Torquay United V Bury 18/3/14

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Torquay United V Bury 18/3/14

Post by lucy6lucy »

The forum is very quiet after the defeat to Cheltenham, hardly surprising as we all hoped for at least a point, that was not delivered. Surely we can't keep saying we must win the next match to have hope of survival as games are running out. Bury on Tuesday is the last throw of the dice. Win or Bust, and even a win is clutching straws in our fight for survival. If and that's a big IF we do win, we have to take a comfort that our last 5 matches of the season are against fellow relegation threatened teams. That doesn't include York away which is winnable I presume. Forget Scunny at home, Southend away. I am almost feeling positive, but No. I just have this hope that if we beat Bury, scrape a draw at York, our run in is in our hands. Regarding Bury match it's plain and simple 3 Points! :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:
Lucy
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

If we don't beat Bury then all is probably lost. Somehow we don't do well against northern teams at home, Rochdale excepted.
Another three points could be a life saver but depends on Exeter at Newport tomorrow.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

nickbrod wrote:If we don't beat Bury then all is probably lost. Somehow we don't do well against northern teams at home, Rochdale excepted.
Another three points could be a life saver but depends on Exeter at Newport tomorrow.
yes we've done so well against the southern teams :'( we don't do well against any team at home or away full stop!
The gulls are going up
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

nickbrod wrote:If we don't beat Bury then all is probably lost. Somehow we don't do well against northern teams at home, Rochdale excepted.
we wont beat Bury simply beacuse they can actually defend and score goals.

they brought in a manager with good contacts throughout the leagues and as a result brought in some good players as well as getting rid of some
"dead wood" that was at the club.

pity we havnt/didnt do that.......
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

I think the forum is quiet because quite simply most have given up now and really don't fall for all the chest thumping stuff they read and the comments from management and players about how "we'll work harder for the next match" crap.

Tuesday's win was fortunate. Rochdale had an off day and we played slightly better than average. We won......Whoopee. Sadly today, we failed yet again to score and then were hit by a sucker punch goal. 0-1 Goodnight.

We have been poor all season and I think most people are fed up with writing the same stuff after every game.

We all deserve a night off and tonight that's exactly what most are doing.

Can't wait for Tuesday............
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
oxgull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Class of 69

Post by oxgull »

Sorry but I gave in weeks ago. We are just not a football league club, performance wise, any more. Can't even see a win on Tuesday doing anything for us. Goodnight all, see you in the outer rim of the Conference/South/Southern League/Western League/SDL Div 5. The futures bright, the future is park football in front of two men and a dog called Colin :@
Oblivion!!!!
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

i think we will win both games this week, maybe a false dawn, but these two matches are both very very winnable for us, the home hoodoo must be laid to rest at some point and i fancy it to be this week!
still keeping the faith
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

4 points in the last 8 matches. Terrific. About time Mr Hargreaves was summonsed to see the headmaster. Not sure if 'could do better' would be accurate on his report, but it is certainly a case of 'must try harder'. 10 games to go at 0.5 points per game leaves us finishing the season on 38 points. Every other team has at least 38 points already. Down already then!

Get out of this and it will be real Roy of the Rovers stuff! I am though inclined to the view that relegation is the best course. Survive and the euphoria of a last gasp win at home to Wycombe will be quickly forgotten as we start and finish next season in 24th place. The Conference though should at least see us gather enough points not to have back to back relegations, and who knows we may have some excitement in the FA Trophy and meeting and beating proper football clubs in the FA Cup! ;-)
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

No its terrible lets be fair. The forum is dreadfully quiet because everyone has given up. We had to win yesterday. Had we done so that would have given us some sort of chance. Both Dave Thomas and Hargreaves said the same thing - that Cheltenham were there for the taking. Thats the annoying part.
Can't really blame Hargreaves yestreday.
Half our team is either injured or absent. Yesterday we were missing O'Connor,Poke,Bodin,Benyon(ill) and Cooper.
Five players who would have definately been in the team had they been fit.
Actually if we ever got our first choice line up on the pitch our team doesn't look too bad.
Its been a forlorn cause and probably was ever since we lost to Northampton really.
Goodbye Fl hello conference.
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Is Poke injured then? I thought he was just dropped - seemed to be fine warming up with Rice and Veysey at Cheltenham. I also assumed O'Connor was now over his shoulder problem given that he's been on the bench for the last couple of games. I actually think both Rice and Tonge have done well since returning to the fold but I would prefer Poke and O'Connor if fit.

Bodin's injury has been a big blow. He was obviously brought back too soon and rumours of him being out for the season may not be far from the truth. Cooper probably won't ever kick a ball for us!
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I just hope the crowd turns up tomorrow as this is the last chance we've got. :keepie: :keepie: :keepie: :keepie: :keepie: :keepie: yes keepie up!
bixieupnorth
Legend
Legend

Post by bixieupnorth »

arcadia wrote:I just hope the crowd turns up tomorrow as this is the last chance we've got. :keepie: :keepie: :keepie: :keepie: :keepie: :keepie: yes keepie up!
they won't! tuesday night = under 2000 i'm afraid
still keeping the faith
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

I cannot give up as long as it's possible I will be behind the team and Chris Hargreaves. :goal: :goal:
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Poke has a thigh injury and can't kick the ball. Bodin is back in training but according to the he might not be ready for tomorrow night. Cooper isn't too far away but as he hasn't played a game for ages he isn't going to be the answer in any case.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Unfortunately the defeat at Cheltenham means the crowd will be sub 1500 - had we won at cheltenham I would have been there tomorrow and had we got a win would have been there on saturday as well. As it is I am saving the best part of £150 and not going to either!