Torquay United set for a take over ?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

I don't think anybody but himself will truly know if Mr Thomas is genuine in his 'interest' in TUFC but it is more positive to believe the best in someone than to spend all of the while doubting. Unless that person is a politician, member of the clergy or admits to enjoying saturday night television.

It goes without saying that anyone being linked who has previously forged a bad reputation with a number of different clubs needs to be treated very suspiciously indeed but in the case of Kelvin Thomas i think his overall profile doesn't suggest that he has any ulterior motive for the move.

I actually think that at this moment in time it is a great relief for the club and the fans, not least due to the fact that some on here were 'predicting' administration and other domesday scenario's. Thea has quite clearly come to the end of the line in terms of propping up the club almost singlehandedly and she needs a break and some help. The fans need a break too and some good news and a sense of direction.

I didn't see much assistance or direction by all those who hid behind her and also from the ones who bailed out leaving her with the last straw to break the camel's back. That's just my opinion and the way i see it and a small part of why i left the club. Thea is a strong lady but EVERYONE needs a shoulder at some point and EVERYONE needs a bit of peace now and again to gather themselves. These last 2 years have probably been interesting but nonetheless overwhelming for Thea and now she has that support in the shape of Mr Thomas.

I have my own views on the way forward for the club and it involves fan ownership but that is just not possible at this juncture although i strongly feel this should be addressed and worked towards right now because the club are likely to be in the same boat again in the future. However, the next best thing is possibly what Mr Thomas can bring.

The only other option was to continue along the same path and eventually Thea would end up potless and the club would die. That won't happen now, at least for the foreseeable.

I'm really chuffed for you lot and now i can only hope that the club can move forward and this bloke can get some stability back and actually open the lines of communication between club and fan.

First of all CH should be relieved of his duties and then i'm 100% sure the good times will be just around the corner. A new beginning.

The season starts here!
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Sounds more positive now I must admit
TUST MEMBER
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Reading through another site there is a story about Truro City looking to ground share with Torquay next season. This sounds an interesting idea as the extra revenue stream could be put to upgrading the Plainmoor pitch to allow two games a week.
CH's desire is to play a passing game on the deck but currently our pitch doesn't allow this. For example our play on New Year's Day at Bristol Rovers was due to the perfect state of the Mem.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

lucy6lucy wrote:A few views from oxford fans. http://yellowsforum.proboards.com/threa ... uay-united
Generally favourable responses.
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jools Holland

Post by BayGull »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:

It goes without saying that anyone being linked who has previously forged a bad reputation with a number of different clubs needs to be treated very suspiciously indeed but in the case of Kelvin Thomas i think his overall profile doesn't suggest that he has any ulterior motive for the move.
Unless he is a multimillionaire with 'money to burn' - somewhat like Mrs Bristow - his motive has to be to make money!

Okay, so he may well want to make the club more viable, but there has to be something in it for him, and in this day and age that something has to be MONEY!
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

Expecting plenty of retoric over the nexts coming months however lets stick to the old addage that actions speak louder than words
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
AustrianAndyGull
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Kev Nicholson

Post by AustrianAndyGull »

BayGull wrote: Unless he is a multimillionaire with 'money to burn' - somewhat like Mrs Bristow - Okay, so he may well want to make the club more viable, but there has to be something in it for him, and in this day and age that something has to be MONEY!
Exactly. I'd have thought that was implicit.

So other than stating the obvious and saying that he had joined to try and make money i suggested that he had no ulterior motive. Motives in terms of some underhand scheme to try and bleed the club dry, leave them up shit creek and then **** off into the ether.

He will want to make the club more viable and he will want to make some money like you say. I don't see that as an ulterior motive but just normal business behaviour. Why is making money an ulterior motive? It is the perhaps the primary reason this bloke has joined.

He can make all the money he likes so long as he doesn't fiddle or operate out of the clubs means and i don't think people should be suspicious of the bloke before he has even set foot in the door, at least not without good reason. It is not helpful and someone is always looking for a negative before anything is given a chance.

