Gary Johnson, stick or twist?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.

Do you support GJ?

Poll ended at 17 Jan 2023, 14:06

Yes - keep him
52%
No - get rid
48%

Total votes: 69

Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

DevonBee wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 19:37 Welcome back SG I thought u were in Qatar on a scouting mission to find us a decent midfielder or 3
Never left, far too busy approving posts for new members along with day to day tasks as well as removing half of the posts coming from Dawlish 😉

Viable options would be those wanting to come and work within our budget constraints etc etc. Warnock on a 6 month deal? Great forward planning that is. Nah. I'm in the Stick camp.

Oh and Tisdale without Perryman is like Devon without cream.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Chelston TUFC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by Chelston TUFC »

Southampton Gull wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 20:06 Never left, far too busy approving posts for new members along with day to day tasks as well as removing half of the posts coming from Dawlish 😉

Viable options would be those wanting to come and work within our budget constraints etc etc. Warnock on a 6 month deal? Great forward planning that is. Nah. I'm in the Stick camp.

I doubt Warnock would want it but in terms of long term planning I'd imagine its Gary Johnson equally on a 6 month deal. I dont think the question is if, its when. I cant see Gary Johnson being with us for the next season (unless he needs his ego flattered by trying to get promotion out of NLS) I cant see whats in it for him personally to stay on for 2023/24 so I think he'll go on his own accord or what would be mutual consent. The choices would be to let the guy who has got us into this mess get us out of it or that enough is enough. Either way the club do need to identify its management targets for 2023/24 if they choose to persist with Gary Johnson. Get past Xmas and I doubt any manager would want to take Torquay short term with the potential of adding relegation to their CV.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

We're far from relegated. Plenty of time, it's only November 😉
Dave

North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by North Curry House »

Southampton Gull wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 21:06 We're far from relegated. Plenty of time, it's only November 😉
Not relegated yet but tell me which four other teams which are worse than us.....because I can not name one.
dawlishmatt
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve cooper

Post by dawlishmatt »

Southampton Gull wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 20:06 Never left, far too busy approving posts for new members along with day to day tasks as well as removing half of the posts coming from Dawlish 😉

At least the other half of my brilliant posts slip through the net, speaking of which do the players know exactly where the net on a football pitch actually is?
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

North Curry House wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 21:30 Not relegated yet but tell me which four other teams which are worse than us.....because I can not name one.
It isn't about leading the race it's about winning it. I'll name them when the season finishes.................
Dave

Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

Southampton Gull wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 18:33 I'm still here and still think stick.
Quite amusing seeing some of you disappear when we have a win but until one of you Sherlocks come up with a viable replacement I'm standing behind an experienced manager to add a couple of players to see us ease up the table to safety with a few games to go 😉
I never remember you suggesting 'viable replacements' when you were leading the Harrop and Owers out campaigns on this forum a few years ago.
Taelee73
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rodney jack
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Taelee73 »

Tisdale was successful at a club producing young talent, who were sold on for profit. I just can't see it working here for him, having to scour the bargain bins. Plus he wouldn't want another fail on his CV.
Warnocks retired, why sign on for a stressful 6 months? He was brilliant for us before, but that was a long time ago now.
Who else is there?
yellowarmygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Andy Gurney
Watches from: Pop side

Post by yellowarmygull »

Chelston TUFC wrote: 27 Nov 2022, 19:24 Paul Tisdale, Paul Wotton, Scott Bartlett
I would also put the name of Paul Trollope forward. Back living in the Bay and an experienced player and manager - worth considering!
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Cheddargull wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 10:47 I never remember you suggesting 'viable replacements' when you were leading the Harrop and Owers out campaigns on this forum a few years ago.
Thing about Owers, is that everyone wanted him out........ :}
.......Seeing he was f*cking useless.
A blind man on a galloping horse could see that.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Southampton Gull wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 09:00 It isn't about leading the race it's about winning it. I'll name them when the season finishes.................
It is almost over now! So I take it you can not name any, let alone four.
North Curry House
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

yellowarmygull wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 11:37 .

I would also put the name of Paul Trollope forward. Back living in the Bay and an experienced player and manager - worth considering!
Trollope has just gone to Luton, assistant to Rob Edwards.
Cheddargull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Cheddargull »

SuperNickyWroe wrote: 28 Nov 2022, 12:36
Thing about Owers, is that everyone wanted him out........ :}
.......Seeing he was f*cking useless.
A blind man on a galloping horse could see that.
During Owers time in this division we achieved 1.08 points per game.
So far this season we have achieved 0.71 points per game.
That is how bad things are at present and a lot of people can't see it getting any better. Talk of things getting better with a couple of signings are nonsense, we already have too many loan signings which a sign of how bad the original permanent signings were.
To be honest if you were Osborne would you trust Johnson with anymore money?
culmstockgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by culmstockgull »

As a football club we are anything but normal in that we actively support and encourage a losing formula, we have a chairman and Managing director whose self proclaimed knowledge of football could be written on the back of a postage stamp and still leave room for an address, we have several directors that are totally anonymous other than being wrapped in warm blankets on match days and a management team that would not get their CV's through the door of any football club in the modern age, So why do we continue with this formula, perhaps and realistically because there is no alternative, the one thing you can bet your pension on is that Osborne will have done his sums. Our crowds are down as you would expect even though they are artifically inflated by community freebies, sponsors will be increasingly hard to find, who wants to be associated with a club that is sinking fast.
Can things change, and boy do they need too, any new manager/coach and in this league we do not need two people must be given a realistic time frame to achieve that change, Johnson has proved that he is incapable of modern thinking or even changing his one dimensional playing style, he has shown systematically this season and last that he cannot acquire players sufficently qualified for this league. We are already two wins and a draw away from getting out of the bottom four and thats assuming no one else picks up a single point .
So on this occasion Southampton Gull I disagree with your stick option.
toastkid
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: david graham

Post by toastkid »

Keep with Gary!