Cox Resigns

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

I imagine it will be Dean in charge as he's the DoF and gets to choose what he does.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

I have often wondered why a skint non-league club needed a Director of Football. Particularly one with no football management credibility to speak of. If a salary has been paid for this role, then I remain unconvinced that it represents good value for money. If no money has been paid, I still remain the same.
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

When receiving the shares Phillips and Co had no money or desire to take Club on and just wanted shot of its financial obligations
The problem started when DE decided that with no money and no experience in running a Football Club but an inflated ego decided to take in on and put himself on a 2 year contract and drag in some passionate people with a little money
Paul Cox needed to get back into Football having walked away from a 5 figure salary at Mansfield with no logical reason in doing so
He has not been paid since being at the Club other than expenses
The final straw for him after false promises of a budget that did not exist was earlier this week his pick up truck(provided by sponsor) was taken back and given a 02 car with bald tyres fit only for the scrap yard
The Club is trading insolvent and DE is considering going into admin in order to discharge it creditor liabilties and legal costs circa 80k and taking the points and starting again
Sadly the League will not allow him or anyone assoiciated with such actions taking control
It is with great sadness l do not see the Club playing games in the coming weeks as the Assylum is being run by its inmates
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

mushroom wrote:When receiving the shares Phillips and Co had no money or desire to take Club on and just wanted shot of its financial obligations
The problem started when DE decided that with no money and no experience in running a Football Club but an inflated ego decided to take in on and put himself on a 2 year contract and drag in some passionate people with a little money
Paul Cox needed to get back into Football having walked away from a 5 figure salary at Mansfield with no logical reason in doing so
The final straw for him after false promises of a budget that did not exist was earlier this week his pick up truck(provided by sponsor) was taken back and given a 02 car with bald tyres fit only for the scrap yard
The Club is trading insolvent and DE is considering going into admin in order to discharge it creditor liabilties and legal costs circa 80k and taking the points and starting again
Sadly the League will not allow him or anyone assoiciated with such actions taking control
It is with great sadness l do not see the Club playing games in the coming weeks as the Assylum is being run by its inmates
I'm not saying you're wrong or right but do you have any proof of your accusations and how do you know all this?
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

frenchgull wrote:I have just taken my Torquay United sticker from the back of my car,it's been there for longer than I can remember,I have taken some stick from all around the country but Torquay is my team but now it seems to be the end.The directors are going faster than the animals up to Noah's arc (two ×two) and now the manager that was here for the long haul has resigned after three months, just what is going on!.I have posted that our true position was conference south or whatever it's called now but I never believed we would end up there or even worse.Please can we be told the TRUTH.Supporters have given to the players fund,season tickets,and the Trust.Have we all been taken for a ride.
I can only hope that the team and John Ramshaw have the balls to put this utter catastrophe behind them and stick two fingers up to Paul cox and take three points tomorrow
Like Frenchgull, I have mates who used to be Plainmoor 'regulars' but stopped going to matches several seasons ago as they thought the club was a shambles and a joke. What has happened during the past couple of weeks confirms this in my mind. Of the original 10 in the consortium, 4 (including the vice chairman) have left after only two months for 'personal' or 'business' reasons. For goodness sake, they knew what they were getting into from the beginning. I'm sure there are other reasons to make them jump ship. Now we learn that Paul Cox has been working with no salary and no contract. I did not believe this when smithy1899 posted that several weeks ago. We could all see what a good manager he was so why wasn't a contract drawn up? For hell's sake, how many clubs even at National South or North employ managers with no contracts? We're supposed to be a professional outfit, for goodness sake.

I'm really gutted that Paul Cox has gone. He's an honest guy and a good manager and I was optimistic that he and John Ramshaw would turn our club around. We don't yet know the full facts of course so I'm not going to have a go at anyone, but it seems very strange that Cox decided to jack it in for 'personal reasons' immediately after a meeting with the Director of Football. Another thread is titled 'Can it get any worse? Yes ... '. Well, it really can't get any worse than the state we're in now. We're porbably one rung off the bottom of the ladder. The bottom rung is adminstration. I truly think it's that bad. I have no confidence whatsoever in Dean Edwards being responsible for the picking of the team. He's had no managerial experience. I think our only hope is for John Ramshaw to stay at the club as manager because he knows the players and hopefully prove he can do the job. I would not be surprised to hear in the next couple of days that Josh Carmichael and Joe Quigley have been recalled by Bournemouth. Thankfully, Nathan Smith is here for a longer term. Tonight I feel very, very pessimistic about the future of the club.

