Who transferred from Gargs to Gulls with John Uzzell

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Banging_Them_In
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: The Captain

Who transferred from Gargs to Gulls with John Uzzell

Post by Banging_Them_In »

When John Uzzell transferred from the Gargs to Gulls in 1989, I'm sure another player transferred from them to us at the same time. Anyone remember his name ?

..... and in that 1st game John got badly tackled, and some comedian in the Popside shouted out: "......don't worry John, 'Uzzel' get 'um back for that ! "

Well. That made me laugh, then and now...........
Banging_Them_In
On the Bench
On the Bench

...... it's OK, I found it on the internet. It was John (Melvin) Matthews.

Dave Smith signed the 33-year old at Torquay, along with John Uzzell who had also been released by Argyle. John played 25 times for the Gulls before being released at the end of the season.

Read more: http://www.plymouth.vitalfootball.co.uk ... z3E3jMyxZ3
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

I was going to suggest Tommy Tynan but I guess not then :)
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
Banging_Them_In
On the Bench
On the Bench

.....and talking of John Uzzell.

On 14 December 1991, while playing in a Third Division game for Torquay United at Plainmoor, suffered a fractured cheekbone and eye socket in a collision with Brentford striker Gary Blissett, who was subsequently charged with causing grevious bodily harm with intent. However, Blissett was cleared of the charge at Salisbury Crown Court on 3 December 1992

I hadn't seen this clip before, so I thought I'd post it. There is a good view of the old Popside in the background too.......

Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Great find that, never knew it existed. I was at the game but I was so young I can't remember the incident, just my dad talking about it afterwards.

In fact, I struggle to remember much of Uzzell for the same reason, which is a shame seeing as he is still considered one of the better defenders to have played for us.

For those that don't know, John now covers the Plainmoor games for the Press Association.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Looking at that Youtube link led me to this

Dean Edwards scoring in the FA Cup away at Hillsborough, in the 1st minute to Sheffield Wednesday in January 89. I remember being at that game and quite a noisy contingent of Torquay fans by the sounds of it, celebrated the goal. It was to end in disappointment as we were hammered 5-1 and it was the first FA Cup match played there that year, followed eventually by the awful events there 3 months later, when Liverpool played Forest, at the same end those Torquay fans were in.
Dutchgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Dutchgull »

I was there that day and one of my thoughts as I walked to the front was how does this place cope with a big crowd as even we seemed packed in. I also thought oh bugger we've upset them now after Deano scored !!