29 May 2021. Who will be Top of the National League?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Well we did not have to wait until 29 May to know our fate. Congratulations to Sutton who kept on going and won the Title with a game to spare.

Looking forward we are now assured of 2nd place and play the winner of the teams who finish 5th & 6th ( Sat 5th June) on Saturday 12 June at Plainmoor.

Who will finish 5th & 6th is very hard to tell given next Saturdays fixtures..Bromley 8th play Notts County 5th, Dagenham 12th play Wrexham 6th and Halifax 10th play Chesterfield 7th.

We now have 3 weeks before the Semi Final ( not forgetting our trip to Alty next Sat) to get every player rested fit and tactics spot on.

We have to play better than yesterday although I thought our 2 goals were top class.
DWB
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Alex Russell

Post by DWB »

Congratulations to Sutton, now let’s focus on what we have to do. Win 2 playoff games and we are there. I fancy us,with a fully fit squad,to come out of the playoffs as winners. As has been alluded to in previous posts it is the best way to get promoted. I remember winning 2 nil at wembley and the emotion/atmosphere was unbelievable.
Let’s get behind the team COYY
Oohahh
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Oohahh »

SUFC fan here. Good luck in the playoffs and I mean that most sincerely. Win or lose, it's always my favourite away day.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

All the very best to you. Obviously we don't see you every week but you were impressive today certainly. Enjoy. Hopefully we might still keep you your away day.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Over the season Sutton have proved to be the best so good luck to them.

My thoughts are on what might have been but for the savage disruptions due to injuries. I genuinely believe that we would have romped it if we hadn't lost Hall, Wright, Nemane and Whitfield along with Cameron, Wynter, Moxey and Covolan for such long spells. No team can sustain that.

Let's hope we can get as many as possible back fit before the play offs.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

I totally agree with you Dave. It's very obvious. If we had had Sutton's fitness hand I am sure we would have won it just as we won the National South. I simply despair of people who choose to ignore the obvious in a quest to fuel some private agenda of their own.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Covolan
Wynter, Sherring, Cameron, Moxey
Nemane, Randell, Hall, Whitfield
Wright, CLE.

That team is easily good enough to win this division. No sour grapes though, Sutton won fair and square and best of luck to them.

We also have Liam Davis out for the season and I'm not sure we've seen Little at his best due to injuries so all in all a second place finish is commendable. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing us play so often having barely missed a stream and going forward I'd love to see the club try and do something similar next season. Dave Thomas to have a happy pill before each game though, he's more miserable than Victor Meldrew.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Nice summary.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Southampton Gull wrote: 23 May 2021, 20:09 Covolan
Wright, CLE.

That team is easily good enough to win this division. No sour grapes though, Sutton won fair and square and best of luck to them.

We also have Liam Davis out for the season and I'm not sure we've seen Little at his best due to injuries so all in all a second place finish is commendable. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing us play so often having barely missed a stream and going forward I'd love to see the club try and do something similar next season. Dave Thomas to have a happy pill before each game though, he's more miserable than Victor Meldrew.
Plus Dave, this season we haven't even seen Andrew Nelson! :@
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by happytorq »

Sutton have won the league, fair and square. Can make excuses on our part - a genuinely horrendous injury list at a critical part of the season - but you they have put together a tremendous run towards the end, holding their nerve when other teams have not. We've drawn 3 in a row. Stockport drew 3 in in a row. Sutton have won 4 in a row at just the right time, especially after losing to us and then Notts County.

it's a fantastic achievement given their history, resources, etc. And it's always nice to see a 'new' club get into the Football League (proving once again that the NL is League 3 in everything but name). I don't buy the 'plastic pitch' argument, either. Pretty much every side will train on 3G at various points, and we showed that it's possible to win there.

For our part, we put up a really great fight, especially after the awful stretch we have Jan-March. I maintain that had we kept our side fit, we'd have won the division fairly handily. But ah well, it's a squad game, I suppose.

Everybody concerned can be proud of the effort, and let's not forget, we've finished 2nd in a team with several teams that would describe themselves as 'massive'. (lol). We should have nothing to fear in the playoffs; not lost to Notts County, Wrexham, Chesterfield or Stockport over the course of the season. Of the current playoff sides, we've only lost to one (Hartlepool, at home). Yes, the playoffs are pretty nerve jangling, but we now have 3 weeks in which to prepare for those two big games. Hopefully we can get back one or two (or three!) players we've been missing, and really go for it.

I'm actually...fairly confident. (which, as an TUFC will know, is vaguely terrifying in itself)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.
happytorq
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by happytorq »

Southampton Gull wrote: 23 May 2021, 20:09 Covolan
Wright, CLE.

didn't see that you'd said this before I posted, but yeah. This is a team that would even be very competitive in League 2. Would echo your thoughts on the stream - as an exile being able to watch this season has help me be connected to the club in a way that I've not been able for any of my 15 years of being away. I hope the FA and the league will allow it to continue next season. (I'd probably even pay full ticket price, but maybe don't tell them that!)
Images for Avatar Copyright Historical Football Kits and reproduced by kind permission.

Eam non defectum. Ego potest tractare quod. Est spes occidit me.