Someone else posted that Thea Bristow will bail us out again. I hope she doesn't - it's simply throwing good money after bad.
mushroom

Post by mushroom »

Orange Gull wrote: I'm not saying you're wrong or right but do you have any proof of your accusations and how do you know all this?
Yes l have
Maybe someone should just ask The Board
It is illegal to trade insolvent
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

mushroom wrote:When receiving the shares Phillips and Co had no money or desire to take Club on and just wanted shot of its financial obligations
If your information is correct and it certainly sounds uncomfortably close to the truth, then we are f*cked. Further to my last post, it seems we've already got one foot on the bottom rung ...... administration. I'm certainly not going to put a penny more into the Player Fund until we know where the club is heading and I would strongly advise others on here to do the same.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Having just read every post I agree with those saying that now is not the time for slagging off individuals or creating a poisonous atmosphere at the game tomorrow. Dave Phillips is a thoroughly good guy and a proper Gulls fan. I would hate for anyone to throw abuse at him or any other Board member

Many are right that recent situations have been handled badly in the press. This is clearly an area where the Board could improve. They should remember that Torbay is very parochial and "someone knows someone who heard a bloke who works at Plainmoor say ".

As far as going forward is concerned, Thea may help a little but it seems unfair to ask her to get involved again. Finding a new Manager could well be more problematic. News travels fast of Clubs that are in difficulties so unless new money arrives it may be in-house or a former player. (Nico)

3 points tomorrow is vital and your Club and particularly the players, need your support tomorrow.
stefano
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Don Mills

Post by stefano »

tomogull wrote:
Someone else posted that Thea Bristow will bail us out again. I hope she doesn't - it's simply throwing good money after bad.
Absolutely! She was being taken for a ride as an easy touch before. SG knew what was happening but couldn't say. I hope it isn't as bad as it all sounds. But unfortunately it is. Can the last one out please switch the lights off and close the gate ......
drummergull90
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'Kane

Post by drummergull90 »

I really hope you are making all this up. However you sound like you are in the know.

I have two problems with your post. 1) I find it very difficult to imagine Cox would resign over a car and 2) by posting this you are spreading panic and pessimism which makes it even less likely that people will show up today when the club desperately needs the money.

I cannot fathom the death of our club. Surely there is something we can do?

Added in 6 minutes 29 seconds:
On a separate note I'm confused about the new signing. If Cox has resigned because there's no money then how come we have signed a midfielder who has worked with at Mansfield? That had to be his decision surely?

Added in 1 minute 53 seconds:
On a separate note I'm confused about the new signing. If Cox has resigned because there's no money then how come we have signed a midfielder who has worked with at Mansfield? That had to be his decision surely?
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

The action of the manager texting a journalist to announce his resignation has a certain feel of someone a little peed off with his situation. I wonder if the situation described by 'Mushroom' has a ring of truth to it.

Dean Edwards said something like, when he took over, that having him as a Commercial Manager was like having Jamie Oliver in charge of the cloakroom in a restaurant. With his coaching and managerial credentials (pretty much none to speak of) he is no Jamie Oliver. More a MacDonalds burger flipper and that is now what we have running the club and team.
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Sad to say, but I have a feeling that it may be the end of the road after the match today. I hope I'm wrong.
TUST member 203
LocalGull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Chappell

Post by LocalGull »

:goodpost:
tommyg wrote:Didn't take long for the daggers to come out for Deano. Everyone was patting him on the back a few weeks ago and now he's on the end of a barrage of personal insults when nobody knows the facts. Not saying I do - Edwards may be or may not be responsible for Cox's departure - but a witch hunt isn't going to help.
Added in 10 minutes 6 seconds:
Usual reactionary drivel coming out of a lot of people on here.

No one knows the facts so the gossip mongering starts!

I'm not that upset Cox has gone, he has to take some responsibility for the poor attendances with his brand of football. Absolute long ball merchant and it was terrible to watch.

Why are we still signing players if we're about to fold? The set up is far from ideal but there are a lot more things to go wrong before we get to that stage.

Deano was a hero not so long ago for helping to save the club and now everyone is blaming him and calling him a clown. Take a look at yourselves.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

It's a shock. Not only with PC walking away ("in PC we trust") but realising you do not know who to believe any more. I thought the new board made up of stalwart fans was more credible than the previous incumbent suits (Thea excepted of course). And PC talked so much sense and realism in his short time with us, talked about the future (Steve Breed said he was here for the long term), the youth revival, bringing on the skills of the current young players we have, and rising to the challenge (and, OMG, what a challenge) of ensuring TUFC's survival and long-term future back in the League.

I just don't know.

PC was too good to be true, and through not having a contract or salary, I feel he was abused. When you do something for free, I guess there's a limit to what you can tolerate. PC may feel that he was contributing to the player budget for a while by not taking pay, but if there was no prospect of the situation improving, he'd reached the end of his tether. Maybe he was appointed with the hope that Hargreaves and Hodges would have found other employment by now and be off the payroll, which has turned out not to be the case.

Speculation will continue, and theories will abound. Will we ever get to know the TRUTH? Or will it all be too late? :-/ :-/
TUST member 200 ;-)
divingbboy
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Nicholson

Post by divingbboy »

Since he's been here, Paul Cox has struck me as an honest, decent sort, not prone to bullsh*t and hyperbole. If, as seems to be the case, he texted the Herald to announce his resignation, that has the air of someone very pissed off at the club/board. I fear there's more going on here than simple 'personal reasons'.
Last edited by divingbboy on 19 Sep 2015, 09:46, edited 1 time in total.
TUST member 203