Whinge, Moan, Rant And Anything Else Put It Here ...

General chat about anything else goes here.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Emet spent all his money sponsoring roundabouts :)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
oldpedant
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by oldpedant »

ferrarilover wrote:In 1981, the average house cost 3.25 x average annual salary. In 2011, the average house cost 5.5 x the average annual salary.

Average household disposable income in 1981 was £7500. In 2010 it was 14000. That's an increase of 86.66%. Meanwhile:

A pint in 1981 was 53p, today, it's £3 - an increase of 466%

A litre of unleaded was 35p, today, it's £1.30 - an increase of 271%

A sliced white loaf was 36p, it's now £1.32 - an increase of 266%

VW Golf GTi MkI was £5400, it's now £25,845 - an increase of 378%

These were the first few things I thought of, I'm sure I haven't just got lucky.

Matt.
The problem with your comparison is that the disposable income figures you have used are the 'real' disposable income and allow for inflation, whereas the costs you show are actual costs. And the first few things you thought of? They were exactly the items and prices quoted in articles in the Telegraph and the Mirror, presumably based on ONS publications. I would guess that the prices of things like white goods, TVs, and clothes have not increased anything like as much.

The 'actual' figures for disposable income, not adjusted for inflation, would show an increase of about 150%.

And the house price multiple thing is more to do with lower mortgage interest rates pushing the house prices up. Then it was around 15% and now what, 5%. So as house prices rose, the house price multiple of salary became higher, but the actual monthly repayments were the same or lower.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I hate social engineering; the way society is manipulated to move slowly and inexorably in certain directions against the wishes of ordinary folks. Or sometimes with the approval of the majority, but against the legitimate rights and concerns of a minority.

Specifically here, the way kids are herded into nurseries and play-groups while their mums pursue a career and their dads are expected to be mums. Men are not mothers and should never be expected to do a mother's work, notwithstanding the fact that many women are forced to go to work from economic necessity.

But if people cannot afford to have kids, they should not have kids. Contraception has been around for years. Nobody has a divine right to have kids. In particular, kids in a nursery and a full-time career?!?

Why should my taxes pay for someone else's subsidised play school or maternity or paternity leave? Why should a single person be expected to cover for a woman who decides she wants to have a baby and believes she has a right to be provided for by you and me while she does so? Why should I be expected to contribute my hard-earned money to pay for the motherhood of such a selfish person??

:@
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

If one more person invites me to play Candy Crush F*cking Saga i'll prolapse!!! :@ :@ :@

I'M A F*CKING MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO THANKYOU!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

AustrianAndyGull wrote:If one more person invites me to play Candy Crush F*cking Saga i'll prolapse!!! :@ :@ :@

I'M A F*CKING MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NO THANKYOU!

Maybe they think you fcuk other men :)
Dave

Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I hate it when people change the look of a website, thinking they're improving it when actually they've made it worse. Obviously opinions will not be unanimous, but shouldn't users at least be consulted? How about a poll? Ugh..!! :@

And why is it saying I'm off-line when I'm on-line..?? :@
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Because you're hiding ;-)
Dave

Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Remembrance Day - 11 November - has come and gone; the day when we are supposed to express thanks for all the blood spilled and lives lost in battle, instead of demanding an end to carnage. And that's what annoys me. If all the billions spent on armed forces and weapons of war had been used instead to provide for the needs of the peoples of the world, there would be no need for war.. :@
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

If only it were that simple.

The thing that annoys me: French people. Particularly French people who post on here!

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
usagullmichigan
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by usagullmichigan »

ferrarilover wrote:If only it were that simple.

The thing that annoys me: French people. Particularly French people who post on here!

Matt.
And Italian wannabes
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

Gullscorer wrote: :rofl: :clap: :goodpost: :rofl:
E' normale avere la bava alla bocca cosi? ;-)
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

Ahahaha, poor Stef.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"