Nicholson NOT Out

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
torq2u
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Ken Sandercock
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by torq2u »

torq2u wrote:"Heard something said by the commentators today which I've heard many times before re; other managers, you can't blame Nicho they said, he didn't sign these players, he hasn't got his own squad"

If Nicho's signing of Andre Wright is anything to go by, gawd help us. I'll happily buy him a single train ticket to The Hawthorns.

And as for Sean Finch - he dipped out of some of the warm-up exercises and made precious little impact - no wonder he got the bird yesterday.
Mind you, I admit he did inherit Hesflop.
TUST member 200 ;-)
Bloggy
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Lee Mansell

Post by Bloggy »

Argos? I thought it was bought of some bloke down the pub...
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

Was it a basics white label TV ? :)

This is a relevant and appropriate thread , why can't fan discuss the relative merits of the manager, or whether he should stay in his job. I fully get Dave SG point, I understand the club is having to live in the black now, so it can only spend what it earns, so talk of boycott's are misguided indeed.

I will carry on going to the games regardless, but my concerns are growing by the day. I hoped Kevin Nicholson would be different, I hoped him coming back as a manager would see a change in heart regards his playing career, but it hasn't, he was too slow 18 months ago, against Wrexham he was almost immobile, to the point Smith had to act as his carer.

Kevin Nicholson's big sound bite of couple of weeks ago was, this team wasn't fit enough, we've had to have another pre-season, seriously, what a complete load of utter ballocks, I've seen every home match and Eastleigh away, under Cox this team never gave up, even 3.0 down at Eastleigh they ran and ran from 0-90 minutes, and Nicho tells us this team wasn't fit .

A friend of mine tells me the Friday morning before the Wrexham he was in winners gym Newton abbot, and TUFC squad was in there doing circuit training, 24 hrs before a match, what type hair brained management is that, there's a reason why an athlete wouldn't do such training a day before a race.

It's about getting the best out of what you do have, and to me, that's not happening. No the club can't afford to replace Nicho, but they are in serious danger of losing the goodwill of the remaining fans, again silence is golden, the club can't afford to do nothing.

I would suggest they force Nicho to accept some help, the club needs to bring in someone with experience to oversee things and guide Nicho until the end of the season, yes it might cost, but a one off cost that may well pay for itself.

Added in 10 minutes 42 seconds:
Just to add, players at all levels still being asked to run and run and run in training in December will look at the manager and coach and think these two are complete cocks. If you're still doing fitness with the squad "stop" and now, it's seriously no wonder why our team look a dejected unhappy bunch right now.

I already know one of our top ranking players is looking for way out, won't name him however.
Formerly known as forevertufc
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

Hindsight
Hindsight
Richinns wrote:Very easy to play the blame game but (as a fan base) we must take some part in this. At the time of the appointment of Knill popular opinion (myself included) wanted Knill in ahead of Ling. I realise this was not universal but the vast majority agreed with this so I do not blame them for this decision as it was what their paying public wanted at the time.

What I cannot forgive is the fact the club (old regime) allowed this opinion to be created by viscous rumours (re Lings absence and the alcoholic tag that he had been given). A truly cowardly and deceitful way of behaving. What's more - if the board had not be so cloak and dagger in the way they announced the financial situation at the club then action could have been taken (and an understanding from the fans) which could have stopped the never ending downward spiral the club has suffered and continues to suffer.

Sacking managers costs money and Dave is right when he poses the question as to what this has actually achieved other than further damage?
Attachments
Capture.PNG
BayGull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Jools Holland

Post by BayGull »

madgull wrote:Right, seeing as no one is listening to SG, I'll lay this out very simply:

You have £50 in the bank, this is all of your money in the world, and you need a new television. You spend on a TV from Argos.

Skip forward a few months. You do not have any money as you spent it all on the TV from Argos.

You decide that you no longer like your television. (For the sake of argument it's out of the warranty so no refund.)

CAN YOU AFFORD TO BUY A NEW TELEVISION??????????????? :@
It would have to be longer than a few months .. at least 12 months or possibly three years which is the length of the warranty I got on my £50 TV from Argos.
And if you dropped something on the top of it you could probably claim on your contents insurance as well.

Hope this helps!! :clap:
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

I think we bought an analogue cathode ray tubed TV with a dodgy Horizontal hold. The kind of telly that needs a bit of bang now and then.

I can still remember the 55" curved Smart TV that we traded in for the above!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
gullintwoplaces
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Mark Loram

Post by gullintwoplaces »

kevgull wrote:I think we bought an analogue cathode ray tubed TV with a dodgy Horizontal hold. The kind of telly that needs a bit of bang now and then.

I can still remember the 55" curved Smart TV that we traded in for the above!
So now we're on previous TVs! After we had our reliable TV stolen by robbers from Bristol when we were on a weekend break in Manchester a few years ago, we bought a replacement and very reliable TV that served us well. Sadly, when the reliable TV broke down, we didn't try to mend it, we were persuaded to buy a new one that gave a good picture for a few weeks, but the picture soon began to go fuzzy, the sound went and we had to trade it in. The next TV was the Smart TV that you referred to, a 3D model that turned out to be useless for the programmes we had available but might have been capable of temporary retuning. So we replaced it with a cheap TV that doesn't work.
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

Moral of the story being you should keep the tv you have? ;-)
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com
Modgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Alex Russell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by Modgull »

yellowsmiffy wrote:Without new owners and a Micky Adams, getting rid of Nicholson is not going to happen and would be a disaster.
I don’t think it is fair to blame Nicholson and to create a thread regarding his sacking. It would be equally appropriate to have a ‘Heslop Out’ thread, or any of the other players who have failed to perform. It’s not just the manager’s fault and it will take more than just a manager to fix it. We were appalling before Nicholson arrived, and we are appalling now under Nicholson. I think Nicholson has the makings of a good manager. Unfortunately I’m wondering if this bunch of players are effectively un-coachable as a unit, due to a mix of lack of experience, ability and confidence.

