Management options

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by Dazza »

I don't mind if it's someone I have never heard of or if it's Raw Ronnie. I just want someone who in 2 years time we can say has been successful. IF GI are delaying to be sure that's okay in my book. Clearly further delay is not welcome but to make assumptions about us being a total reject club is nonsense and helps no one.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: mark loram

Post by westyorkshiregull »

I'm sure gi and Harrop have club at heart

I've total faith in them
Yorkieandy
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Kev Nic

Post by Yorkieandy »

When Ling left, apparently the club had hundreds upon hundreds of applications from some highly regarded, experienced managers. Alan Knill got the job.

When Knill was sacked we were led to believe the vacant post was hot and had attracted interest from some highly regarded, experienced managers. In came Chris Hargreaves.

When Hargreaves left we screwed up the one chance of getting someone in half decent in Cox and advertised again.

Hundreds upon hundreds of highly regarded, experienced managers were believed to have applied. Kev was appointed.

No doubt hundreds and hundreds of attractive CV waving highly regarded, experienced managers have applied for the job now so expect Paul Gascoigne in situ by the weekend.

There are good reasons for making assumptions that Torquay are a 'reject club'. The first one is called 'recent history'.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

5 year plan...local people on the board ...these are people which would have the interests of the club at heart mixed with a bit of business knowhow....

It's a f_ing joke

I swear to god when bateson was on charge I always said better the devil you know and how much that is true
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

GI are not my particular cup of tea either but I'd rather hope somehow they make a good appointment than wishing on a Phoenix star.
portugull
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: lee mansell
Watches from: Bristow’s Bench

Post by portugull »

I can wait if it means GI make the right appointment.

What concerns me deeply is that Harrop who is 55 has no experience of appointing a First Team Manager at a Professional Football Club. I could be wrong but his level seems to be Youth Teams. Could be way out of his depth. Do I trust him? No. Deeply unimpressive character and I suspect this will be a total disaster. Praying I am wrong.
Dazza
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by Dazza »

Maybe but Harrop is probably more qualified than the people who made the last 3 appointments.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

I'm not saying they will get it wrong ....all I feel is so far been fed lies....all summer and no 5 year plan.....all summer no local board members....delayed stuff on this ground lease / purchase thing....non attendance of games when actually in times of need that's does show some soildarty.

It us and them

It's not negative im just not neck deep with my head in sand willing to see us sink any bleeding lower

Maybe tomorrow we get a appointment and we all can focus on his first team selection and who knows 6 wins out of 10 we could be nearly mid table which would be amazing
brucie
Top Shirt Seller
Top Shirt Seller

Post by brucie »

Whether we have a local board or not probably means nothing - they are not going to have any say in the running of the club at all. Whilst I don't think the delay in appointing a manager thus far is unreasonable (no one was ever going to be appointed over the bank holiday weekend in the middle of the two games) it does seem to have become worryingly quiet today and the longer nothing happens then there would definitely seem to be cause for concern.
westyorkshiregull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Agreed bruce. Patience is running think for me. Today after a terrible weekend would have been good tonic.

The longer it goes on the better appointment im expecting
arcadia
Plays for Country
Plays for Country
Favourite player: Jake Andrews

Post by arcadia »

brucie wrote: 29 Aug 2017, 22:25 Whether we have a local board or not probably means nothing - they are not going to have any say in the running of the club at all. Whilst I don't think the delay in appointing a manager thus far is unreasonable (no one was ever going to be appointed over the bank holiday weekend in the middle of the two games) it does seem to have become worryingly quiet today and the longer nothing happens then there would definitely seem to be cause for concern.
The only point in having an experienced manager is if you are going to back him as an experienced manager needs money as that is what professional people do and are judged by this.

If there is no money your better off having a local manager. This is what Harrop has to decide as whats the point in having a manager who can't improve the team without money.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

Jeff wrote: 29 Aug 2017, 21:31 I know Merse said there were 3 contenders in the stands at Woking - totally understand why it isn't appropriate to name them but I'd be interested to know his thoughts in as vague a way of possible. Names we'd have heard of? People we'd be happy with etc.
Three managers not currently managing that I recognised in the stand I was sitting in (and there is another separate one beside that one); one I sat next to and spoke with and discussed player history, team set up and formations with plus two others with a history of being of assistance to Torquay United in the past. All taking notes, but were they applicants for the job? Only the two I didn't speak to know that, and the one I did has applied.

He has managed two National League clubs in very similar situations to that of Torquay at present; was last employed as assistant manager at a Football League club in a pretty hopeless situation themselves last season and currently coaches scholar pros at a Championship club. Might his last boss also be an applicant? It's possible I suppose...please don't try and pick my brains on their identities because it is frankly unethical and unfair to name them because all three or at least two of them (if applicants) are going to be unsuccessful and that won't look very good on their palmares will it!.

'People you'd be happy with'? Who knows; one man's meat is another man's poison and there were people who were happy with Farcegreaves and Nicholson when they were appointed weren't there.

Given what has been said by Harrop, I wasn't expecting anything public from the club today anyway because the players are off today and that means many won't even be in and around the town/club and it would not surprise me if today is the day finality has been reached and that it will all be announced tomorrow or to coincide with Thursday's weekly media conference by the manager.

The correct decision is of far more importance than a quick decision to please the fans. Pleasing the fans is of no consequence if events turn out as they did with the fan friendly appointments that Thea Bristow and Dave Phillips have made in the past. This is a professional job for a professional football person and like it or not, the professional charged with the job is Geoff Harrop.
Last edited by merse btpir on 29 Aug 2017, 23:39, edited 4 times in total.
merse btpir
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: robin stubbs

Post by merse btpir »

brucie wrote: 29 Aug 2017, 22:25 Whether we have a local board or not probably means nothing - they are not going to have any say in the running of the club at all.
We've had 'local boards' and they've neither been qualified to select a manager nor made a good job of it either. No point in having a professional football man in the building if he is not given licence to carry out this very important task in addition to a hundred and one other responsibilities he has of a football nature and so many not remotely connected to football.......Geoff Harrop is the General Manager NOT the Director of Football!
northyorkshiregull
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: benyon

Post by northyorkshiregull »

At the end of the day it's all about the money
Neal
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by Neal »

I know very little about this Harrop geezer. Other than I think he has been involved in football most of his life in one form or another, and of course managed Torquay for 1 game.

Is he qualified to choose a new manager, probably not, but who is. I would take his decision more than some local business man who just took over the club and had no experience of football at all.

Look in the end its GI pulling the shots here, they are probably putting together some odd contractual arrangement with very little money. Probably frightened off a few applicants. I say probably because I don't know, I just don't trust them so when things don't happen think the worse. So to put that right GI...................

What is the 5 year plan?
What is the current situation with the ground?
What is the playingg budget?

Answer the above HONESTLY GI and you would win over many fans AND maybe would get more tolerance, appreciation, understanding AND support for what is going on!!
TUST MEMBER