Next Manager- confirmed: Kevin Nicholson

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Kevin Nicholsons yellow army!
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Dockers Pal
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Chris Hargreaves

Post by Dockers Pal »

I'm sure we could all draw up a list of guys who are current or recent football club managers who have shown the capability of turning around a losing team at conference and higher levels. And we need that experience now.
But if I put myself in their shoes I would need to be paid to do it, and to move to the bay, in order that I put at risk my reputation for the sake of the club - and thats where I find it difficult to imagine the man who would do it.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

arcadia wrote:

I'd like his doctor! :clown:

You NEED his Doctor ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
chestertorkyman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by chestertorkyman »

I am glad that Cox has gone, he had brought in his players but could not motivate them, and despite a full preseason had not managed to install any defensive qualities, strategy or tactics. Who is next? Not Ling, please. We need someone with experience and the ability to motivate - that is the difference between these poor Conference teams. Then we need a coach who can teach these kids how to play as a team. I am no fan of settling for former players, but I have always had a sneaking respect for one ex-player who actually took training when the manager was absent and who has since got some useful experience elsewhere. Alex Russell please. :goal:
Sincerity
Trialist
Trialist

Post by Sincerity »

It's Sean Joyce for me, an ex player, highly respected and a quality person.
He lives locally in Torbay, knows the area and the club very well, plus he has done an incredible job at Bideford for 15yrs, with the smallest budget in the league. He has taken them from the bottom of the western league to the southern premier league on the lowest budget, we are only two divisions above Bideford !!
He knows the south west non league circuit better than anyone and sorry guys we are a non league club.
The current key holders of the club are fans, they love the club and should be applauded for all there hard work.
But why do we need to pay a big salary for someone to come in from out side the area, or bring someone in with zero experience, when we have a guy on our own doorstep, who fits the bill perfectly.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

Can't argue with that ....what does Joyce lack !!! can't think of a lot....
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

not sure if it has been mentioned yet but ling would be open to talks if asked http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34356553
To the dotted line, We're on our way
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

DJ Gull wrote:not sure if it has been mentioned yet but ling would be open to talks if asked http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34356553
It may be said that if Martin Ling was really interested he would have put in an application for the job and it doesn't look as if he's done that. And let's face it, given the poor financial state of the club, what manager worth his salt would take the risk of a job paying less than half the usual wage with a near-zero playing budget?

On the other hand, his health problems are now in the past, he has previously expressed an interest in returning to manage the Gulls, and he's certainly the kind of manager we need, may even be the best of the available bunch, but in his particular case I do feel it's up to the board to approach him for a discussion and make him an offer.

And what a great story it would be if he were to return from the slough of despair to lead us to success..
SuperNickyWroe
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: Andy Provan
Watches from: The sofa

Post by SuperNickyWroe »

Whoever it is I wish them all the best....
Member of the Yorkshire Gulls Supporters Club - Proud Sponsors of Aaron Jarvis 2023-2024
We now drive South to all the games!

TUST Member 468

aggrey_25
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: aggrey

Post by aggrey_25 »

I have sat back and not commented on these Nicholson posts however I cant listen to this anymore.

As someone earlier just mentioned, he has no badges, he has no experience and frankly was a negative player. Yes he is local and yes he will be cheap however at least Hargreaves had his badges and worked as a coach at Bournemouth (He wasn't the answer) so why people think Nicholson would be the answer are deluded and clueless, the type of shambolic appointment which will see us down in the conference south and drop and drop and drop. To get out of the mess we are in we need someone with experience at a certain level or who has been in this situation before.

Same goes for nicholson/mansell or north/nicholson please just take a minute and think about what you are saying!!
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

aggrey_25 wrote:I have sat back and not commented on these Nicholson posts however I cant listen to this anymore.

As someone earlier just mentioned, he has no badges, he has no experience and frankly was a negative player. Yes he is local and yes he will be cheap however at least Hargreaves had his badges and worked as a coach at Bournemouth (He wasn't the answer) so why people think Nicholson would be the answer are deluded and clueless, the type of shambolic appointment which will see us down in the conference south and drop and drop and drop. To get out of the mess we are in we need someone with experience at a certain level or who has been in this situation before.

Same goes for nicholson/mansell or north/nicholson please just take a minute and think about what you are saying!!
I believe he does have his badges.

Listen - I have massive reservations about many of the names being linked currently (Nicholson included) but whoever gets it (whether it is Nicholson, Manse, Joyce, North, Ling, someone else or a unrealistic appointment such as Warnock) they deserve a chance. Things will not improve straight away whoever steps in and if the knives are out for them before they start then the job will only get that much harder.

We all want the same thing so we need to unite across all fronts (as a board, management team, players and fans alike).
TUST member 328
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Surely only Martin Ling can decide whether he feels up to the rigours/trauma of going back into management. We should afford him alone the courtesy of making that decision should the Board approach him.
I beleive he would be great for the post and perhaps his appointment would relight the fire in a few fans bellies.
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

I remember when Exeter appointed Paul Tisdale. It seemed like a gamble bringing in an unproven league manager but his record for Bath Uni was (in hindsight) worth the risk.
I'm sure - and I really do hope - that the board will not take this decision lightly. But even the best and proven managers can be duff appointments. It's got to be the right fit and that includes the relationship with the board. Which it would seem was a factor in Paul Cox abandoning his 'long term' appointment.
It's a thankless task and one that will probably divide the fans but if it proves fruitful, will unite them in the end.
Let's just hope it's not someone out walking his dog!
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Of all the serious names I have seen thus far Sean Joyce seems like the best option for me. What he has done in his fifteen years at Bideford is deserving of a go at a bigger club higher up the ladder. I would be more than happy to get behind him as Gulls manager.
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain

Post by Richinns »

What we also must remember is that we are not interviewing these applicants. We have no insight as to how they perform and what ideas and visions they are portraying to Phillips and Breed. We will have to trust their judgements and hope they come up with the right answer to the question put on them by Cox leaving.
TUST member 328