Tim Sills Contract Terminated at Stevenage

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
GulldenBoy
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Branston

Tim Sills Contract Terminated at Stevenage

Post by GulldenBoy »

Just seen on Sky Sports that Stevenage and Tim Sills have parted company.

Wish him all the best, it only seems to work for him with clubs south of Watford!

Bring him in on a month to month basis as back up till the end of the season??
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

i would rather have seen Sills get the chances Gritton got at the beginning of the season, especially with some of the long balls
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Bucks mentioned he debated bringing Sills back.

You know what, i'd have him back. He knows the club, we got the best out of him before and he'd offer us something different to what we have now. Some players just don't do so well at other clubs, i'm sure if you asked fans fo stevenage, hereford or oxford about Sills, you wouldn't hear too much in the way of good (football wise) but if he were to come back, i'm sure he'd instantly feel home again and be made to feel very welcome by us.

We're on a strict budget, here is a player who maybe won't get us 20 goals like he could at BSP level but he could sure do a job when we are chasing games or need to go down that route.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

He's the replacement of the replacementee that was meant to replace him! (gritton I'm on about!)

Bring him back! :scarf: :clap:
Plymouth Gull

Post by Plymouth Gull »

I'd take him back. We need a tall striker so we can have a plan b (albeit a boring one) should our passing game fail against some sides.
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Mark Ellis

Post by AndyC »

No!

Remember him for all the good he did for us, but that is in the past now. If Gritton couldn't get a game, and Kee doesn't get a game regularly, there is no need for a player proven not to be up to League Two level time and time and time again.

I wish Sillsy all the best wherever he ends up, but there is no place for emotion in signing players.
Awayday
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Chris McPhee

Post by Awayday »

There were moments where Sills proved to be a quality player, problem is when he was having an off day he was shocking.
Teams soon realised that if they stuck a defender on him, he didn't do anything, instead we should look at playing Kee and Benyon (someone who plays wide along side someone who can play striker) rather than "Let's hoof the ball up pitch to Sills who can flick it on".
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

I prefer him to Gritton certainly, but I think he's had his time here and it's for the best all round if he goes elsewhere. His next move is important to him as at 31 this could well be the last few years of his pro career, and he needs to be settled. He didn't set the world alight at Stevenage but his reputation should still be pretty good in the BSP, enough to get himself a long term deal and some stability for himself and his family.

In an ideal world, I'd love him back here on a short-term deal to provide an option off the bench in certain games, but we don't have a lot of money, and don't look likely to make any signings this window, so if we do bring someone in it would hopefully be a first team player and not a squad one.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
chippygull
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by chippygull »

Sillsy! Legend! Don't spoil it by coming back as a shadow of your former self!
Fate: A police dog called Bryn bit Torquay player Jim McNichol and the time while he was receiving treatment was added onto the end of the second half.
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by AndyC »

Gritts has been released by Chesterfield as well today.
gullsflyinghigh
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by gullsflyinghigh »

Going to sign for Aldershot apparently!!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 364412.stm
MidDevon
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by MidDevon »

Firstly I will never forget what Tim did for Torquay, he was an amazing Conference player....that goal at Wembley made me cry!.....but he was not a football league standard palyer in my opinion.

Tim's game was base on "gamemanship". Did no one else notice that in the conference he would climb all over defenders in the first couple of minutes to test what the refs reaction would be. He the ref picked him up for it, he was , in all honesty, not as effective.

When reaching the football league, it was noticably how much stronger the refs were and he gave away countless free kicks, to the pont that he was pretty ineffective.

Just my opinon, but I want to wish Tim all the best. Aldershot will be a carcking move for him, but I think it could well be a season of frustration, and even a relegation fight, for Aldershot
robc
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by robc »

On the subject of former strikers, has anyone noticed how well Alan Connell is doing in the conference? 16 goals in 22 games for Grimsby... Also, whilst checking out the conference I noticed a couple of other things (this might be old news, but I never look at the conference these days), Alex Russell was playing for Bath City and was apparently instrumental in them climbing away from the relegation zone, but signed a couple of weeks ago for Yeovil. He's 37 but to be honest I'm not surprised that they went for him, with such vast experience, and his game was never about pace, hope he does well for them and they stay up.
AndyC
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by AndyC »

Not going to sign for Aldershot - has signed for them until the end of the season.
Trojan 67
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by Trojan 67 »

Tim did the the business for us when it mattered and that's what counts. In his second season with us, not only did he have Nico and his delivery, he had Wayno flighting in crosses. The rest as they say is history.

From reading the posted link it would appear Tim is to be an impact player rather than a guaranteed starter. I guess that could depend on whether Aldershot have players who can drop it on Tim's head like Wayno and Nico.

I'm glad Tim has got the opportunity to have another crack at the Football League.
Friend of TorquayFans.com
Member of the Month November 2020
Southampton Gull: "Well deserved"