Pre-Season Friendly

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Markh84
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Brendan Moore

Post by Markh84 »

1-0 down after only 2 mins!

Added in 21 minutes 22 seconds:
1-1 Murembedzi good finish at the far post from a cross from trialist winger Ryan Brobbel.
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Slow start tonight, soon recovered, first time seeing us under PC, liked the work rate, tried to pass the ball around pleasing to see, looks like we've picked some decent players, liked Fenwick, Shepard, Smith looks solid at the back, Butler at left back looked the pick of the signings to me, Ives v Butler contest only one winner for me, Butler all day long. All in all a good showing from the team tonight, looking forward to next week now.
Formerly known as forevertufc
OllieGull
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by OllieGull »

I guess it was a performance that may become typical under Cox this season: not being on the ball too much, playing relatively quickly and direct, limiting the oppositions chances to a minimum and also creating a lot more dangerous chances due to how direct we are. City passed it about a fair bit and held on to it, but as soon as we got it we bombed forward most of the time to put them under pressure.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Markh84 wrote:1-0 down after only 2 mins!

Added in 21 minutes 22 seconds:
1-1 Murembedzi good finish at the far post from a cross from trialist winger Ryan Brobbel.

Ryan Brobbel sounds like he has good pedigree

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Brobbel
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

A good performance from us today.

We started a little slowly, I think perhaps due to the fact Exeter came out of the blocks quickly with some nice passing football and scored after about a minute and a half. I missed part of the goal but it looked like a defensive error as we failed to get the ball away, leaving it to the guy on the edge of the box to slot it away. We grew into the game though, and the work-rate really upped in the second half, with City struggling to deal with it or break us down once we got settled.

Speiss had a good game. Exeter's attack was far more fluid that Argyle's, meaning he was called on a few times and did pretty well I thought. I'd be surprised if he didn't start the season as number 1. We returned to four at the back, with Smith sliding over to right back where I thought he did pretty well. I like the look of Angus and Exodus as our back two. If anything, they are lacking a little in pace, but both are your classic no-nonsense defenders who will be able to deal with all but the best of attacks in this division. Butler is a top find. Good going forward, calm in defence, plenty of pace and a footballing head on his shoulders - really impressed with him so far. Overall then the defence looks fine - I think Cox knows what he's doing in this regard and we'll be tough to beat at the very least.

The midfield too switched in shape. Against Argyle we had both Kellerman and Fenwick behind Young who was pushed behind the striker, but today we started off with Richards and Fenwick in a flat two; perhaps more due to necessity. Given they were playing against some experienced but quality schemers in the middle such as Ryan Harley and Matt Oakley I thought they did well. Both got stuck in a lot, Fenwick especially looks like a really strong signing. He's happy to get involved in the tackle but also passes very well, and sprayed it out wide well for the two wingers. Richards too looked more comfortable and confident than at the end of last season and did alright himself. Shame Kellerman and Young are injured as else I'd be lamenting on how strong our midfield looks, but unfortunately I imagine we'll be looking for someone else to come in and fill the void. Chaney came on in the second half as we moved to a three man midfield, and he assumed the role that Young took last game of playing just in front of the other two. He didn't really have the chance to do anything of note, but ran around a bit and put himself about. Perhaps he'll get a chance before we move to get anyone else in?

On the wings we had the impressive Shephard Murembedzi (who scored the first) and Ryan Brobbel, a Northern Ireland u21 international who spent last year on loan at Hartlepool and had previously played at York. Shephard obviously has a lot of talent and skill, and his confidence shone through taking on his man as much as he could. Delivered the odd decent ball if I remember correctly too, so I'm pretty happy with him. He tried a little too much at times, but as long as he's running players he'll always bring something to the team. The chap on the other wing was good too. He was a right footer playing on the left, so the natural thing to do was for him to cut in and I was worried he was going to be a little too predictable in that regard. However, it was from taking it past the man and standing up a ball at the back post with his wrong foot that our first goal came from, so it looks as though he's got the ability in his locker to mix it up. He was taken off after about an hour and I'd be surprised if that's the last we see of him. Given the fact we're likely looking to whip crosses in I'd rather have a left footer on the left, but regardless I would say this guy is certainly good enough. He took it past his man a couple of times and cut in with some decent passes too. A cut above having Cameron on that wing certainly.

