The Cornish Question?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
DTG
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Anyone but McNeil

The Cornish Question?

Post by DTG »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-23950993

So, it's official. They're going to do it. I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand I'm disgusted theat PAFC are allowed to exist while owing 17 MILLION quid to local businesses. On the other, a successful "big" club on our doorstep must be a benefit to TUFC........shouldn't it?

It also highlights the shoddy way TUFC are treated by the local Council. It would appear that Plymouth Council are bending over backwards to help PAFC by giving them land to complete the project. What do we get? Parking restrictions in Cary Park, jobsworth H&S and the local Plod overcharging for police attendance that they have restricted because they are incompetent.

Maybe it's time to think the unthinkable and formalise a link between us and the six fingered ones. Training facilities, youth development, marketing campaigns to get the locals off their arses. Let's face it, as distasteful as it is, PAFC stole from the community and got away with it. Now that same community are backing them to progress up the leagues. Riding the cornish coat tails might be good for us.

Should we prostitute ourselves to the Cornish?
GET PHILLIPS OUT NOW!!!
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

They are nothing to do with Cornwall. Cornwall is a wonderful, and beautiful part of the world. Plymouth is a hovel.

Thanks

Kernowgull
thegreedygull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rene Howe

Post by thegreedygull »

A hovel, been to Camborne recently ?
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

DTG wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-23950993
It would appear that Plymouth Council are bending over backwards to help PAFC by giving them land to complete the project. What do we get?
It appears that they are giving the land to Brents group, not the club, as its being used to expand the rest of the development.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Kernowgull wrote:They are nothing to do with Cornwall. Cornwall is a wonderful, and beautiful part of the world. Plymouth is a hovel.

Thanks

Kernowgull
As any good Devonian will tell you, the Cornish are the enemy of all that is good in this world and must be contained at all costs! :na:
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

We should not confuse Plymouth Argyle the football club with the people who owned the company that owned the club. This was not the fault of the football fans of Plymouth who did not deserve what happened, any more than the Gulls fans deserved a certain Mr Roberts sending us down to the Conference. We were lucky not to suffer the same fate as Argyle.

James Brent's consortium which now owns Argyle was not responsible for the previous owners' debts, but with Brent now in charge it looks as if the Pilgrims can look forward to a brighter future and, thanks to the Home Park re-developments and to Plymouth City Council, Argyle will eventually repay the money raised to secure that future.

The future's bright for the Gulls too, but we should retain our independence, and not worry about Torbay Council. Local authorities have their own financial problems, and their policies change over time. Our club is progressing nicely and sensibly, but we should be patient. Torquay United is a small club and will remain so even if we do a Yeovil with success on the pitch. If the club tries to act otherwise it may trip up financially and fall flat on it's face, but thankfully there seems to be little chance of that happening.
DTG
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by DTG »

Gullscorer wrote:We should not confuse Plymouth Argyle the football club with the people who owned the company that owned the club. This was not the fault of the football fans of Plymouth who did not deserve what happened, any more than the Gulls fans deserved a certain Mr Roberts sending us down to the Conference. We were lucky not to suffer the same fate as Argyle.

James Brent's consortium which now owns Argyle was not responsible for the previous owners' debts, but with Brent now in charge it looks as if the Pilgrims can look forward to a brighter future and, thanks to the Home Park re-developments and to Plymouth City Council, Argyle will eventually repay the money raised to secure that future.

The future's bright for the Gulls too, but we should retain our independence, and not worry about Torbay Council. Local authorities have their own financial problems, and their policies change over time. Our club is progressing nicely and sensibly, but we should be patient. Torquay United is a small club and will remain so even if we do a Yeovil with success on the pitch. If the club tries to act otherwise it may trip up financially and fall flat on it's face, but thankfully there seems to be little chance of that happening.

Nice of you to be so generous with 17 million pounds worth of other peoples money GS. Didn't the Greeks go down for 5 Mill? Of course they both got nice new pitches and stands for the fraud so that's alright then.

What I'm suggesting is collaboration. For example a Joint Season Ticket. We play alternate weekends and STH's get to go to watch both teams. The financial logistics could be worked out I'm sure. Or how about a Support Devon Football Loyalty Card? All 3 teams could benefit from this. Sell it for 15 (fiver for each club) quid and sign up businesses from all over Devon to support it. Joint Youth and Training facilities etc.
GET PHILLIPS OUT NOW!!!
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Jerry wrote: As any good Devonian will tell you, the Cornish are the enemy of all that is good in this world and must be contained at all costs! :na:
Hey - no racism on this site please !!! No doubt I'm one of Kernow's cousins (they all inter-breed on the other side of the Tamar) but always remember - you have to pay to get into Cornwall but to get back into Devon, it's free .......
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Gullscorer wrote:We should not confuse Plymouth Argyle the football club with the people who owned the company that owned the club. This was not the fault of the football fans of Plymouth who did not deserve what happened, any more than the Gulls fans deserved a certain Mr Roberts sending us down to the Conference. We were lucky not to suffer the same fate as Argyle.

