Next Manager- confirmed: Kevin Nicholson

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Yellows
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Yellows »

Dazza wrote:The Board needs to be brave here and not go for a solution that ignores experience. If we repeat the Hargreaves mistake the core support will disintegrate. Fans need to be convinced by this appointment that better times will eventually arrive.
Not this Season without a cash injection
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

Yells wrote: Not this Season without a cash injection
Assuming that the salaries for Edwards and Hargreaves were budgeted through to the end of the season surely this gives us some cash to put towards paying for a manager?
Gary Johnson's Yellow Army! Yellow Army! Yellow Army!

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
CP Gull

Post by CP Gull »

Still have a sneaky feeling it will be Neil Aspin - which if it is, would be the best we could possibly hope for in our current situation, in my opinion.
Yellows
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Yellows »

Possibly but the budget for Players and Manager is subject to paying Supporters 2000 plus and we will all be happy Gulls otherwise we will be in free fall

Added in 5 seconds:
Possibly but the budget for Players and Manager is subject to paying Supporters 2000 plus and we will all be happy Gulls otherwise we will be in free fall

Added in 1 minute 15 seconds:
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Do we really want to be risking becoming Bath City 2 ? The fans need to be convinced by this appointment that we do mean business. The thinking behind the Cox appointment was excellent - okay it didn't work out - but the philosophy behind it has to remain the same.
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

CP Gull wrote:Still have a sneaky feeling it will be Neil Aspin - which if it is, would be the best we could possibly hope for in our current situation, in my opinion.
I'd be happy with Aspin. So long as he is happy to re-locate, seems to have had a very 'Northern' career to date. His CV reads like a better Sean Joyce.

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

Gullscorer wrote: Well, he's certainly not that bad either, no worse than most of the managers we've had over the past few years. He did take us to the League Two play-offs.

As for not applying for the job, Paul Cox didn't apply, he was approached to discuss the matter before he was signed up. Perhaps the club owes Martin Ling the same courtesy, particularly given the manner of his dismissal last time.

However, the most important consideration is perhaps to employ the man who seems best able to motivate and organise the players already in our squad, given that we can't really afford new signings. Ling is one possibility, Joyce is another, and there may be other possibilities. The question is, who would accept the challenge, given our financial situation and the amount of money we have to offer?
I was under the impression that Cox approached us - not the other way around.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

rosenior???????
PhilGull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by PhilGull »

westyorkshiregull wrote:rosenior???????
Well all his TV work will have been great for expanding his contact book and scouting players. I don't think he has any interest in getting back in the dugout however.

Your trust needs YOU!
TUST number 084
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

Richinns wrote:Announcement Early next week:
https://x.com/brentpilnick/status/64742 ... lang=en-gb
I hope the Board don't rush into making an appointment. Obviously, it would be good to have someone in charge fairly soon but the Board must make sure they're making the right appointment, both financially and someone who is capable of keeping the team in the National League this season.
chestertorkyman
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by chestertorkyman »

Bomber mentioned Alex Russell, who I had flagged up yesterday. Really relevant experience. Only question is whether he can motivate a bunch of spoiled youngsters - an ability which I pointed out back in August appeared to be beyond Mr Cox. Alex Russell - anyone with any views?
Rjc70
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tom Lapslie

Post by Rjc70 »

chestertorkyman wrote:Bomber mentioned Alex Russell, who I had flagged up yesterday. Really relevant experience. Only question is whether he can motivate a bunch of spoiled youngsters - an ability which I pointed out back in August appeared to be beyond Mr Cox. Alex Russell - anyone with any views?
It'll be Aspin. I'm happy with that.

Russell's name, whilst bandied before with no basis, is not the worst shout anymore. Probably not the best shout either.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

tommyg wrote:I was under the impression that Cox approached us - not the other way around.
My understanding is that Dean Edwards and Paul Cox, having known each other for some time, were talking about the situation at Plainmoor following the departure of Chris Hargreaves, and Edwards suggested the possibility of Cox taking on the manager's job:
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Head tells me Neil A. Heart says Sean J. as we always seem to do better under an unproven manager plus, this TUFC.

Guess we will know soon as well as other factors as to why Cox left.
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

We've got to fully support the new manager whoever he is. The most important qualities he will need is to be able to motivate the players we have (for which he will need the right personality) and to have the ability to fully understand the game and to make the right choices in team selection, substitutes, formation and tactics, and last but not least, to have the strong will and assertiveness to ensure the players are fully fit and trained and coached. There may not be a candidate who will fully meet all these criteria, but, taking them all into account, my own feeling is that Sean Joyce with his track record is to be preferred over Kevin Nicholson. Kevin could then take over as manager of Bideford as his first step in management. But what do I know. The club may have somebody completely different on their list who trumps them all..