Nicholson NOT Out

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: david graham

Post by chunkygull »

Alpine Joe wrote:'Lingy Vision' fine for some,
But others want the Ginger one,
TV Repairman Knill for hire,
That'll leave us in the mire.

The picture's worse, a massive bill,
Thanks TV Repairman Knill.
We're out of cash, your work was poor,
Our telly's bust, now there's the door.

'KEV TV' our final bet,
A local reconditioned set.
It's hardly costing us a bean,
The other choice? A big blank screen !
Absolutely brilliant after all the tv analogies. Love it. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Laughed myself silly, wife looking at me strangely as I cant really explain it. :rofl:

Made my day......... Until I go and watch Star Wars in 3d later that is. £22 for me, wife and lad. Much better value than watching TUFC these days and wasting almost double that price. :whistle:
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
sevilla66
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Martin Rice

Post by sevilla66 »

Whilst no one is happy to see a man lose his job just before Christmas, Nicholson must be removed from his position as a matter of urgency if we are to have any reasonable chance of avoiding relegation. The Board must then appoint a new manager on the basis of merit and a proven track record to date rather than parachuting in yet another so called "club legend", particularly one who proclaims that he is probably the best man for a job that he has always coveted. There are plenty of out of work managers who, I feel, would be prepared to work on a results driven basis in view of our precarious financial situation. To persist with the status quo will almost certainly bring about the end of the Gulls as a professional club
WESTWARDGULL
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by WESTWARDGULL »

After some of the stuff posted tonight, Kev, if you are reading this, if you didn't know exactly what was going on off the field I feel sorry for you. I am sure you will make a decent manager in time, and the team has improved a bit since you got here, but do you really want to blot your managerial CV with this, through the balls ups and incompetance of people who claim they love the club and are in it for no other reason then TUFC. If you did know ahout it all, you got some balls still wanting to take ot on mate.
RussianGull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by RussianGull »

Is there any indication what sort of contract Nicholson has come in on?
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

These are the only two successful promotion winners, they are Ex-Players? No none Torquay players have won any titles as far as I can see? Correct me if I am wrong.

John Impey
Football League Fourth Division Play-off Winners: 1990/91

Paul Buckle
Conference Premier: Play-off Winners (1): 2008–09

sevilla66 wrote:Whilst no one is happy to see a man lose his job just before Christmas, Nicholson must be removed from his position as a matter of urgency if we are to have any reasonable chance of avoiding relegation. The Board must then appoint a new manager on the basis of merit and a proven track record to date rather than parachuting in yet another so called "club legend", particularly one who proclaims that he is probably the best man for a job that he has always coveted. There are plenty of out of work managers who, I feel, would be prepared to work on a results driven basis in view of our precarious financial situation. To persist with the status quo will almost certainly bring about the end of the Gulls as a professional club
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

With no disrespect to John Impey I never really count that 91 team as his, it was Dave Smiths (with a smattering of Cyril Knowles previous team), the side accrued loads of wins and points under him earlier in the season and the football was brilliant, a few injuries to players, a drop in form and something behind the scenes saw Smith sadly leave. We limped over the finish line that season just scraping into the play offs, although we were decent in the 3 play off matches so I cant take that away from Impey, especially the memories it has given us, the like of which has been few and far between.
You are my torquay, my only torquay, you make me happy when skies are grey, you'll never know, just, how much i love you, so don't take my torquay away.
(laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la, - laa, laa, - laaaa, - la, la. - la,la,la,la,la, - la,la,la,la....).
davidcaldwell123
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Marl Loram

Post by davidcaldwell123 »

Yes you are correct, that time was the most successful overall I think, even the team I played in was unlucky not to go up against a star studded Swansea team that went on to greater things. We had fans celebrating on the team bus on the way home from Bristol City as they missed their coach, there was a great buzz about then, its miles away from where it is now, Cyril was a great manager!!!!
chunkygull wrote:With no disrespect to John Impey I never really count that 91 team as his, it was Dave Smiths (with a smattering of Cyril Knowles previous team), the side accrued loads of wins and points under him earlier in the season and the football was brilliant, a few injuries to players, a drop in form and something behind the scenes saw Smith sadly leave. We limped over the finish line that season just scraping into the play offs, although we were decent in the 3 play off matches so I cant take that away from Impey, especially the memories it has given us, the like of which has been few and far between.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

davidcaldwell123 wrote:These are the only two successful promotion winners, they are Ex-Players? No none Torquay players have won any titles as far as I can see? Correct me if I am wrong.

