Open training session 5/7

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Any word on CH's mystery trialists yet?
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

Had a look at Joma (never heard of them before), seems they make quite smart kits, they're the main kit supplier for Fiorentina (Serie A) and Valencia (La Liga) and both of those teams kits are quite tidy.
bobby93
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Eunan O'Kane

Post by bobby93 »

goodluckgull wrote:and for some completely useless information.....

Karl Hawley has shaved off his beard, Ben Harding has shaved off the hair on his head and Greavsie has a lot more grey hair.
Without the beard, I'm not sure what Hawley will contribute to the team.

Didn't even notice Harding, that was obviously why. I had my glasses on and everything.
FINAL ISSUE (#13) & back issues of TUFC fanzine Highway to Hele available now from http://www.highwaytohele.bigcartel.com

Twitter: @highwaytohele
Facebook: facebook.com/highwaytohele
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

gullintwoplaces wrote: Glad to hear about Hawley. I found his beard very scary indeed. Don't want to be scared at a footie match.
The trouble is that Hargreaves picked it up and is wearing it. :keepie:
MH91
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by MH91 »

Did Tom Cruise take part in the training? He was supposed to be back for a "prove your fitness period"?
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

He did.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Markh84
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Brendan Moore

Post by Markh84 »

I believe Karl Baker the striker who we had at the club a few years back has been invited back for a trial. Hargreaves quite liked him when he was last here. He has been scoring hat fulls of goals further down the football pyramid over the last few seasons.
Yellow4life
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Yellow4life »

Scoring goals in the south Devon league isn't the same. Good player at that level but not at Torquay's.

Joma have been around for a while although I wasn't aware they did major shirt sponsors.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

I always liked Baker. A trial can't hurt and nor could having him as an option. A front line of Bowman, Cureton, Benyon, Hawley, Yeoman and Sullivan is marvellous (well, if you like that sort of thing and not that our front line will look anything like that), but there's one key element missing... Pace.

I think it's right to say that Baker would outpace every single player on that list. It's all well and good having flying wingers skinning fullbacks, but that pace is wasted if every cross is floated straight into an empty penalty area. Against a tiring, Conference level defence, bringing on Thompson and Baker could well win us a penalty or even score us a goal.

No, he's probably not the next Charlie Austin, nor is he likely to get into double figures, but as a cheap option for a dozen sub appearances a season, there are worse players available for more money.
People have been begging us to look further down the leagues for a rough diamond. All the kid Cavan do is score goals. The diamonds-in-hiding aren't the ones getting 6 goals/season, they're the ones getting 30 or 40 goals a season. You can only beat what's put in front of you. If he plays v Totnes and gets 6 goals, then we move him on to play against whoever we play next until we find the opposition against whom he looks completely lost. If that's Salisbury or whoever, then he's out the door. If it's Plymouth, then he's worth a shot.

If true, I think this is lovely news. Happy days.

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Trailists confirmed by Herald Express as Angus McDonald,Duane O'Achie(striker) and Toby Ajala(winger).
PlainmoorRoar
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PlainmoorRoar »

Behind-the-Gulls wrote:Trailists confirmed by Herald Express as Angus McDonald,Duane O'Achie(striker) and Toby Ajala(winger).
Karl Baker would make 4, does the herald confirm 6 trialists? Just 2 to find out!
TUFC FACEBOOK PAGE - https://www.facebook.com/insideplainmoor
TUFC TWITTER PAGE - https://twitter.com/TUFC1899

Torquay United Supporters Trust member - Join the TUST now!
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Yes-they say these are amongst 6 on trial. http://www.torquayheraldexpress.co.uk/A ... story.html
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

CH has, on more than one occasion, stated that he has three experienced midfielders joining for pre-season, so can only presume this Baker rumour is spurious or he is in addition to the six currently here.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

The trialist situation is uninspiring given CH had said he was bringing in surprising, experienced players on trial. Ajala and O'achie we knew about (and aren't experienced), Baker is a novice and MacDonald is known to us and hardly experienced either. As Kit_robin says, hopefully Baker is an extra otherwise its disappointing
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Bloggy »

Perhaps some of those that were invited for Pre Season have found deals elsewhere. Always a risk if you don't nail them to a contract.