Southend United V Torquay United 29/3/14

Matchday topics and fixtures/results stored here.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Southend United V Torquay United 29/3/14

Post by lucy6lucy »

Another defeat beckons
Lucy
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Nice O/P.. :) Southend have added England U-19 Jacob Murphy from Norwich to their squad, nice... :'( while we'll be banging it long to Benyon and Yeoman no big Enoch's done one, made for a Torquay win this.
Formerly known as forevertufc
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Looks as if Courtney Cameron will be back in the side for Saturday. I've always thought that winning games usually means having good players on the wings who can put good crosses/passes in to the centre. The problem with us has been that even if we'd had such players in recent times nobody would have passed the ball to them; it would have been booted down the middle of the pitch over the heads of the midfield players. In any case, since the departure of Rene Howe we've had nobody capable of regularly putting the ball in the net.

All over the pitch we've had players who in theory may be individually talented but are incapable of gelling into a successful team, and it's too easy to blame bad luck for our lack of success. More likely is the fact that players have been so long bogged down in the mire that they lack fighting spirit and give up too easily. Getting through that psychological block was never going to be easy.

It's a manager's job to motivate his team, but it's also the team captain's job to continue that on the pitch, and to ensure that, for example, players pass the ball rather than hoof it up the field, and that's been one of our biggest failings in recent times. Commitment and energy alone are not enough in a captain.

Recent additions to the squad and players returning from injury will give CH options and the correct combination of players on the pitch will give us that remaining slim chance we have for the remaining games. Beginning with (here's hoping) Southend tomorrow.

Yep, I know, it's a very, very, slim chance...
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

lucy6lucy wrote:Another defeat beckons
Now I know what I've been doing wrong all these years in my matchday threads!!! :lol:

Just write a brief and to the point summary of the likely outcome and hey presto! :) :na:

You're bang on the money Luce and in all seriousness, there isn't any point in dressing it up. Southend have got back on track with a home win over Oxford and this screams 3 or 4 nil I'm afraid.

COYY!!! Total respect to the travelling Gulls for this. Maybe because I'm not going we will win? I went to the home game v Accy and we lost 1-0 and also the home game v Newport where we lost 1-0. In between those two we beat Rochdale and Bury!! :)

That said, away from home we are now looking as clueless as we do at Plainmoor so this has to be a complete smashing. Stick Cargill up top with Pearce!!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

We have actually dug out a couple of much needed results against Saafend in the last two encounters. The first last season when Knill took over and myself and many others thought we'd get battered but we got a 1-1 draw away thanks to a Labadie goal and this season when it seemed Knill was at last chance saloon he bagged us a 1-0 win at Plainmoor.

I'd say if we made it three and a win tomorrow it would mean the most of all of them right now.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
frenchgull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Tommy northcott

Post by frenchgull »

All is now well as we have a Tottenham sticker in the team,maybe a bit of class at last,the lad scored three against Barcelona youth so no mug,all of a sudden I feel confident.I predicted a big loss at Southend,now I am not so sure.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

Gullscorer wrote:We have a new loanee goalscorer..
Yes, for someone else. Given the plethora of loanee 'goalscorers' we have had this season i'll reserve judgement until he actually comes up with the goods. =D

He'll get the support from the fans and a chance but not much from his playing colleagues so he might have to be a bit special.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend

frenchgull wrote:All is now well as we have a Tottenham sticker in the team,maybe a bit of class at last,the lad scored three against Barcelona youth so no mug,all of a sudden I feel confident.I predicted a big loss at Southend,now I am not so sure.

We'll still end up PLAYING the same way Frenchie and that means not many opportunities and a dull game in prospect but if he can be on the ball to nick one of the few chances we can garner then we've a chance of getting a draw I reckon. Just sticking a striker up and hoping he turns out to be Didier Drogba won't get us goals, service and support from the middle will, but our strikers never get either to be fair even though they are not very good. We have a new striker in place but the real issues still haven't been addressed IMO. I wish him the best of luck anyway and hope he can bang one in for the travelling fans and see us come away with something.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Poke

O'connor Pearce Downes Cargill

Benyon Lathrop Harding Cameron

Coulthrist Stockley

Benyon is not too shabby out on the right and can link to make the 3rd striker.

Cameron may not be ready, may have to use Bodin or Thompson
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

If Cargill plays tomorrow something strange would have occurred, the lad has been reported by Eddie Howe to have a slight groin strain and would not be fit to at least the Scunny game, maybe rovers away, so either Cargill would be a proven quick healer or Eddie Howe doesn't know his own players.
Formerly known as forevertufc
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

forevertufc wrote:If Cargill plays tomorrow something strange would have occurred, the lad has been reported by Eddie Howe to have a slight groin strain and would not be fit to at least the Scunny game, maybe rovers away, so either Cargill would be a proven quick healer or Eddie Howe doesn't know his own players.

Good point, substitute Nicholson for Cargill.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

kevgull wrote:
Good point, substitute Nicholson for Cargill.
and pokes (slightly) injured.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

This is what we have been missing, this is what we need -

[youtube]M_ab6hZUfy0[/youtube]

Starting tomorrow.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

chunkygull wrote:This is what we have been missing, this is what we need -

[youtube]M_ab6hZUfy0[/youtube]

Starting tomorrow.
is it f**k.

we've been missing a team that can score goals, keep clean sheets and win two matches on the bounce.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468