John Impey
Football League Fourth Division Play-off Winners: 1990/91

Paul Buckle
Conference Premier: Play-off Winners (1): 2008–09
Leroy Rosenior
chunkygull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by chunkygull »

davidcaldwell123 wrote:Yes you are correct, that time was the most successful overall I think, even the team I played in was unlucky not to go up against a star studded Swansea team that went on to greater things. We had fans celebrating on the team bus on the way home from Bristol City as they missed their coach, there was a great buzz about then, its miles away from where it is now, Cyril was a great manager!!!!
Gets me all misty eyed talking about the 87/88 team, my first proper season,(12/13 years old), still my favorite team. That Swansea team were nowhere near the top and shot up late on in the season, but yes they did have a bit of a line up, we still have the programmes from both legs. I was looking at it the other day whilst looking for pics for my TUFC collage project (finished and ready, finally). Looking through the history like that, even the bad or average times it makes all the recent times feel even more upsetting as to where we have got to.
SteveDeckchair
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Sir Alex Russell
Watches from: Pop side

Post by SteveDeckchair »

Some interesting views on this thread.

I know we were a load of old gash at that time, but I wonder if any of the posters might be a little more understanding and considerate with their views next time a similar situation arises.....

And it will happen again at some point!
Mmmmmm, beeeeeeeer.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

The biggest shock this year is Danny Willet winning the Masters. Skybet 50/1
This will be eclipsed by Leicester winning the Premiership. Skybet 5000/1
We might be next, if we survive the drop. Skybet 20/1
Rotherham have also turned their season around.

I still believe that the appointment of KN was a massive risk considering the position we were in. However occasionally miracles do happen, so perhaps we deserve a little success after the crap we have had to put up with over the last couple years!
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
Dave
Legend
Legend

Post by Dave »

"but I wonder if any of the posters might be a little more understanding and considerate with their views next time a similar situation arises..... "

No, absolutely no chance of that happening. The reason, us supporters of Torquay United are no different the supporters of any other football, you don't become a football fan your born one, and we all, no matter what club you support are bred to think the same way.

We can do a simple exercise for the proof, just trawl through any fans forum, of any relegation threatened club, and you'll see the same threads, with the same content of posts, just written by different people, with different usernames. At a lose end the other day, so sat down and watched Villa v Chelsea, being honest don't think I've ever heard such a toxic atmosphere from the home support of a struggling club, and my first question to the Villa fans would have been, how on earth do expect your players to function playing in such an atmosphere, but I understand it, as fans their hurting, just as we were, but of course at a much different level.

Us football fans want to our clubs to be successful within our levels, when things are going wrong we shout, scream, moan and complain, that's football. never been any different, just didn't see so much of it before the internet was invented.

The vast majority of these posts were not anti Kevin Nicholson, they were more reflective of where are club was and the direction it seemed to be going in, Nicho knew what he was taking on, and walking into, Nicho said it himself a number times , he had to win the fans confidence.

Personally I'm thankful to Kevin Nicholson, for not giving up, for having a plan, sticking to it, and it seems whilst we're not guaranteed yet, his plan to keep the club in the NL premier is going to work against all the odds.

Nicho will deserve 100 % praise and credit, along with his staff and players for that, and will get when survival is confirmed. But the job is by no means done, Nicho will have to take the club on a step, and build a team capable of, competing solidly in the upper half of this division, other wise some fans, will turn on him again, I'll guarantee it now.
Formerly known as forevertufc
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

forevertufc wrote: But the job is by no means done, Nicho will have to take the club on a step, and build a team capable of, competing solidly in the upper half of this division, other wise some fans, will turn on him again, I'll guarantee it now.
Yes - you're absolutely right. This 'Nicholson Out' thread was started in mid-December. Four months is a long time in football.
Clive Bissel
Reserve Player
Reserve Player

Post by Clive Bissel »

Yes and the hard facts are even up to the middle of Feb it was true and the point I was making was that in the brutal real world and in most other footballing clubs he would of been out .

No ones more happy as a fan of too many years to remember who has travelled up and down the country following the club .

But its still painful to see how far we have sunk in recent years but here's hoping the we have sunk this season as low as we will ever go .
Southampton Gull
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin

Post by Southampton Gull »

The point is it was never Nicholsons fault.
Dave

Friend of TorquayFans.com