This bloke COULD herald a new start and already the suspicion has surfaced. Give the man a fighting chance at least.
Strangely enough it was Pope Gregory the 9th inviting me for drinks aboard his steam yacht, the saucy sue currently wintering in montego bay with the England cricket team and the Balanese Goddess of plenty.
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

At this stage this all sounds a bit vague but hopefully we shall hear more in the near future. Any development is encouraging.
What is important is that a clean sweep is required which includes appointing a new manager as mentioned by Andy otherwise the ' new dawn' will not be reflected on the field.
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jools Holland

Post by BayGull »

AustrianAndyGull wrote:
Exactly. I'd have thought that was implicit.

So other than stating the obvious and saying that he had joined to try and make money i suggested that he had no ulterior motive.
Mr Roberts only wanted to make money!! :clap:
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

CP Gull wrote:Interesting development today. Based on the work he did at Oxford United, you would have to think that the appointment of Kelvin Thomas is a positive development even if it is only on a short term basis(three weeks "initially"). My first reaction is whether or not he is here at the invitation of Thea just to help her out - as the OS seems to suggest - perhaps even advising her on any potential sale of the club so as to make sure she gets the best deal OR is it more a case of the potential "new owners" putting Thomas in situ in order to carry out a top to bottom examination of the football club before either investing in, or more likely perhaps buying it, which seems to be more the line being taken in the local press. Personally, of the two options, I think the latter one is the more likely scenario.
.....or maybe, not?

This , from the BBCs Brent Pilnick's Twitter feed this morning ....

Kelvin Thomas tells me he has no plans to takeover #Torquay - says he is helping Thea Bristow who is in talks with a buyer. #TUFC

Despite speculation in the local media that he (Thomas) is here carrying out due diligence on behalf of prospective new owners, it would appear that he is refuting this and going with the official line being put out by the OS ... namely that he has been brought in, at the invitation of Thea, to help her through this transitionary stage. Certainly sounds feasible as should Thea be looking for either a co investor or to sell the club, it would be in her own best interests as well as the club"s to make sure she gets the best deal, ideally for BOTH parties i.e the Bristow family and TUFC. It could just be that she doesn't have sufficient faith or confidence in her own ability or indeed that of anyone else already on the Board, to help her achieve this goal ... without "outside" help.

So, despite all the speculation to the contrary, it could just be that Thomas' role is to hang around until such time as the sale of the club has been successfully completed, be that now or a few months down the road ....and then quite simply it will end there.
Last edited by CP Gull on 22 Jan 2015, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Sesimbra wrote:At this stage this all sounds a bit vague but hopefully we shall hear more in the near future. Any development is encouraging.
What is important is that a clean sweep is required which includes appointing a new manager as mentioned by Andy otherwise the ' new dawn' will not be reflected on the field.
I don't know that this is supposed to be a new dawn. It's an experienced football administrator coming in to the club to assess things and offer advice on ways to improve things but I get the impression it's more to do with everything else other than the way the first team is performing on the pitch. If there is to be a new owner in the near future then there is little point in changing the manager now. Makes the club a much better prospect for a potential buyer knowing they can come in and change the manager immediately without upsetting the fans.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Thomas has said he will talk to fans in near future-lets use the opportunity to put constructive suggestions his way regarding potential funding streams.
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

I have seen the press conference with Thomas. What I don't understand is what Tristan Lewis is doing sat there in a suit. He is supposed to be there purely to look at the youth set up, and is supposedly busy running his own soccer franchises, not to mention he is supposed to be assistant manager at Hayes and Yeading - I mean don't they have a game or something on Saturday? - shouldn't be up there trying to sort his own team out?
As usual with these sort of things its probably best not to believe a damn thing coming out of anyones mouths.
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

Yes it all sounds rather odd now. My view now is that these guys are here to give advice on re-structuring the club, financially and otherwise to make it more appealing to a new investor, who probably doesn't exist yet.
TUST MEMBER