Departures

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MH91
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by MH91 »

Fonda, the length of service at one club and level can be considered as a sign of quality at that level. It implies that the particular player has shown enough consistency throughout the seasons to earn himself contract after contract, something which many other players who are much more gifted in terms of pace, strength and height have not been able to do.
Yes, of course we are allowed to joke, but this is a joke on somebody's back - a player who has spent 7 years at the club you love. A lengthy period which might turn out to be more than half of his entire career and would probably include his entire professional career if he does not manage to stay in the football league (as far as I know BSP players are considered as semi professional). I am saying that because as I have said before, we are a little family club and even though some people might not agree with me, I am convinced players actually read some of the stuff we write. If you put yourself in Danny's position and you read that you are good only for being a chimney sweeper or for serving tea in L1, than you would probably feel that the last 7 years of your life and career have been a waste of time. I know that you guys refer to L1, but from his football/career perspective this is a chance he must take and nobody should ridicule him for doing that. Every single one of our released players would have gone on a trial with the O's if given a chance. So my point is, that from a human point of view it is not fair towards the guy to receive such comments.
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

So honest opinions are out and false platitudes are in? I might just pack it in then. I want to hear what people think, not what they think people want to read.

I apologise unreservedly for making a joke about sweeping chimneys. It was unnecessary and uncalled for and this is a serious business.

I have and do wish Danny all the best. If nothing else, 7 years at a club indicates his attitude was always spot on and i'm sure we all appreciate his efforts. And If he gets himself a game at a League 1 club whilst I'll be surprised' i'll be delighted for him.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

So... keeping on thread, any news on Oastler or Macklin? Has Rene turned up at WBA for a medical? Perhaps he's trying to do the player version of the 92 Club and be linked with every club in one summer break?
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

Wheres this 7 years people quote come from?
2 seasons in the BSP and 4 in the league equals 6 seasons.
Yes he was a good winger at BSP level but with the step up to the league, the opponents are a bit faster and a bit trickier so he was always going to find it difficult to compete.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

This was the problem with Lings squad last year - Stevens started as first choice winger. That told its own story. In all fairness Danny was hopeless last year, lazy,lightweight,no pace,couldn't tackle. Thats about the truth of it.
higgipr
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Willie Brown

Post by higgipr »

Danny left Orient today after not being offered a contract.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

MH91 wrote:Even if some people are not Danny Stevens fans..I don't understand the posts above me..Some of them are not short of insulting. Especially when you have in mind it is for a player who spent 7 years at our club and gave us some memorable moments and was vital in our way back to the football league. If you look at lower league football not just in UK but anywhere around the world you would see that is a rarity for a player to stay 7 years in one club, mainly because at a certain point he gets released (usually after and year or two), because he is viewed as useless. Look at League 1 and League 2...They are full of football travellers..No matter how one dimensional..short..or weak..you think he was..he must have had some sort of abilities to earn 4 (if I am not wrong) consecutive contracts. I am sure he would have earned another contract if Lingy had not been sacked.I just don't find it fair towards the guy to receive those sorts of comments from Torquay fans..
Err, find the Danny Stevens thread I started when news broke he was released and then rethink the above please.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
gullno4
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Rene

Post by gullno4 »

I know he wasn't our player, but Angus Macdonald played for Yeovil in a pre season friendly last night, he's done well to get him self a trial there!
The gulls are going up
OhJimmyJimmy
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by OhJimmyJimmy »

Quite surprised we haven't been linked more with McDonald. He was young and a bit raw but you don't spend those early years at a big club like reading if you are only ok at football. I though with more game time he could be first team in L2?
Fonda
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Super Jason Fowler

Post by Fonda »

I imagine McDonald's wages, even as a youngster at Reading would have been problematic for us to try and replicate. I expect to see a more experienced player brought in to replace Saah anyway. With the youngsters acting as cover.
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Correct, yoevil will need a bigger squad and as such will probably take a couple of gambles on the likes of Macdonald and Moore as long term investments. In all likelihood Yeovil will go down this year and these 2 will be releatively cheap for them and may be able to contribute down the line. If they sign the pair I would imagine both would be sent out on loan.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Macdonald is nowhere near championship standard. Think he didn't sign for us because Knill didn't want him.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

I though he had signed for Wimbledon? or did I dream that?
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Concur entirely with Tezza, he'll not get regular football up there, even for the team at the bottom of the division.

Not sure where you got that impression, Rich. That said, I did think that Tom Aldred played for Man Utd. He is, in fact, at Accrington.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
GazTheGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: ...

Post by GazTheGull »

I think MacDonald was on loan at Wimbledon at some point?