Up front we started with Fairhurst and Briscoe. While they both are no doubt talented players, they both seem very similar in approach. Good with the ball to feet, but don't really have the dynamism, pace or height to really make an impact as a pairing. I could see one partnering another striker, but together it didn't really work. There was the odd nice exchange of passing, but I think we need something else up there. Could Lavelle-Moore be the answer? He came on and scored with his first touch to make the game 2-1, flicking an Exodus throw in past the keeper. It's of course difficult to make decisions on players on the basis of half an hour in a friendly but I must say I thought this guy looked decent. Won a lot in the air (although that wasn't difficult against the two Exeter centre halves) and had a decent touch and pass to other players around him. It's a shame he didn't start this game or come on a bit earlier against Argyle as I'd have liked a better look at him, but he could be the target man we're looking for.

So in summary, pretty good. I thought City looked more dangerous going forward than Argyle, yet will far poorer organised at the back. City will no doubt play better football, but I would put my money on Argyle finishing ahead of them simply because of their strong defence and a reliable goalscorer in Reid. If they tighten up at the back I see no reason City couldn't challenge for the play-offs, but they'll need to improve. A similar finish to last season for them both.

It's a testament then to the job Mr Cox and board have done so far in getting this team to this position, and I think we should approach the coming season with optimism. I think if I had to put my finger on the improvement I've seen from last season it'd be the intensity. We press quickly and we attack more quickly - we look to be a more 'in your face' kind of outfit, and I can see that being more effective.

Keep up the good work sir.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Couldn't get there tonight so thanks for match summary, yellowforever. Gate just short of 1500 - another excellent turnout for a friendly. Let's hope that injuries to Young and Kellerman are not as serious as feared and that Kellerman can return when fully fit because he looked a class player last Tuesday night.

I liked the formation of Fenwick and Kellerman playing behind Young against Argyle. I wonder if Briscoe could play in the 'Young' role in front of Fenwick and Richards? Any thoughts? Also, although difficult to judge from friendlies, Sam Chaney has not looked out of place against league opposition.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Briscoe in the hole is what I was thinking on Tuesday. He clearly is better breaking forward with the ball than battling centre halves for scraps.

It's also nice to hear of us mixing the formation up without things falling apart. There will be times when we need to do this over the course of the season and it shows that Paul Cox has the players well drilled.

Sounds like last night was a good showing from us. Really looking forward to this season now.
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

Extra pre-season friendly fixture at Bideford on Monday evening.

Home to Macclesfield Saturday 8 August 3 pm in our first National League game of the season. Can't wait for the return of the Plainmoor Roar.

And don't forget a small regular donation, whatever you can afford, however small, to the Players' Fund. :-D

:scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf: :scarf:
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Watched the game from Bristows Bench last night, which was a change from my usual spot on the pop side. I must comment on how good the pitch has looked this pre season. It's like a green carpet. Also want to thank the very generous Exeter fan who won £450 on the 50/50 draw and gave back half his winnings to TUFC !
It was interesting to hear how vocal Paul Cox is throughout the game, although I didn't understand much of what he was saying apart from the name of certain players.
taxilady
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Micky Cave RIP
Watches from: Pop side

Post by taxilady »

thought the 50/50 was £ 190 ? Still jolly decent of the Exeter bloke though! My daughter was one number off winning, & said that she would have put some of the money back too !
We'll Be Back ! TTID

TUST share number 066
scottymd12
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: kevin Nicholson

Post by scottymd12 »

Paul cox said that exeter are trying to sign Brobbel now, he came into the gulls nest after the game, he also has another couple of players to look at
goodluckgull
First Regular
First Regular

Post by goodluckgull »

Hey Nina. I expect I misheard the amount and it was £190. I also thought Ryan Brobbel was called Brian !!
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

scottymd12 wrote:Paul cox said that exeter are trying to sign Brobbel now, he came into the gulls nest after the game, he also has another couple of players to look at
When I first read that I was a bit peeved off but on reflection it's probably a good testament to PC's contacts and knowledge.
Or is it a indication of Tisdales lack of close season activity? Can't help feel this just might be Tisdales last season in charge at ECFC, is Steve Perryman still DOF? As long as he is then PT is probably safe.

Feeling a little bit more upbeat now and looking forward to next Saturday, bringing as many as I can bully into traveling lol (5)
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I just feel a tad uncomfortable about this. I have always felt Paul Tisdale has been a superb manager. Exeter City have been absolutely magnificent with their gesture on the gate money and the Exeter fan giving half his draw winning to us exceeded even that word. Brilliant. If however the comment about the Exeter manager publicly eyeing our trialist are correct although I accept it's perfectly fair in terms of football ethics I am not sure it is his finest hour.