"DTG wrote:
Nice of you to be so generous with 17 million pounds worth of other peoples money GS. Didn't the Greeks go down for 5 Mill? Of course they both got nice new pitches and stands for the fraud so that's alright then.

What I'm suggesting is collaboration. For example a Joint Season Ticket. We play alternate weekends and STH's get to go to watch both teams. The financial logistics could be worked out I'm sure. Or how about a Support Devon Football Loyalty Card? All 3 teams could benefit from this. Sell it for 15 (fiver for each club) quid and sign up businesses from all over Devon to support it. Joint Youth and Training facilities etc.
I was merely stating what I perceived to be the legal situation. Of course I feel sorry for people who have lost money, it's amiss of you to insinuate that I don't, and doubly amiss to imply that I tolerate fraud, but legalities take no account of emotion. The present owners of Plymouth Argyle are not to blame for the misjudgements of the previous owners, and neither are Argyle's fans. PAFC did not steal from the community, and if the previous owners had committed theft they would have been charged accordingly and brought to court. It was their bad business decisions which caused the problem, not James Brent, not the Argyle fans. Why should they be castigated for something which was not their fault?

As for collaboration and joint season tickets, are you having a laugh? Most potential supporters of both clubs can hardly afford to watch one home game a month. It's a deprived area. Only a small core of fans are able and willing to spend their money on frequent attendance at games, with travelling expenses on top. Collaboration really is a non-starter.
Last edited by Gullscorer on 04 Sep 2013, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

tomogull wrote: Hey - no racism on this site please !!! No doubt I'm one of Kernow's cousins (they all inter-breed on the other side of the Tamar) but always remember - you have to pay to get into Cornwall but to get back into Devon, it's free .......
Shows how long it is since you left Cornwall! ;-) You only have to pay in one direction and that is to get OUT of Cornwall. I for one am always only too happy to do so! ;-)
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

This is not as bad an idea as GS makes out. I live on the border between the Argyle and Gulls catchment areas (well, perhaps well to the Argyle side actually!) and knew several people who used to support and attend both team's games. Not sure they still do but such an idea may boost attendances for both clubs. Not sure if there is a similar effect on the Exeter/Torquay border.
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

thegreedygull wrote:A hovel, been to Camborne recently ?
or Newquay & Redruth? :Z

On the whole though Cornish you are right, it is a beautiful part of the world and second to none in the UK. Scotland and the islands offer a different feel and a different kind of beauty but it would run Cornwall close. Fleetwood on the other hand...............
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

how about this - bo**ocks to the gargs.
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Sponsors of Lirak Hasani, 2024-2025
We now head Due South to all games!

TUST Member 468

DTG
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by DTG »

Gullscorer wrote: I was merely stating what I perceived to be the legal situation. Of course I feel sorry for people who have lost money, it's amiss of you to insinuate that I don't, and doubly amiss to imply that I tolerate fraud, but legalities take no account of emotion. The present owners of Plymouth Argyle are not to blame for the misjudgements of the previous owners, and neither are Argyle's fans. PAFC did not steal from the community, and if the previous owners had committed theft they would have been charged accordingly and brought to court. It was their bad business decisions which caused the problem, not James Brent, not the Argyle fans. Why should they be castigated for something which was not their fault?

As for collaboration and joint season tickets, are you having a laugh? Most potential supporters of both clubs can hardly afford to watch one home game a month. It's a deprived area. Only a small core of fans are able and willing to spend their money on frequent attendance at games, with travelling expenses on top. Collaboration really is a non-starter.

Bloody good thing you're not running the club with that attitude GS. Tho the Myopic Muppets Baker and Phillips have managed to do bugger all so maybe you're related to them.

You can spin it anyway you want. PAFC took goods and services with no intention of paying for them including players. That's stealing end of.

STH's, I would argue, tend to be at the more affluent end of the scale and might like the opportunity of taking in both teams. I'm really fed up of this deprived area bollox. Marketing is all about targetting, so fu***ng target!! A lazy argument for people with little or no imagination.
GET PHILLIPS OUT NOW!!!
chardie
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Alan Little

Post by chardie »

As they say in Cornwall.....

Bob's your uncle, and he's your Dad..... :-o
TUST No 278