I also think that just as Nico was getting the team playing with more solidity and confidence, key individuals massively let him down through suspensions (Marsh, Hurst and Smith), leaving the team short in key areas and a return to low morale after poor results. That spell was crucial and I think we would have kicked on slightly had those players played in those games.

Don’t get me wrong, I question Nico’s decision to play himself ahead of Butler and not to focus on managing from the sidelines – however I don’t rate our wide players and I don’t think Nico dropping himself would see much more quality enter the side. It’s a shame Briscoe seems to be resigned to life at a lower level of football, as we could really do with a half decent left winger (which he could be if he got fit and applied himself). Nico’s experience in the starting 11 is valuable and this side is incredibly inexperienced. Some would argue this, but it’s different having experience on the pitch than just having experience on the touchline.

We’re just a classic case of a relegation side that are severely lacking confidence and morale is just at an all-time low. If Nico had started the season in the summer with these players, we may just be doing alright. Hindsight is great, and Hargreaves may well have had us in a slightly better position without the expenses of his own sacking. I would not have advocated Hargreaves’s sacking if I had known that we would put him and Hodges on gardening leave.

All in all, getting rid of a manager and causing more unrest and more change to a fragile squad is not going to do the club any favours. The club is quickly sinking and money is the only thing that can stop it in my opinion. If we survive this season, we’ll be ok as a club. Get relegated and any low is possible.
Good post :goodpost:

Some pertinent, concrete comments instead of someone trying to be clever with TV analogies!
Phil

Remember its a marathon not a sprint
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

madgull wrote: You have £50 in the bank, this is all of your money in the world, and you need a new television. You spend on a TV from Argos.
Er ...... can you tell me the page number of the Argos catalogue that the fifty quid tellys are on, please ? :whistle:
Gullscorer
Legend
Legend

Post by Gullscorer »

I no longer liked my television, so I simply stopped watching it. Then I realised it was no longer economically viable, and decided to sell it. But nobody was interested in buying an old black and white TV on its last legs. Couldn't even give it away, since nobody was prepared to pay the licence fee to watch a load of rubbish. So I put it on gardening leave, until the licence fee gobbled up my last £50.

So now I have a worthless television which nobody watches and nobody wants to own, and I cannot afford to keep it for future use. My only option is to have it (and the stand) dismantled and sold for scrap, a process known as asset-stripping.. :(
DJ Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by DJ Gull »

Could we move on to ovens next? Mine went pop last night :-/
To the dotted line, We're on our way
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

My ovens got a light, possibly better viewing these days!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Glostergull
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by Glostergull »

Postby Kit_robin » 14 Dec 2015, 17:49

Let's expand your analogy to make it a little bit more relevant.

You have £50 in the bank. You buy a television from Argos for £50. To pay for your television, you let 10 members of your family come round and watch the sport for £1 each (£10 an event).

After the first event you realise your television is effing rubbish, your family are angry and resentful at having to pay a pound to watch it and a couple of them decide not to come again, even though you tell them it will be ok and get better.

After another week even more of your family don't turn up. Suddenly, all that money you banked on you realise you won't be able to get because your television is rubbish.

So what do you do? You buy a television that is fit
for purpose and write off the initial expense, as your future income depends on it and who knows, if it's a really good television your family might tell other people, and you may even recoup some of your initial outlay. But at least you won't have just chucked £50 down the toilet.

Right i will spell it out for you too. Your won version is rubbish. why. because you have failed the initial exercise of simple arithmetic.
If you initially had £50 in the bank and it would buy a TV. then it suggests that $50 is what a TV costs.
Your outlay having been spent you now only have 0 in the bank. get it. so you in your own words said charge your own family £1 each to come round and watch, that's £10 for the one event. get it.. the one event. then you suggested that you found the TV unfit for purpose and lets say 4 drop out. so you only get £6 from the second event. so far all you have recouped is £16. but still your TV is unfit for purppose. and you lose even more of those people so lets say you only recoup £4 from the third event. because another 2 have dropped out. you only have 4 people to carry on watching. so the third event is now only going to attract £4 at most. so by the third event all you have in the bank is £20 even allowing for no one dropping out on the fourth event all you will have is £24 in the account. this is still not enough to replace the TV with as the cheapest is £40. and that will not buy a TV which will attract as many people to watch it as its not such a good one. Have I made my point yet., gee some of you really take the biscuit. ooh no you don't. cos we can't afford biscuits with the tea any more
Always Look on the bright side of life

Check out my poems topic... http://www.torquayfans.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4843
Fantasia
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Fantasia »

Your family would like to watch television. The previous one is broken. You have enough money to buy a basic set for them, which you do.
It is not a top of the range t.v., but it is better than nothing.
Your family complains about the television even though they would not have had one without you.

So should you just have told them to do without and kept the £50 for something else?
Or gone into debt because your family had unrealistic expectations?
Or suggested they travel to the nearest city which had a t.v. they could watch?

Surely this analogy is a little more relevant.