best game I have seen him play for the club which included a fantastic goal.
Jamie Reid may go on and score 20+ goals this season and I hope he does, but I think it's a bit early after just 6 matches to say that he is good enough at this level.
For those older supporters, I want to take you back to the late 1980s and a striker that the late Cyril Knowles signed for the club, Carl Aiery. Most supporters who remember Aiery would probably say he was useless and I agree. Despite being rubbish, Aiery jointly holds a club record alongside the great Sammy Collins as scoring in seven consecutive league matches for Torquay United.
When I look at Jamie Reid I think is he scoring goals because he is a good striker or is it because we are such a good attacking unit which creates so many chances that a striker from the South devon league would score. I guess only time will tell.
God you talk some sh1te.
If you not on about how wonderful uncle clarke is you now are rubbishing a player who has improved season by season when played in the correct position.
As for Carl Airey, I've know him a long time and i got a lot of time for him.
Played with him in the Barnsley Boys teams and played against him before he became a pro and then after he finished.
he may share that record, but as a pro and after, he was as easy to mark as a lampost and very easy to kick.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

The truth is Dawlishmatt is nothing but a saddo wind up merchant. He well knew that giving a favourable account of Uncle Clarke would be controversial on here so he went ahead and posted it looking for an argument and the opportunity to have a go at one individual in particular.
Looking for a another easy wind up he decides to pick on the hero of the moment and gets exactly what he wants, ie something to boost his fragile ego. Originally I thought he was a youngster looking for an argument until I deduced his age from his postings. Immaturity might have excused his ravings, but from someone his age it is just pathetic.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

wivelgull wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 10:41 Caldwell and Dobson were all very fine for their era (i.e. when United were struggling along), but they cannot be compared with Stubbs and Northcott (T). The Codgery will agree on this.
I've been meaning to ask you Wivel, when does someone qualify to be a member of the Codgery? I missed out on the sixties, although I was alive then and started watching Torquay in the seventies. I'm still just the right side of sixty. Is the Codgery about age or is it being able to remember Torquay's L'Age d'Or.