Next Manager- confirmed: Kevin Nicholson

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Sesimbra
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sam Collins

Post by Sesimbra »

This must be the most uninspiring and abject appointment given over 100 applied for the post. Has nothing been learnt from the Hargreaves fiasco?. Surely there are many out of work managers with experience who would be glad to return to managership at a 'discounted' salary (Ling). The obvious role for Nicholson is as an assistant manager to get the necessary experience. I wonder what contacts he has in the game seeing that he has been with Torquay most of his career.
I hope that in three months time I am not posting the 'fit for purpose' question again.
Dave_Pougher
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Mansell

Post by Dave_Pougher »

Disagree with the appointment 100%
Mr Nicholson has my support 110%

Hope it works out for him and us though.

PS. If you promise not take the corners Kev I'll up my support 120%
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

Dave_Pougher wrote:Disagree with the appointment 100%
Mr Nicholson has my support 110%

Hope it works out for him and us though.

PS. If you promise not take the corners Kev I'll up my support 120%
This pretty much sums it up for me. What's done is done, have to look forward now.

I'll still be there Saturday.
tufc si
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by tufc si »

I feared an appointment like this, and I do sincerely hope this isn't us throwing in the towel already, looking to the future, and building for conference south football next year.

Nico comes across as a really nice chap too, I just hope he has the backbone to do the nasty side of management and has learnt from Jesus' mistakes. Who knows though, football is a funny old game and this appointment could turn out to be the best decision we have ever made, maybe!

In Nico we trust :bow: :bow: :bow:
PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: David Caldwell

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

Just at the moment the club needed to ensure its head ruled its heart it capitulated and made the most "hit and hope" appointment in its history.

All well and good posters criticising negativity on here but is our position so bad that the support has lost its right to record it's horror? You'd think it was our fault we are where we are...this is all we can do

Yes we will continue to go; yes Kevin will have our unfailing vocal support but what is there to provide hope in this appointment other than blind hope itself? in what areas did Nicholson outscore Joyce? Surely both would have been inexpensive but one has managerial credentials and a proven track record - at least there's some logic there.

By the way, Kevin the player is a concern in itself.

Beginning to get fed up of being told to shut up and be grateful ; somebody else knows best just keep handing over your admission and stop expecting better for the club!!! as if none of this concerns us - never felt more like turnstile fodder. If you were hoping to create a nostalgic feelgood factor guys you just blew it!
Alley
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Alley »

I would just like to say I was surprised at Nico being appointed manager but I feel we as Torquay fans need more than ever to get behind him and our young team who as we all know are not paid a lot and any of the loan players who don't get paid by us, we have struggled this season but we need to stay strong and will the manager and team to turn it around at the end of the day we all want Nico to be successful because if he is it will mean the team will be so let's turn out in force on Saturday and show the football world Torquay Utd are alive and kicking good luck to Nico and all our players
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

Well put, Alley.

See you on Saturday
PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

Haven't really seen anything but the supporters getting behind the young team - but as I keep saying let's not patronise the players and the manager into relegation and oblivion by not registering our displeasure when choices are blatantly misguided and performances unacceptable - these are all still professionals after all - this "go easy on them guys, they've had it tough" really gets my goat

It's beginning to feel like Stockholm syndrome round here!

WE ARE ALLOWED TO WANT BETTER AND NOT EXPECT TO BE PATRONISED INTO BELIEVING SOME DECISIONS WERE THE ONLY SENSIBLE CHOICE AVAILABLE!
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

Agree totally..Well.said Bob.
PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

All I want is for somebody to start taking some bloody responsibility!

None forthcoming from the bench v Bromly.

None evident on the pitch v Boreham Wood.

These are not financial issues , they are issues of approach and character.

I see the Nicholson appointment as a " patsy" - think John major getting the Tory job way back. It's the same thing.

This is a forum - the purpose of which is open debate. Once inside Plainmoor, the team and management gets my unquestioning support (not unconditional however - I reserve the right to say if nobody is trying to get the game by the balls) but don't question my loyalty because I express deep concerns about decisions made that threaten the existence of something I love.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

PlainmoorB0b wrote:

I see the Nicholson appointment as a " patsy" - think John major getting the Tory job way back. It's the same thing.
Let's hope so- John Major went on to win the next election :nod:
gateman49
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: George McBrearty

Post by gateman49 »

To relieve the tension...

....currently the BBC web page for our league is showing Toddy and Nicco in old club shirts

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/conference
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

"what areas did Nicholson outscore Joyce?"

Good point and IF and its a big IF Joyce wanted the job under exactly the same terms it would be interesting to know the reasons.

I don't think we actually do know 100% that Joyce was in the frame. ok some posters on here said so but I don't believe all that is written on here. The guy who predicted it was Nico, ok could have had insider info or it was just a lucky guess, how can any of us be sure, I don't know the guy.

But, I guess we will never know the answer, but I agree it does seem odd, as Joyce at least does have experience.
TUST MEMBER
PlainmoorB0b
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by PlainmoorB0b »

Haha Jerry! Very good point!!

But long term was no more than an acceptable face and a nice guy - in terms of his party he was a dad man walking.

I hope poor Kevin hasn't naively allowed himself to be thrust centre stage to choruses of " yay it's that nice bloke from the glory days!" Only to remember that he had only ever managed a team on FIFA and had the assembled might of the Peanuts gang at his disposal.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

RichyMills wrote: See, it's not all bad
Yes, it could have been Evans and joined-at-the-hip-Raynor. Grrrrrr! :-o
TUST member 200 ;-)