Next season.......

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

It may be somewhat naive to assume that the property developers, Stadia UK/GI will be building a stadium that will create revenue streams for TUFC. Such a move would be good news, of course, as this additional income has benefitted Exeter Chiefs enormously.

However, GI aren't in this for the benefit of TUFC.

Just maybe, any new stadium will have revenue streams that go directly to GI, and TUFC will simply be tenants, maybe paying a steep rent, with all food and bar takings going to Stadia UK/GI.
Plainmoor78
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Les Lawrence

Post by Plainmoor78 »

hector wrote:It may be somewhat naive to assume that the property developers, Stadia UK/GI will be building a stadium that will create revenue streams for TUFC. Such a move would be good news, of course, as this additional income has benefitted Exeter Chiefs enormously.

Just maybe, any new stadium will have revenue streams that go directly to GI, and TUFC will simply be tenants, maybe paying a steep rent, with all food and bar takings going to Stadia UK/GI.
That is a possibility. In that case there would be nothing in it for TUFC and then surely Dave Philips would not agree to a sale. We have to hope that Dave really is acting in the clubs best interests..
Jeff
Plays for Country
Plays for Country

Post by Jeff »

Think it's fair to say that this thread has diverged from what I intended it to discuss.

In an attempt to bring it back, I see that FGR have released Brett Williams, who is someone who has proved he can score goals at this level and might be a good strike partner for Bliss.
BobBobBob
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courtney Richards

Post by BobBobBob »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/36306723
Here's some random South West release lists:

Exeter: Clinton Morrison, Jason Pope, Manny Oyeleke and Will Hoskins

Yeovil: Leroy Lita, Marc Laird, Jack Compton, Chris Weale, Simon Gillett, Wes Fogden, Jakub Sokolik, Mark Beck, Shaun Jeffers and Jordon Gibbons

Newport: Yan Klukowski, Matt Partridge, Seth Nana-Twumasi, Rhys Taylor, Joe Green, Nathan Ralph, and Scott Barrow

Bristol Rovers: Rory Fallon.

I imagine Lita, Fallon and Morrison would be far too expensive. I might be correct in saying that Jack Compton is the son of former Torquay caretaker manager Paul Compton, and is supposed to be pretty good on the wing. I think Yan Klukowski is a good striker, but may return to Forest Green to replace Brett Williams.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/transfers
Here's some transfers involving clubs in our division:

Stockport County striker Kristian Dennis, who was on loan at Macclesfield, moved to Chesterfield

Woking striker John Goddard moved to Swindon
wivelgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: ROBIN STUBBS

Post by wivelgull »

Back in the Stone Age (when we were last in League One [or Division 3 for us codgers] our first home match was against Bristol City. They absolutely destroyed us (I think the score was 0-3 or 0-4); the chief destroyer was Leroy Lita who must rank as one of the best players I've seen at Plainmoor in 51 years of attending (not as good as Robin, though)
Parry
Out on Loan
Out on Loan

Post by Parry »

wivelgull wrote:Back in the Stone Age (when we were last in League One [or Division 3 for us codgers] our first home match was against Bristol City. They absolutely destroyed us (I think the score was 0-3 or 0-4); the chief destroyer was Leroy Lita who must rank as one of the best players I've seen at Plainmoor in 51 years of attending (not as good as Robin, though)
I haven't looked it up, but in my memory we were away to Bristol City and we won 1-0 with a goal from Joe Kuffour.
Orange Gull
Vice Captain
Vice Captain

Post by Orange Gull »

James Hurst has signed for AFC Telford, apparently he is a full back now. Who knew? Clearly he didn't impress at Guiseley.
Jerry
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Jerry »

Parry wrote: I haven't looked it up, but in my memory we were away to Bristol City and we won 1-0 with a goal from Joe Kuffour.
First home match was indeed away to Bristol City, but we drew 1-1 I believe.

The Lita hat-trick was later in that same season at Plainmoor. He scored 3 in the first half and then, much to our relief, was taken off at half time after Craig Taylor had finally got close enough to kick him. :lol:

I would agree with Wivel's assessment of Lita's performance, matched only in my eyes as a visiting striker by Robert Earnshaw for Cardiff.
royalgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Stevland Angus

Post by royalgull »

Lita was an odd player at Reading, technically ok, good in the air for someone his size, not as quick as you thought he would be but a bit like Defoe if he got a sniff around the box he'd a) shoot b) probably hit the target and invariably score.

Was a part of their squad when they won the league with 106 points and had a semi decent 1st season in the Prem, scored 2 in a win at Man City was probably his best game then whether it all went to his head or more likely his fairly limited game got worked out and he struggled on and off the pitch. Ever since then he's never really stuck around anywhere, bizarre really.
northlondongull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by northlondongull »

BobBobBob wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/36306723
Here's some random South West release lists:

Exeter: Clinton Morrison, Jason Pope, Manny Oyeleke and Will Hoskins

Yeovil: Leroy Lita, Marc Laird, Jack Compton, Chris Weale, Simon Gillett, Wes Fogden, Jakub Sokolik, Mark Beck, Shaun Jeffers and Jordon Gibbons

Newport: Yan Klukowski, Matt Partridge, Seth Nana-Twumasi, Rhys Taylor, Joe Green, Nathan Ralph, and Scott Barrow

Bristol Rovers: Rory Fallon.

