Briscoe Terminated

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Eddy - you are bumming me out. Club are working hard to get the right people in. We don't need a left back as if we sign a midfielder (which I belive will be the next addition) then Butler can drop back to his natural position with Nicho as adequate back-up.

Added in 2 minutes 42 seconds:
With Briscoe gone we need a wide man to replace him and a central midfielder to replace Heslop.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

On his day he was a match winner and I wish him well. However his injury record wasn't brilliant and he 'rested' in games so he wasn't likely to be saving us from the drop. He was just a big bloke and personally I think a lot of the nasty remarks were totally uncalled for. So was Neville Southall and to me he was a legend.
SBP
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by SBP »

On his day he was a match winner?? Not sure I agree with that Dazza. How many games did he win for us?? I cant remember any. In fact I wonder just how many games he actually lasted the full 90 min? Cant remember too many of them to be fair.

Of course I wish him well, he did have ability and he did show flashes of it but Im glad to see the back of him to be honest.
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

SBP wrote:How many games did he win for us?? I cant remember any
Barnet last season (on the TV) without a shadow of a doubt - he was outstanding that day.

But I'm in the camp that aren't too fussed to see the back of him. Clearly had quality on the ball, but he was just so inconsistent and went missing for far too long far too often.

We weren't getting value for money out of him, so lets hope the chunk of wages available can be used for better purposes
DevonYellow
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Jean Pierre-Simb

Post by DevonYellow »

Disgraceful a professional footballer can allow himself to be in such poor shape. Good riddance.
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

Dazza wrote:On his day he was a match winner and I wish him well. However his injury record wasn't brilliant and he 'rested' in games so he wasn't likely to be saving us from the drop. He was just a big bloke and personally I think a lot of the nasty remarks were totally uncalled for. So was Neville Southall and to me he was a legend.

Hardly the same 1) Southall was a keeper, so not required to run around for 90 minutes 2) he was bloody brilliant. If Briscoe was bloody brilliant, no one would criticise his size, he isn't, and his lack of fitness is a big part of why,, so they can, and do.
tomogull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Colin Bettany

Post by tomogull »

He sometimes promised much, but rarely delivered. Maybe he'd be a good player if matches were 30 minutes each way as he never lasted a full 90 minutes. He was handy to have as a bench warmer (when he declared himself fit), but I'm not sorry to see him go ...... as long as we bring in someone to replace him who can show more commitment.
eddyh
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Jason Fowler

Post by eddyh »

Richins- we are saying the same thing. We need a midfielder and someone else to play left back which could come from signing a winger Although I thought Butler left massive holes behind him when he played at the back and looks better further forward. I still think we need a decent keeper as for all his promise, lavercome costs us a lot of points through his inexperience
midtable
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Brian Wilson

Post by midtable »

A decent player but clearly carrying an injury which is why he could not last 90 minutes. Good luck to him in the future. Remember his wages are considered low at other non-league clubs so no one at Torquay should ever be branded greedy. Unless, of course you seriously believe Luke Young should have abandoned his contract at the beginning of the season after his serious injury.
yellowforever
Skipper
Skipper
Favourite player: Our next signing

Post by yellowforever »

Not going to lie, the title amused me a lot. I can just imagine Nicholson being told he needs to get rid of some players before he can bring in another, and turning to Briscoe like this ten minutes later.

On a more serious note it's probably a good move. Talented as he may be, you can't have expensive passengers like him in a relegation battle.
"We are now so far up sh*t creek our boat is actually poking out the end of someones toilet bowl."
Brucie. 27/02/14
pinitgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by pinitgull »

That will be the Lavercombe fee paid to Briscoe then....

I have my concerns about the people running this club. Why didn't they get him out on loan if they wanted to free up some money!!

Added in 4 seconds:

I have my concerns about the people running this club. Why didn't they get him out on loan if they wanted to free up some money!!
Kernowgull
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Kernowgull »

pinitgull wrote:That will be the Lavercombe fee paid to Briscoe then....

Added in 4 seconds:

What? They've free'd up allegedly a grand a week, and you're complaining? That's at least 1 decent player in exchange for one who has never performed, if not 2 or 3.

Who would want him on loan that would pay enough towards his wages to make it worthwhile? Maybe he wanted out and has agreed to terminate for 1 or 2 months salary. Maybe he has fixed up another club and left for free. Maybe he wants to be a car salesman. All of those are more likely than us paying up his contract in full. If we'd paid his contract up in full, we would have just kept him on until the end of it, surely.
ferrarilover
Legend
Legend
Favourite player: You'll find out ;-)

Post by ferrarilover »

pinitgull wrote:That will be the Lavercombe fee paid to Briscoe then....

Added in 4 seconds:

I have my concerns that Torquay United seem to have attracted yet another stupid 'supporter' with a mouth much bigger than his brain.

Where do you lot keep coming from? Is there a farm where you're bred and released periodically into society, or do you just roam free until you find a place you like?

Matt.
J5 said, "ferrarilover is 100% correct"
Stevie_RitchTea
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Ruairi Keating

Post by Stevie_RitchTea »

New striker to be announced soon according to Twitter
TUST Member 405
pinitgull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by pinitgull »

Forgive me if I am wrong.....I assume Louis has to have his contract paid up. He will have been under contract until June. Even if it wasn't paid up in full, I know that the club will have had to offer a settlement.

You can't just tell a player he is free to leave..........