Next Manager- confirmed: Kevin Nicholson

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

We need someone who will be able to keep this squad (+ - a few loan in and out) in this league this season. It is a considerable bigger gamble looking towards Hargreaves (who under similar circumstances could not keep us in the league), Nicholson and Tully than an experienced manager who is battle hardened at this level.
Of course budgets will dictate everything but if there is the option then experience is the obvious one.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Sunnysideup
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: Manse

Post by Sunnysideup »

leetufc wrote: Barring the very recent performance of Hargreaves, I would argue that some of our best seasons over the last two decades have been under the helm of rookie managers - Paul Buckle, Leroy Rosenior and Kevin Hodges.

Yes we have had success under rookie managers, however that came over several seasons. In my opinion, we dont have the time to allow that, and need a "firefighter" that can stabilise us this season.
Apathy Rules...............it's ok though, nobody's that fussed about it........
John Griffett
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Gilbert

Post by John Griffett »

You have to look at what the club can afford vs whats available.

Realisticaly with Paul Cox only having been on expenses, your unlikely to get a well respected or proven manager with experiance.
You are however more likely to get someone who will jump at the chance to enter management, and be willing to do so on the cheap as a way in, with a view to proving himself in an attempt to either get the club to offer a decent package once on more stable footing, or to do well enough to put himself in the shop window so to speak.

I would imagine even with the struggles it has now, that the club will get plenty of applications.

What I would seriously urge the club to do, is stop providing "jobs for the boys", and employ people on what they bring to the table, and not who they know throughout the whole club.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

John Griffett wrote:You have to look at what the club can afford vs whats available.

Realisticaly with Paul Cox only having been on expenses, your unlikely to get a well respected or proven manager with experiance.
You are however more likely to get someone who will jump at the chance to enter management, and be willing to do so on the cheap as a way in, with a view to proving himself in an attempt to either get the club to offer a decent package once on more stable footing, or to do well enough to put himself in the shop window so to speak.

I would imagine even with the struggles it has now, that the club will get plenty of applications.

What I would seriously urge the club to do, is stop providing "jobs for the boys", and employ people on what they bring to the table, and not who they know throughout the whole club.
:goodpost:
WESTWARDGULL
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WESTWARDGULL »

Said during commentary tonight there been 150 odd applications for post and John Ramshaw said he been told by board someone will be in post in 7-10 days.
pinitgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by pinitgull »

will probably be a very small salary with a large bonus for keeping club up. This might mean somebody who has a trouble shooter reputation with experience will be appointed. Young promising managers at lower level might be require a salary and therefore might rule them out.
6667GULL
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: O'KANE

Post by 6667GULL »

We need someone out of the Ian Atkins mould, the best firefighter we ever had.
PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Caldwell

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

The next appointment needs not only to be right but spectacularly "Cyril Knowlesesquely" right or we sleepwalk into oblivion.
lucy6lucy
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Chris Myers

Post by lucy6lucy »

Bloody good luck to you. The club is in shambles.
Lucy
Dockers Pal
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by Dockers Pal »

There are plenty of experienced football managers out there, not currently in a managers job - from half-forgotten premiership managers to Conference North and South Managers wanting their next move. Add in managers from Scotland Wales and maybe Europe and it would appear that we'll be spoilt for choice. But its not like that. Many of the managers not currently managing are people who failed in their last job, but the person we need now has got to have the expertise of turning around a losing team whilst having no money to spend and be prepared to do it for effectively no pay. The club isn't a basket case yet but this next appointment has got to be right.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Having listened to what Steve Breed said on the radio before tonight's match, it seems to me that the club weren't able to offer Paul Cox as lucrative a contract as he'd expected or maybe been initially promised. Therefore, whoever is appointed will have to be willing to accept a minimum contract. Then there's John Ramshaw. He has said that he won't be applying for the manager's post so will he wish to stay at the club as no. 2 and how long will he be prepared to work wihout a contract? Or will the new manager wish to bring in his own assistant? It's all 'ifs and buts', but whatever happens, it's going to involve paying out money. In the pre-match interview tonight, Steve Breed said that the dismissal cases had been resolved and I thought he sort of hinted that Dean Edwards should not have gone to the Press about them the way he did. I also got the impression that the main problem Cox had was with Edwards, rather than the club itself. Did anyone else hear Steve Breed's pre-match interview and pick up anything from what he said?
SenorDingDong
First Regular
First Regular
Favourite player: David Graham

Post by SenorDingDong »

tomogull wrote:Steve Breed said that the dismissal cases had been resolved and I thought he sort of hinted that Dean Edwards should not have gone to the Press about them the way he did.
Which is odd because that news first broke in a video interview presented by Steve Breed himself. Had he not wanted the info out there, it could have been edited out. Does this mean that Hargreaves has settled up as well or just the unfair dismissal cases?
Scott Brehaut
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Scott Brehaut »

I didn't hear the interview, but had heard earlier that Cox had had a falling out with Edwards.

STIP
Friend of torquayfans.com
lucusmc
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by lucusmc »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34333813

So looks like an agreement has been reached to pay Hargreaves off or settle the contract.
Behind-the-Gulls
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Behind-the-Gulls »

Sean North would like the job according to Herald Express.