I imagine Lita, Fallon and Morrison would be far too expensive. I might be correct in saying that Jack Compton is the son of former Torquay caretaker manager Paul Compton, and is supposed to be pretty good on the wing. I think Yan Klukowski is a good striker, but may return to Forest Green to replace Brett Williams.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/transfers
Here's some transfers involving clubs in our division:

Stockport County striker Kristian Dennis, who was on loan at Macclesfield, moved to Chesterfield

Woking striker John Goddard moved to Swindon
Jack Compton is Paul Compton's son - correct. He is useful and has come close to signing for us a couple of times. Would be a very good addition IMO.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

Jack Compton would be an excellent addition.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
Oh Fer Christ Sake
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courteney Richards

Post by Oh Fer Christ Sake »

hector wrote:It may be somewhat naive to assume that the property developers, Stadia UK/GI will be building a stadium that will create revenue streams for TUFC. Such a move would be good news, of course, as this additional income has benefitted Exeter Chiefs enormously.

And then, 6 months down the line when the club is bankrupt and forced to fold, what then for GI, who are lumbered with a £5m bill for a stadium which no one uses and which generates no income?

Use your head, man. The football club IS their source of income. If they wanted to build a bowling alley and a cinema, they'd simply buy the land wherever and build a bowling alley and a cinema. What they want to build is a football stadium. A football stadium with no football club is going to make precisely zero pounds and zero pence income in a year. Last time I looked, there weren't many millionaires wandering about who had that business model.

Dave SG keeps telling us that Eastleigh are the greatest thing since sliced bread. They make their own money, they're a great part of the community and they'll be winning the Champions League any day now. He attributes this to their facilities, the fact that they're self-sustaining. We haven't even got a meaningful carpark.
Those who have been to Kiddi will tell you parking is a fiver. They get 150 cars a week onto a piece of scrap land next to the ground and pay the wages of their goalkeeper for a season. We can't even muster that.

We're a buinesss, looking to expand and move to new premises. I don't see the gain in building a whole new office block, then sacking all the staff.
Oh Fer Christ Sake
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Courteney Richards

Post by Oh Fer Christ Sake »

Anyway, back on topic...

Ross Hannah turns down Chester in favour of furthering his career with...

Barrow.

You'd think 25 goals (or thereabouts) at Conference level would qualify him for a better move than that. I know it's relatively simple geographically, but come on. Do Barrow have cash?
Gulliball
TorquayFans Admin
TorquayFans Admin
Favourite player: Kevin Hill

Post by Gulliball »

Lots of cash. American millionaire who was born in Barrow and has said he wants to get them into the league. Ideal for Paul Cox to wheel and deal, as he did at Mansfield.
www.torquayfanstats.com
Twitter: @torquayfanstats
hector
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: jim mcnichol

Post by hector »

Oh Fer Christ Sake wrote: And then, 6 months down the line when the club is bankrupt and forced to fold, what then for GI, who are lumbered with a £5m bill for a stadium which no one uses and which generates no income?

Use your head, man. The football club IS their source of income. If they wanted to build a bowling alley and a cinema, they'd simply buy the land wherever and build a bowling alley and a cinema. What they want to build is a football stadium. A football stadium with no football club is going to make precisely zero pounds and zero pence income in a year. Last time I looked, there weren't many millionaires wandering about who had that business model.

Dave SG keeps telling us that Eastleigh are the greatest thing since sliced bread. They make their own money, they're a great part of the community and they'll be winning the Champions League any day now. He attributes this to their facilities, the fact that they're self-sustaining. We haven't even got a meaningful carpark.
Those who have been to Kiddi will tell you parking is a fiver. They get 150 cars a week onto a piece of scrap land next to the ground and pay the wages of their goalkeeper for a season. We can't even muster that.

We're a buinesss, looking to expand and move to new premises. I don't see the gain in building a whole new office block, then sacking all the staff.
Coventry don't do especially well out of playing at the Ricoh.

Anyway, I am talking about the additional revenue streams that could be tapped if Torquay United OWNED the stadium themselves and the profits of holding conferences/events were ploughed back into the club (as is the way of Exeter Chiefs) - but instead these profits will probably go to GI? Anyone who builds a stadium these days is mad if they build it simply for football. The associated facilities, linked to leisure and business, make enormous amounts of money, none of which could go to TUFC but instead all go to GI, with TUFC only getting their gate receipts.

Coventry at the Ricoh didn't even get the profits on portions of chips sold at the ground for their home games, until they moved to Northampton to make a point.