Ideas from supporters To Help Torquay United.

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
MF68
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by MF68 »

Friday and Saturday night games are always stopped by the Police.
I have two ideas .................
a) Play the National League on a Sunday......................not so much to contend with.......shopping, local football etc
b) Board are you listening ?? Challenge the National League hierachy to swap midweek games to nights when the Champions League games are on the TV, whether it is SKY, BT or terrestrial.

Any thoughts anyone?
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

I don't know why the police should stop Friday/Saturday night games. When the majority of teams bring down less than a 100 fans, I see no threat to the Bay. This could also be a temporary measure for one season to see how it goes.

If we got back in the league, a switch back to Saturday afternoons would make more sense but right now we need to get people into Plainmoor and along with poor football, competing with shopping and local football is not going to help.

I think given the choice of standing in the cold watching Torquay versus staying in and watching Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Real Madrid, PSG, Milan etc the vast majority of supporters are going to opt for the Champions League on the TV regardless of what channel it's on.
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
Kit_robin
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Kit_robin »

It's not just us, though, it's the opposition too. We asked Grimsby to swap to a Friday night and they weren't very happy. Also the national league apparently frowns upon games being moved about in the schedule on a regular basis.

All discussed by Steve at the fans forum last week.
Burnhamgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Burnhamgull »

Narrow minded view then by the Conference...

How about the first friend accompanying any ST holder to a game gets in for £10. Every subsequent friend at the same game gets in for £8.

How about Ladies day, every woman over 18 gets in free as long as they're accompanied by a paying male?

Kids for a quid (Bateson's idea, I can't take the credit)
TUFC never fails to let its fanbase down.

27/08/18 - Time to step back from this shambles and focus on things in life that make me happy. TUFC doesn't.
gullsgalore
New Signing
New Signing
Favourite player: Jack

Post by gullsgalore »

"Walsham Le Willows Football Club gives eggs to fans"
see: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-34453434

Now this is the sort of innovative-thinking we need from the new Torquay board :)

Plus.., "Last year, Bungay Town gave out punnets of mushrooms in a similar ploy to tempt fans during the international break".

Crikey, if you went to both games you'd have the key ingredients for a nice omelette!
tommyg
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by tommyg »

In an effort to enhance the 'match-day experience', the club could invite former players/managers back as a special guest for the day. They could have a Q&A style event before a home game - say 1-2pm - where they talk about their time at Torquay and answer questions from fans. Could section off a part of Boots & Laces (or whatever it's called these days) like at the fans' forum. Have a raffle for a few signed items, photo opportunities etc.

I always enjoy listening/reading what former players have to say about the club. I'm an exile so struggle to get to many home games but if the club said a Rodney Jack or Alex Russell for example was going to be at Plainmoor for an event like this then I'd make an extra effort to get down there. The reason some fans don't turn up is because they don't think the product on the pitch is value for money and it just makes them miserable if we don't play well and lose. If you promoted an event like this before the match, then at least people who attend can say they enjoyed part of their day even if the football is crap.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Thats a great idea, a lot of bigger clubs have ex players etc doing ambassadorial roles, speaking and tours etc. I reckon an occasional guest appearance meet and greet, q & a, presentation etc would be really good. There must be a few good ex players still local or have ties to the area who wouldnt mind kicking this sort of thing off to see how it goes.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

I wonder in these hard times if trying to raise money with a sponsored walk will raise much, maybe a better idea to use it to raise money for a good cause.. this in turn will generate more publicity for the football club if they support it by making the players turn up.. and possibly even do the walk themselves..The public will see it hopefully on TV if anyone does their marketing job properly and the Torquay public will then think.. hey this lot are helping the community. lets go support them at the next match. only my opinion.
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

chunkygull wrote:Thats a great idea, a lot of bigger clubs have ex players etc doing ambassadorial roles, speaking and tours etc. I reckon an occasional guest appearance meet and greet, q & a, presentation etc would be really good. There must be a few good ex players still local or have ties to the area who wouldnt mind kicking this sort of thing off to see how it goes.
What's Deano Edwards up to these days?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jools Holland

Post by BayGull »

ferrarilover wrote:
What's Deano Edwards up to these days?
Matt.
He's taken up cooking!! http://www.deanedwards.co.uk/ :lol:
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Well, someone made a suggestion on another thread which is for ideas to help the club about doing something just like this, so if a REAL, ACTUAL "legendary" ex player is offering to do this sort of thing then I couldnt think of a better way to start.
Postby tommyg » 21 Oct 2015, 12:11
In an effort to enhance the 'match-day experience', the club could invite former players/managers back as a special guest for the day. They could have a Q&A style event before a home game - say 1-2pm - where they talk about their time at Torquay and answer questions from fans. Could section off a part of Boots & Laces (or whatever it's called these days) like at the fans' forum. Have a raffle for a few signed items, photo opportunities etc.

I always enjoy listening/reading what former players have to say about the club. I'm an exile so struggle to get to many home games but if the club said a Rodney Jack or Alex Russell for example was going to be at Plainmoor for an event like this then I'd make an extra effort to get down there. The reason some fans don't turn up is because they don't think the product on the pitch is value for money and it just makes them miserable if we don't play well and lose. If you promoted an event like this before the match, then at least people who attend can say they enjoyed part of their day even if the football is crap.
Are you reading this TUFC?
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).