Who Are The "Shrinking Violets"?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Who Are The "Shrinking Violets"?

Post by nickbrod »

Johnson in his post match comments after Weston on Tuesday and after yesterday strongly hints at player changes coming with the "shrinking violets" probably those in danger of being dispatched. And with his brother out scouting there are definitely changes afoo
But who are these "shrinking violets", who is he referring to?
Willowgull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Willowgull »

There are a few out on loan which might free up a little of the budget. Although Keating does give his all (can't knock him for that) but, he is nowhere near good enough. He has had too many chances now. He missed 2 sitters yesterday. Scoring just one of those would have put us out of sight. For me, he should be the first.
Williams - looks so off the pace and is still lazy. I don't think GJ fancies him.
So maybe, a new striker?
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

Although Naite scored yesterday I don't think defensively he is up to the required standard. Wynter is definitely not there.
Bristol_Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack
Watches from: Pop side

Post by Bristol_Gull »

I think Williams should be given a chance. I think he would have scored the opportunities that Keating had yesterday. Keating is someone who needs more experience and perhaps ought to be on the loans out list. Whilst Janneh has shown a lot of potential and scored a couple I'm not yet totally sold on his readiness for a full time place in the starting line up.

Aside from Cameron Sendles-White and Davis, I'm not sure who fits the bill at the back from our current crop of Niate, Essuman, Wynter, Sokolik.

We seem to be lacking depth in midfield, the current injuries have revealed some gaps so I think some additional signings to cover would be useful
Lloyder5
Skipper
Skipper

Post by Lloyder5 »

I would have been similarly confident with Williams, but did he not recently miss a sitter from a similar range against Winchester? Overall though he has far more quality. Maybe Clarke Osbourn can fund a secret laboratory under Plainmoor and Gary Johnson, assisted by Shaun Taylor, can create a striker from bits of Willaims and Keating.
TUST number 080
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

For me (reserve keeper aside) Niate was the weak link yesterday. I also think GJ does not rate Wynter. Sokolik may be too much of a walking injury to be bothered with and Essuman also worries me on occasions. Suspect Nabi and Keating may also not be up to the standard GJ sets and it is clear Williams is trusted little by him.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Not suggesting these are the shrinking violets, however if we've got aspirations of finishing top of the league the defensive unit needs a rethink, may conceeded few goals, by and large been getting away with it, keeper, center back pairing and right back for me, think we're a central midfielder and a striker short also.
Formerly known as forevertufc
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I think we are opening a can of worms and should let Johnson deal with the flowers if a player came on this site it would ruin their confidence. McDonald has done great he made a mistake he's got to get over it we all make mistakes and in his position it happens.
The youngsters work hard but gave the ball away under pressure and this should improve as the season progresses. Johnson will talk to the players who need it.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

Well lets look at the squad another way. Who are the players good enough to win automatic promotion if they are all fit.

Bass
----- ---- Cameron Davis
Edwards Andrews Dickson Evans
Reid.

Right back. Wynter and Essuman are not quite good enough, When fit Sendles White would be my pick.

Centre back. Niate was outstanding before he injured his leg.

So in summary for me it is an experienced tall centre back and a target man striker to support Reid.

Lets face it we have been very unlucky with injuries.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I forgot in error to include Asa Hall. Just shows when all players are fit we are not too short.
GJ knows the right two could make all the difference.
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

Well he brought in Sendles-White and put him straight in so obviously sees him as one of the first choice pairing at the back with Cameron you would think,
though Niate and Essuman have done ok
too. GJ has certainly given the players a chance and to be fair we haven't lost yet , but two 2-2 draws from winning positions is not good enough
We are not a team hoping to get in the play offs
we need to get out of this league this season
Think we are lacking a couple more experienced heads with a bit of know how, really Dickson and
Davis were the only two yesterday who you could call that. The rest are youngsters. We are missing Hall badly.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Have always thought we needed a robust No9 who can hold the ball, head the ball, put pressure on oppositio centre halves and of course score goals!
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by desperado »

You mean like Rory Fallon ? Oh sorry ! Another Tim Sills would do though
I expect Gary will have to explain the 'shrinking violets' statement to our two Frenchmen, after the ' wasps at a picnic' episode. They will start thinking he is a sandwich short of a picnic
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

I reckon Keating, MacDonald and Kalala will be three of those that fell short of his expectations from yesterday. MacDonald perhaps showing that at this stage he is a useful back-up rather than a Number 1.

Nabi and Williams likely to also be on his naughty step, I reckon. Interesting to read Wynter had a decent game, as have, like most, considered that area of the pitch as one of our weaknesses.

I am surprised a few think Niate is not up to it, as I would be most pleased if Sendles-White, Cameron and Niate were a fit and available trio.
Wolborough
First Regular
First Regular

Post by Wolborough »

Kalala is a player who will develop I suspect - has to be given time to settle into team. Don’t write him off yet.