Player Search - Who Will Turn Up?

Discuss everything TUFC with fans across the globe.
nickbrod
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs
Watches from: Family Stand

Post by nickbrod »

Wonder who will be the first to find something negative?
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

2 very good signings, looking forward to seeing our new squad tomorrow night.
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by View1 »

There is nothing negative to offer, on paper they both look like decent signings to me but I also liked the look of last seasons squad before a competitive ball was kicked!

I’d love to see us sign a decent target man to offer a different dimension to our squad but these two should help offer decent competition in the squad and both (on paper) look like decent coups.
SatNav
Reserve Player
Reserve Player
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by SatNav »

Can somebody post an up-to-date squad list....
View1
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Rodney Jack

Post by View1 »

The other thing I like (compared to the last few years) is the way the budget seems to be stretching.

In the last few pre seasons it seemed to me the experienced players joined early then we brought in fillers to bolster the squad when we ran out of money. This year the experienced signings seems to be spread out indicating we haven’t given in too early to player demands and kept our poker hands closer to our chest.

Agents will advise their players to hold out for decent wages and contracts early and promise bigger opportunities are coming. If a club holds their nerve it’s around this time those agents come back cap in hand when they realise time is running out and keeping a budget to strike for such players is something I thing we haven’t been doing in recent times.
CraigUnder
Hat Trick Hero
Hat Trick Hero

Post by CraigUnder »

SatNav wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 21:07 Can somebody post an up-to-date squad list....
Torquay Squad so far:

GK: Alex Bass - (Signing - On Loan from Portsmouth)
GK: Shaun MacDonald - (Signing - Previously Blyth Spartans)

RB: Ben Wynter - (Signing - Previously Bromley and Hampton & Richmond)
LB: Liam Davis
CB: Jakub Sokolik
CB: Kyle Cameron - (Signing - Previously Newport County and Queen of South)
CB: George Essuman - (Signing - Previously Dover)
CB: Jean-Yves Koue Niate - (Signing - Previously Solihull and Guiseley)
CB: Josh Gowling - (Transfer listed)

CM: Samir Nabi - (Signing - Previously West Brom and Carlisle)
CM: Asa Hall - (Signing - Previously Barrow)
CM: Ryan Dickson (Signing - Previousy Yeovil Town)
RW: Bobson Bawling - (Signing - Previously Woking)
LW: Jason Banton - (Signing - Previously Woking)

ST: Brett Williams
ST: Jon Paul Pittman - (Transfer listed)
ST: Jamie Reid
ST: Ruairi Keating
ST: Olaf Koszela
MellowYellow
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Tony Scott

Post by MellowYellow »

I am going to praise Owers on the two latest (left-footed) signings. Not on talent alone, but because Owers has done what every coach strives to do but more often than not - fails! Namely the relatively simple, yet difficult, balance to attain in midfield and central defence: a right-foot, left-foot combination to essentially split the pitch in two. Great pairings in midfield and defence are usually products of a well-balanced approach divisible by feet.
Last edited by MellowYellow on 16 Jul 2018, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
CP Gull
Out on Loan
Out on Loan
Favourite player: Luke Young

Post by CP Gull »

Just looking at that squad, you just feel we might be one or two light of the quality needed in the striking department ... and perhaps a ‘brute” in midfield? Although maybe he is considering Essuman/Sokolik for that “role”? Otherwise, we are a little “top heavy” with centre backs ... at least while Gowling is still here.
kevgull
Top Scorer
Top Scorer

Post by kevgull »

MellowYellow wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 21:40 I am going to praise Owers on the two latest (left-footed) signings. Not on talent alone, but because Owers has done what every coach strives to do but more often than not - fails! Namely the relatively simple, yet difficult, balance to attain in midfield and central defence: a right-foot, left-foot combination to essentially split the pitch in two. Great pairings in midfield and defence are usually products of a well-balanced approach divisible by feet.
:goodpost:
Life is like TUFC. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. :goal:
desperado
Top Scorer
Top Scorer
Favourite player: Robin Stubbs

Post by desperado »

Was about to say the same thing CP , there must be another striker coming in, Owers doesnt want Pitman,
the young 16 year old wont really be a serious member of the squad yet, so we are relying on Williams, Keating
and Reid up front
budegull1954
Vice Captain
Vice Captain
Favourite player: Steve Cooper

Post by budegull1954 »

More on the Dickson signing from Ciderspace below (seems he's going to be used as a left-sided midfielder):

http://www.ciderspace.co.uk/ASP/news/ne ... emId=28708
__quiet__gull
On the Bench
On the Bench
Favourite player: Sills

Post by __quiet__gull »

Dickson will most likely be played in a midfield role including Hall, Nabi and Banton. Owers must see that Nabi is probably a few months from fitness and Asa has been injury prone of late, this Dickson is a good signing and looks fit. All we need now is a monster of a striker... else will be Reid and Williams and not sure that will work. Guess we may see the new defender a little in the game tomorrow.
Richinns
Country Captain
Country Captain
Favourite player: Kevin Kalala

Post by Richinns »

The last two players coming in are definitely bigger signs of intent to me than I was worrying we were showing last week and I agree it looks like Owers is playing a better hand with his budget than perhaps was seen last year when all the big signings arrived early and then we had to sign fillers to get the squad up to the required number (something that would haunt us with the early injuries we suffered).

Dickson in particular impresses me although it will be interesting to see how he goes in a position he has played little in throughout his career.

What is clear is we have more than enough cover for centre half and central midfield spots (with Essuman and Sokolik also able to play both). Davis also has cover but I wonder who can do the cover job for Wynter at right-back?

Wingers wise we have three it would seem (I expect Reid to be counted as this rather than a striker) so perhaps finished recruitment wise in that area.

I am sure Owers is more than aware the big piece of the jigsaw is still missing and let's hope he has something lined up in terms of a hold up/target man as if one comes in I think we will all be feeling a lot better about our chances.
TUST member 328
Your club needs you. Join the TUST now - http://www.torquaysupporters.co.uk/
__quiet__gull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by __quiet__gull »

Richinns wrote: 17 Jul 2018, 09:58 The last two players coming in are definitely bigger signs of intent to me than I was worrying we were showing last week and I agree it looks like Owers is playing a better hand with his budget than perhaps was seen last year when all the big signings arrived early and then we had to sign fillers to get the squad up to the required number (something that would haunt us with the early injuries we suffered).

Dickson in particular impresses me although it will be interesting to see how he goes in a position he has played little in throughout his career.

What is clear is we have more than enough cover for centre half and central midfield spots (with Essuman and Sokolik also able to play both). Davis also has cover but I wonder who can do the cover job for Wynter at right-back?

Wingers wise we have three it would seem (I expect Reid to be counted as this rather than a striker) so perhaps finished recruitment wise in that area.

I am sure Owers is more than aware the big piece of the jigsaw is still missing and let's hope he has something lined up in terms of a hold up/target man as if one comes in I think we will all be feeling a lot better about our chances.
:goodpost: - totally agree regarding Reid, although from the first two pre-season games Owers has seemed to pair him with another striker. We do need that big striker, is has seemed that we have struggled to find a big man for some while now.
__quiet__gull
On the Bench
On the Bench

Post by __quiet__gull »

nickbrod wrote: 16 Jul 2018, 20:37 Wonder who will be the first to find something negative?
Such a well timed post... and thankfully no negatives yet :-D